“good hotel in every sense of the word” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Folklore Hotel

You added Folklore Hotel to your Saves list
Folklore Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Madrid E13_93 y Pontevedra | Pichincha, Quito 539, Ecuador   |
Ranked #78 of 109 Hotels in Quito
venezuela
“good hotel in every sense of the word”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Where to start ... We were recommended by a family member Hostal folklore ... At first I was a little in doubt because the word "hostel" was not the first thing that came into my mind for our friends to stay while attending the wedding in Quito. However, we visited the site in one of our trips and love. Very spacious and clean, free internet and excellent service at a price unbeateble.
We booked about 10 rooms (double and single) ... When we arrived everything was ready for us without problems ....
Hostel staff folklore adapted to our needs ... I remember we had a group of 25 young partygoers South Florida in our group and everyone loved me .... The breakfast buffet was very good
The guys at the reception, where is always there to help ... call a taxi for us to recommend places to visit and make everyone in the hostel are satisfied with the service.
Overall it was a great experience ... We are grateful for your efforts! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants to visit Quito ... is truly a hidden gem!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel, a very good & quite location with only a 10 minute walk in to the more hustle & bustle of the marascal and a short taxi ride to the old city of Quito. Staff were very friendly & helpful and if i went back to Quito i wouldnt hesitatye to stay at the Folklore hotel again! Darren London

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Zurich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

Dear fellow travellers, the opinions posted here recently may give you an impression which does not value the Hotel Folklore and the efforts of its owner and staff. Certainly, there are more luxurious places, but it is a friendly, cosy place in a quiet and safe neighbourhood, from where shops, restaurants and bars are accessible on foot in a few minutes, for anybody who is ready to walk a few steps. And then, the noisy bars of Mariscal are not just across the street. I spent several days there in March 2008 with my wife, enjoying one of the outside rooms, a hearty breakfast everyday, and the joyful and interesting sightseeing hints and tours by the owner. He speaks very well english, some of the staff less, your spanish travelling vocabulary will break the ice. If you don't expect a low-cost student's party hostal with late check-out after long nights out, or a luxurious honeymooners get-away, you will be very welcome at this small, friendly place, just as we were in March 2008, and have an enjoyable place to stay in Quito.

Chris and Andrea,
May 09, Switzerland

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Nashville, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

This hotel was our least favorite place we stayed during our two weeks in Ecuador. The staff was friendly, but the hotel itself wasn't very clean. Our bathroom smelled very mildewed. The pitcher of drinking water that was left in the room had algae growing in the bottom. We stayed only one night and then moved on.

• Liked — airport transfer provided for additional cost
  • Disliked — unclean
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
hotelfolklore, Propietario at Folklore Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
I felt sorry for these errors "

As the owner, I feel very frustrated reading this review because some things that happen in the hotel are out of my reach, since we rely heavily on personnel working on site, in this case I see the cleaning staff did not fulfill their work and the presentation of the room was in a bad time. As I wrote in previous comments, these errors we have learned a lot in these years of work and new experiences and are always looking to improve our service and presentation, we now believe that these errors do not exist in our warm hotel.
Buttaba, New South Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on this website. In future I will be more careful. The Folklore website portrays the property in an entirely light to the real situation. We arrived at this hotel late in the evening as a stopover on our way to a Galapagos Islands cruise. On seeing the broken glass embedded into the top of the concrete wall and the iron gate, we had second thoughts and after seeing the room, wanted to leave immediately. However, we had no idea where else to go and knew we had to leave very early in the morning anyway.

I was persuaded to put up with it and stay. However, I felt compelled to write this review to give other potential visitors a more accurate view of this place. We paid $US60 for a appalling room in which the furtniture was broken, the bathroom was miniscule and shabby with a very mouldy shower recess and security was an issue as the window from the bedroom opened into the loungeroom with only a flimsy latch to hold it. An unpleasant smell pervaded the whole place, the woman on the desk appeared to speak no english and the breakfast promised (which was minimal and cost extra for anything but toast and tea)was only available between 8.30am and 10.00am! The only positive thing I can say about this place is that the sheets were clean.

We had originally booked a second night after the completion of our cruise, however we did not return and booked into the Nu House Boutique Hotel instead which was $US89/night for a beautiful room, champagne on arrival, fruit dipping plate, huge buffet breakfast, extremely helpful staff and late checkout!

Do not book this place as there are far better places to stay in Quito offering much better value than the Folklore!

• Liked — Clean Sheets
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
VERY SORRY , WAS NOT OUR INTENTION !

As the owner of the hotel Folklore, quisera clarify that this bad moment that happened this breakfast , it was not intentional , I remember that they had booked the suite with fireplace and it was their honeymoon , but there was a confucion with reservations and people who were in the suite above, wanted to be several more nights and the manager of that time was very new and did not realize that there was a new booking on the same night , it was a mistake not to tell the truth and as the hotel was full we made error to give a room that was not ready to 100% and if it is true that the room was small with tiny bathroom , but as I say it was a mistake of that time . Today we learned a lot from those mistakes and we think we have a better work experience. Would like to know if these huspedes can return to Quito and to reward them with hosting courtesy our best hotel room to right the wrongs that had in the past . We know it's all very different now and we have taken special care in what is cleanliness and overall service quality .
Thank you very much everyone for understanding our situation at that time .
attentively
Bernardo Arias
newark, DE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

First I must state that I am generally a very understanding human being and traveler. I have never written a review before and I hope that I will never again have to again. When traveling around the world and staying in hostels I do not expect much, and understand that it can be difficult to find good help and keep rooms perfectly clean etc.., everyone makes mistakes. What I experienced at the Folklore Hotel, however, was unforgivable. The prison-esk exterior walls are a clear statement about the neighborhood, and while dishonest management can sometimes be pardoned, when they locked us inside the walls and demanded money, it was an unforgivable violation.

Here is what happened: We were very unsatisfied with the accommodations (for the price it was suppose to be quite nice, and it was far far from that), the location was extremely far from downtown and the neighborhood was sketchy and unsafe (they don’t show you on their website, but the front of the property has a 5 foot concrete wall, iron door that can only be opened by a secret button operated by the attendant at the front desk, and all this toped with another 5 feet of chain fence crowned with razor wire – it looks like a yellow prison from the outside). Quite simply we did not feel safe at all. When we first arrived we had to wait at the iron gate for almost 5 minutes before someone finally let us in. Then they only had us on the books for one room, but since they were not very full they were able to give us a second room. The final straw was seeing the rooms. They were sooo overpriced for their condition and the location that we felt very justified in going somewhere else.

We politely informed them that we were unsatisfied and were going to leave (they have NO cancellation policy on their website where we booked expect for a statement that they “trust in your reservation as you trust in us”) After seeing the place in person it is fair to say that our “trust” in them had been broken first. The women at the front desk, who was high ranking management/owner of some kind, firstly pretended to not speak English when she heard we wanted to leave even though I had heard her speaking English to an Australian girl earlier. Then she demanded we pay for half of our reservation as their “cancellation policy.” She demanded half for both rooms even though when we arrived there was only one room on the books for us. Not to mention that even paying half for one of the rooms was absurd given that it wasn’t even a day earlier that the reservation was made, and that the entire presentation of the place on their website was the definition of false advertising. And top that off with how unsafe and far from places to eat and shop the neighborhood was, we deserved to leave with no penalty at all. But she was stone cold and demanded payment, to which I refused at first stating my reasons as best I could, but my girlfriend was getting upset at the confrontation and so we tried to bargain and pay for half of one of the rooms, thus technically giving them a cancellation fee for the one room that had been booked. She still refused and demanded full payment. At this point we were disgusted and decided to leave.

Here I must state that if the situation had ended there, I would not have bothered to write a review for the place. But after the next event, I wish I could have contacted the police, let alone write a review that only a few people will read.

Remember the iron gate with the secret button behind the counter? Turns out the gate can’t be opened from the inside either without pressing the button. The women refused to open the gate and let us leave. I was absolutely furious. She had locked us in, we were prisoners at Hotel Folklore. My first instinct was to walk behind the counter and find the button myself, but the barring of the door had scared my girlfriend so much that she had begun crying and begging me to just pay her whatever she wanted so that we could leave. I couldn’t let her suffer any longer. I payed her and the door opened. It was a disgusting act. I still feel dirty from the whole interaction. I hope that no one has to go through this experience again.

The woman knew she was doing something very wrong by barring the door. Once she denied us exit, she looked slightly scared. That is as much sympathy as I can conjure, however. Keep this in mind before considering Hotel Folklore, despite all of its other major drawbacks, the iron gate gives them too much power over you and they are too quick to use it.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
folkloreQuito, Dueño at Folklore Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2009
Hola Amigos de Trip Advisor y viajeros en general,
Hello Friends from Trip Advisor and travellers in general

We would like to ask for a bit of your time to give us the opportunity to respond to this negative and intentionally false information that has been posted here:

During the last nine years Hotel Folklore in Quito, Ecuador has maintained a good reputation with travelers from all over the world. It makes us sad that a few irresponsible and badly behaved travelers can use this site to publish false information about out of some sort of completely incomprehensible and unjustified vendetta.

First of all we would like to clarify a few matters: the neighborhood where Hotel Folklore is situated is called la Floresta – and it is generally considered one of the safest areas in Quito. It is close to the famous Mariscal, but a whole lot safer. It furthermore offers a series of tourist facilities such as cafés, bars, restaurants, internet cafés, etc.

The three young travelers who have posted these negative commentaries claims that:
The young women who attended them refused to speak English with them. This is a blatant lie, since miss Yadira simply does not speak English. Why would anyone in their right mind working in the tourist service industry refuse to speak to the customers? It does make sense at all. The truth is that the only person in the Hotel Folklore who speaks English, is the owner, Bernardo.

Later on these persons claim that there were only one room for them – and that they had reserved 2 rooms. We respected their reservation when they arrived in the morning and gave them the two rooms; a single and a double superior. We even gave them copies of the keys to the main entrance of the house as we normally do with all our visitors.

These three persons used the reserved rooms, but later on during the afternoon they
came back and told us that the price was too high since they were students, and that they did not want the rooms after all. This could hardly be any surprise to them since they had agreed to the price when the reservation was made – and furthermore Hotel Folklore has website where our prices are available. Taking into account that it was the high season in Ecuador, they were asked to pay 50% of the price of the first night since they had already used the rooms during the day.

Afterwards they say that they felt like in a jail and they accuse us of being dangerous and criminal, but remember that we give all customers a key to the front gate and they could leave any time they wanted to without having to wait for someone to open the door. What the young lady at the reception did was to demand a 50% payment for rooms they had already used – which is also her job.

These youngsters say they have traveled the world, but somehow it seems hard to believe; why would a person first spend hours in his room and then afterwards decide it was too expensive and that he did no longer want it, because it seems too expensive. As metioned before we have web site with all prices posted along with photos. You can check it out here:
Based on that – and by seeing the room, it should be possible to figure out if you want a room or not in a couple of minutes.

We do not want to publish the names of these persons, since we respect the human integrity of others, but we do also ask that this work the other way around.

We would only like to ask you to read the other commentaries posted here about Hotel Folklore and not to base your decision on these vindictive and malicious comments.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

Best regards – Folklore Hotel, Bernardo Arias
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

I just got back to the U.S. after spending 17 days in Quito, all of them at the Folklore Hotel. The Folklore is more like a very reasonable B&B than a hostal (although there are rooms with multiple beds). The first night I arrived there, the owner, Bernardo (who lives on the property with his young family), met me at the door with a smile and a "Bienvenidos!". He had been expecting me, and after a long flight it was really nice to be greeted like that.

Bernardo spent time going over a map of Quito with me, pointing out places of interest and how to get there. We even had breakfast together my first morning, where he talked to me all about Ecuador and even showed me some videos of various sites.

The complimentary breakfast is simple, but very generous. And the rooms are clean, if humble, and each with its own character. Mine was a single room (with my own bathroom and a hot-water shower), that overlooked the Andes' mountains. There's also cable TV, should that interest you. Each day the rooms are made up and cleaned by a very nice girl who works for the hostal. I always came back to a freshly made bed, re-supplied bathroom, and my shades pulled back to reveal the great view.

The neighborhood was perfect for me. I wanted something quiet and outside the tourist area (the Mariscal). La Floresta is close to everything, yet very serene on the weekends. There's even a new supermarket right down the street, and Bernardo welcomes you to cook in the hostal's kitchen and even use the refrigerator for storage.

Considering the price, the very friendly and safe vibe, and the location -- I would return in a second.

• Liked — The staff, the price, the neighborhood
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

It is very satisfying read well intentioned comments and based on real feelings for us will always be a pleasure to give the best of us and allow all who visit us feel at home.

Our small hotel but a place of lodging is a place where we want to know our Ecuadorian culture and also to make friends.

Always a pleasure to be back to these friends ever visited us to see them again and again.
Thank you!
Folklore Hotel

Been to Folklore Hotel? Share your experiences!