“Great hacienda” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Quito
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Great hacienda”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We had a very great time at La Alegria. The hacienda is very beautiful, and Gabriel and Paty are very friendly and great hosts. The ambiance in the hacienda is very nice, so I can recommend Alegria to everyone. Gabriel and his staff take very good care of their horses, and we had a beautiful ride to Cotapaxi. In our 4 month trip to South-America, this was really one of the highlights. A great experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We really enjoyed our trip; Alegria is a beautiful hacienda with excellent food and facilities,Gabriel and Patti were wonderful hosts, and i would highly recommend it for those who want a horseback wilderness adventure with often long days in the saddle,with varying terrain,and weather. The accommodation on route was also varied giving a flavour of local rustic, and smart.The views were fabulous especially the Cotopaxi.The two day trek to the cloud forest was unique as were the lovely hosts at the hacienda. The horses were easy to ride and made light work of the varying and often steep terrain.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Konstanz, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Staying at Paty and Gabriel´s Hacienda La Alegria, has been for me a MUST every year I go back to Ecuador. Their warm welcome in their wonderful Hacienda together with the the best horsemanship team I have known until now, make my holidays at my country a "going back to my own roots" experience which soths my nostalgious soul. This Januar we rode from the Hacienda to Banos in 6 days at an average of 41Km/day, with about 6h riding time and reaching the highest point of 4.240mt on our first day by crossing the Volcan Ruminahui. Our really good riders team of 2+1men Gabriel, Rodrigo + Fabian oder another guide, and 3 women from Brazil, Germany and Gemany/Ecuador and of course the 9+1horses made this geographycally complicated journey safe every time. Our horses adapted to this region took us stoically thru icy, freezing rain, wet swamps, lava rolling stones, lava sand steep hills, green valleys, ancient inca remainings paths, dry lava sonny areas, and brought us safe and happy to the small town Banos at the mountainslopes of the active Volcan Tungurahua. We passed the sides of the Cordillera de los Llanganates were it is said that the last commander of the Inca military troup, Ruminahui, when he got the news, that Atahualpa the last Inca king had been mordered in Quito by the spanish conquers, decided to hide the ransom gold in these foggy inaccesibly mountains. We saw the beautifull rainbow pointing at it! Our logistik man Jorge an elderly employee Gabriel´s succeded to always meet us at the end of our journey bringing us what was necessary to camp and overnight. The commitment of the crew was always incredible and I thank Gabriel with my heart for this experience. ML

Room Tip: an advice to everyone who would like to do this tour: you have to be a very good rider, without been...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Gabriel1703, Owner at Hacienda La Alegria, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Monica
many thanks for your nice comments
today we are nominated on the 15 best horse trekking on the world
as you know our hacienda experience is unique and live time experience .
I am disappointed about your comments on cleanness and also ask you to qualify the hacienda conditions, because we were at several hotels and haciendas by the 250 km ride.
so this place is about hacienda la alegria quality control, help us to maintain the 11 years of family work.
We will be more careful on the next rides and I will contact you to share your recommendations
Gabriel
Lorton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recently spent 2 nights at Hacienda la Alegria. I had high expectations from the previous reviews and ratings and all of them was met and exceeded. We were the only guests during our stay. Patti and Mauricio were with us all the time which I didn't expect (great companies). They took us to a local market an hour away because my husband wanted to try local fruits. Both hosts were very knowledgeable about everything from history, plants, to the economy and arts. They both speak perfect English. The room was marvelous. The view was breath-taking. We booked a one day horse ride with Mauricio as our guide. The ride could be as short or as long as we wanted. The scenery during the ride was also amazing. Food at the farm was always good. The resident dogs were also great hosts, following us everywhere and greeting us in the morning. I can go on and on but the bottom line is it is impossible to not like this place.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed two weeks at the Alegria with my two kids aged 12 and 14. Directly coming from Paris, we first spent one week at the hacienda enjoying Gabriel's and Paty's hospitality, going on day rides and discovering the magnificent area. We also joined the hacienda's team at the annual chagras event in Machachi, what a great moment for all of us ! We were wearing the hacienda's ponchos and hats, riding through the overcrowded streets of the city amongst several hundreds of other horses, music...Great ! On the second week we went on the volcano ride around the Cotopaxi, riding through gorgeous landscapes with Gabriel and Rodrigo. At night we played cards with them, my kids showed them their music, we spoke about the country...It was really a memorable experience for the 3 of us, with a strong family feeling that remains long after...I highly recommend this place with riding teenagers, we are regularly going on rides in different places and La Alegria was certainly in our top list.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Gabriel1703, Owner at Hacienda La Alegria, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Bernard

Many thanks for your comments, we fill that your nice family were as guest, we share our passion from the mountains, horses and local culture, which we respect very much.
For 2014 we offer 20 rides that can be from 6 to 12 days riding, with the only car transfer from and to the airport, day by day you ride and travel in our amazing country that offers extraordinary sceneries day by day.
un abrazo a tus hijos
Gabriel
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I made the decision to come here based on these reviews and because I was trying to find a suitable birthday occasion for my horse mad daughter. What a brilliant decision and I can't top all the rave reviews already provided except to say ditto and more. The trouble they went to of their own volition to make my daughter's birthday one she will never forget was remarkable. She felt one of the family and I can't thank them enough. The cooking was only surpassed by the amazing service from Mauricio to the general hospitality staff. I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

Room Tip: Upstairs views are truly sublime
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Gabriel1703, Owner at Hacienda La Alegria, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Fiona

we are happy that Miranda has so nice time at Hacienda La Alegria
we are so proud to have a nice place with a very good team. The goal is to get a live time experience.
Hacienda la Alegria offers a lot of options for single, couples, business and families.
AT 2014 we will make our best to make our guests enjoy their stay at the working Dairy Farm, with 220 cattle, 64 horses and 23 alpacas, and 4 dogs.
Barneveld, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed 3 nights in this beautiful hacienda. From my room with comfy bed I had a breathtaking view on the mountains. There is free wifi in the rooms.
Mauricio, who spoke English, is a very knowledgeable guide who can tell you a lot about the hacienda and the area through which we made the horseback rides. Halfway my first ride I got sick because of some food I ate elsewhere the day before. Before Mauricio escorted me back to the hacienda he informed the staff that I would be back shortly and that they should prepare some oregano tea for the stomach and he made sure I ate at least some soup for dinner.

The horses are easy to ride and very relaxed. Not at all intimidated by barking dogs or passing traffic while riding through a town center.
After a long ride, the hot tub is such a treat to relax the muscles! And it's a tub with a view...

During my stay I met other tripadvisor member "ninanancy", and we had dinners together with Mauricio. The 3-course dinners were delicious and different every time, just like the breakfasts and lunches.

The hacienda also has a working dairy farm. Even if you don't like horseback riding it is a great and quiet place to stay. Just walk around the farm with horses, cows, lama's, and dogs or read a book while in the hot tub with a glass of wine.

Hopefully I will have an opportunity to visit this lovely place again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hacienda La Alegria? Share your experiences!