“Great Service, Good Food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Ecuadorean, International, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Michigan
“Great Service, Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I went to this restaurant with some folks I met at my hostel. We had a great time. Our server, Adrian, was excellent. He was very accommodating to any request we had including an order of a custom salad that included anything that was green! A great evening!

Visited February 2014

St. John's, Canada
“A gem of a find behind a small entry door.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and I decided that we would walk a block or so further away from our usual eating areas around The plaza. The small entry door to the resturant was deceptive of the lovely decor we found upstairs. This was my meat night and it was the best I had tasted in Ecuador, chased down with a lovely Chilean complementary glass of Sharaz. The waiter was THE BEST informed we have met in this country and he knew exactly how to measure the amount of information he gave us on the various dishes and sauces. Lovely table setting, very reasonable prices and very fast service. It was a Gem of a find from the many 'run of the mill' restaurant we have sampled.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cuenca, Ecuador
“Out of the ordinary!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Finally got to try Las Monjas restaurant on Borrerro y Juan Jaramillo with friends visiting from Seattle. The menu is intriguing because of locally grown ingredients put together skillfully and imaginatively. A free appetizer included toasted bread with 4 different and unusual sauces like pumpkin seed, pumpkin pickle, tree tomato and the 4th I can't remember. They kindly served us more bread on request. My entree of pork loin with a delicious mora sauce was accompanied by a quinoa/asparagus side as well as some nicely steamed broccoli. My friends enjoyed a chicken dish and a shrimp entrée. At the end of our dinner, our wonderful server, Adrian, treated us with a complimentary shot of "leche de tiger" which was a tasty little eggnog-like treat with a hint of some kind of liquor. With a glass of wine, my bill was around $15.00 including service and tax but I left a little extra for wonderful service. All in all, the evening, the service, the food, and the décor was wonderful. The only thing I would change, would be the lighting as some of the overhead lights were too bright. But this is a very nice restaurant that stands out from the crowd!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Cuenca, Ecuador
“Consistently One of the Best Restaurants in Cuenca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

During the 3+ years my wife and I have been living in Cuenca, Las Monjas has always been a great choice for a first class lunch or dinner with friends, out of town visitors, or just the two of us. The modern decor is very attractive, the El Centro location is convenient, and the ambiance is quiet and calm. The menu is sophisticated but not nearly as pricey as the other top rated restaurants in Cuenca. (We especially like the various Corvina dishes, but their non-seafood offerings are excellent as well.) A full bar offers some spirits we haven't been able to find elsewhere in Cuenca. The waiters are fun, friendly, and English speaking. If you have never tried Las Monjas, or haven't been there lately, do yourself a favor and go!

Andover, Massachusetts
“Very good creative food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This attractive upscale restaurant is up a flight of stairs. There was only one other couple there when we visited and the next night there did not seem to be anyone there when we walked past. This is a mystery, because the food was creative and very good. The Cuencana soup, had pork, cabbage, pear, and (a bit too much) cilantro, which doesn't sound like it would work, but was delicious. Squash ravioli in blue cheese sauce was very rich and cheesy. We both greatly enjoyed our meals. At the end we were given a complimentary house-made drink which tasted much like Bailey's and went down very easily.