“A Modern Haven in a Quaint City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca

You added Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca to your Saves list
Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Ordonez Lasso S/N, Cuenca, Ecuador (Formerly Oro Verde Cuenca Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Desayuno Buffet
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Cuenca
Vilcabamba, Ecuador
“A Modern Haven in a Quaint City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel is my “go-to” property in Cuenca. Much as I appreciate terms like quaint, charming, historic, rustic, and the like, I do better work and sleep more restfully when I select one of the more modern, professionally run properties typical of the well-known international hotel groups.

Even though it is not part of a mega-chain, the Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca more than holds its own with its better known competitors. The décor is modern and upscale, the beds are extremely comfortable (I’ve discovered most Ecuadorian beds can be too firm for my liking), and the staff is courteous, efficient, and remarkably caring.

The buffet breakfast is plentiful and varied. The waiters will happily bring you cappuccinos to accompany the large selection of croissants, breads, cakes, and other sublimely decadent delicacies you can sample. In addition to custom made omelets, bacon and other breakfast meats, you can choose from a generous variety of Ecuadorian favorites.

My wife and I began each morning with a lovely walk along the river park that borders the hotel; for us, the perfect way to start the day. What’s more, the hotel is situated in a residential part of the city, well removed from the pollution and noise that are inevitable at almost all inner city properties.

What has left the most indelible impression on me was the concern for each guest that displayed by the entire staff. From that standpoint alone, I would rate the Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca as one of the best managed properties I have stayed in over the years. Within hours, everyone at the front desk made it their business to remember my name and ask what else they might do to make my stay more pleasant.

It doesn’t get much better than that!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Marcelo F, Director General at Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear JCKoven,

What a wonderful review!!!

We really thank you for the kind review and for complementing our hard working team; they are our greatest asset in delivering quality experiences.

We also thank you for helping us to spread the word to other travelers about our service and about our Hotel.

We constantly strive to exceed our guests' expectations and take great pride in delivering a five star experience.

Thank you much for your compliments and praise.

I request please that on your next visit you make your reservation directly to my personal email mferrari@oorverdehotels.com in order to personally welcome you and thank you for your wonderful comments about our service and our hotel.

Marcelo Ferrari

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015

We found the hotel staff to be extraordinarily attentive, friendly, and helpful. They were responsive to every need we expressed. The junior suite was spacious, aesthetically pleasing, and comfortable. We enjoyed the delicious breakfast buffet as well as one excellent dinner in the hotel's dining room. We were delighted with our experience in the hotel and highly recommend it for visitors to Cuenca.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Marcelo F, Director General at Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca, responded to this review, March 2, 2015
Dear Peter,

We thank you for the kind review.
We also thank you for helping us to spread the word to other travelers about our renowned service and amenities

We certainly look forward to your next visit.

Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2015

We didn't know what to expect, Cuenca was an unknown. The hotel, from the rooms to the staff amazed us -- modern décor, beautiful and comfortable rooms -- and the staff exceeded our expectations and provided a high level of service. The food was good, and restaurant service was excellent.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Marcelo F, Director General at Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca, responded to this review, February 19, 2015
Dear Guest,

We thank you for the kind review and for complementing our hard working team; they are our greatest asset in delivering quality experiences.
Thank you for your compliments and praise.
We certainly look forward to your next visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2015

The hotel oro verde is located near the downtown area of Cuenca. The hospitality is awesome. My first time in Ecuador. This hotel is similar to any 4 to 5 star hotel in USA. Friendly, clean and bilingual staff. Very accommodating to everyone's needs.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Marcelo F, Director General at Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca, responded to this review, February 18, 2015
Dear Guest,

What a wonderful review!.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us! On behalf of the entire Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our Hotel.
We look forward to your next visit.

Somerville, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2015 via mobile

This is my fourth or fifth time ordering the same entree over the past six months. The first evening my entree fettucvine with sals 4 queso was excellent. Since then the consistency changes. Tonights rendition was not good at all, barely any sauce so pretty grainy with grated cheese. A garnish on the plate would be a plus, the plate did not have good eye appeal. The bread on my first visit was excellent, great variety of breads and sticks but since then the bread has consisted of 2 dried out tasteless rolls, I would expect better from a hotel that in probability has a pastry chef. Once my food was delivered I never had anyone come back to the table to ask how my meal was. I was never presented a check so I paid the cashier. For a hotel of this caliber, I would expect a better experience.

butter

Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2015

The exterior appearance is not great - looks quite cold and old, with limited parking. But appearances are deceiving because inside is a modern hotel with a large restaurant, lounge, pool, and several nice shops. Staff all spoke very good English. They even switched the TV in the dining room to an English sports channel when they heard us talking about sports. Rooms are in a contemporary style, everything was quite new so I assume they have recently remodeled. Cannot comment about location as we did not have a chance to see much of Cuenca but the hotel is convenient to the nearby El Cajas NP.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Marcelo F, Director General at Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca, responded to this review, February 5, 2015
Dear Guest,

Oro Verde Hotel Cuenca family thanks you for taking some of your valuable time to refer your comment.

We hope to have you back soon.

With highest regards,
Guayaquil, Guayas, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2015

And we're back after a couple decades to see how this hotel has improved. Brand new rooms, delicious food and amazing service from the personnel. And just a couple of minutes from the historic center.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Marcelo F, Director General at Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca, responded to this review, January 11, 2015
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your valuable comment.

We are pleased that your liked our new rooms.

It´s going to be an honor to give this flattering comment to our staff since we are working really hard to provide you the best of our service, to make you feel like your own home.

Hope we have you with us any time soon.

Best Regards,
Marcelo Ferrari

Been to Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca? Share your experiences!