“remote, beautiful, community run ecolodge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Lucia Cloud Forest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quito
Santa Lucia Cloud Forest
You added Santa Lucia Cloud Forest to your Saves list
Barrio La Delicia | Nanegal Grande, Quito 00000, Ecuador   |
Ranked #20 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Quito
Coos Bay
“remote, beautiful, community run ecolodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

This was a great experience from the very start. Mules carried our bags up to the lodge on the mule trail as my husband and I followed our guide up to the lodge on the main trail. The walk in was about 1.5 to 2 hours all uphill. We were prepared for a very rustic experience, but what we got was a gorgeous private cabin overlooking the valley below, great meals, and a very knowledgable guide who took us on walks every morning and talked to us after dinner every night to ask us what we wanted to do for the next day. We stayed 4 nights and quickly developed a routine of birding and hiking in the morning and taking a siesta after lunch as the rains started up. We truly appreciated that this was a community run lodge, developed by a number of families who had originally been given the land after a government land reform program. After agricultural efforts did not pan out, the families decided to try an ecolodge, a gutsy move considering its remote location and hike in. The cloudforest location is a great draw for birders and biologists. The only negative comment I have was the lack of coffee in the morning (it was available the first morning and then it was black tea from then on), a hard thing for an addict like myself! And no I did not ask, figuring that they had not had their mule delivery recently! Other than that, a fabulous place. The last night we were there, a number of young men picked up their instruments and played traditional ecuadorian music after dinner, what a treat!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I cannot recommend Santa Lucia highly enough. It is the most beautiful place with breathtaking views and stunning birdlife. There are many areas in which to walk and many fascinating things to see. The food is simple but delicious and the fresh juices are to die for! The view from the cabanas are absolutely amazing and overhang the cloud forest. There was no electricity in our cabana but this made it very romantic! We saw over 120 species of bird and lots of beautiful orchids. There is also the most amazing rope swing- it's a must do!
The only word of warning I would have is to be prepared for a LOT of walking- most of which is up or downhill. If you don't mind that, and you like scenery and wildlife, you will absolutely love this place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

I have now visited Santa Lucia lodge on 3 occasions over the last few years, both as a volunteer and a tourist. My initial trip, inspired a period of 2 years of worldwide travel, leading to volunteering again 2 years on. The lodge is beautiful, the views you get on reaching the lodge are just amazing. The people always offer a very warm and friendly service. If you are in Ecuador and want to experience the fantastic sights of the cloud forest and the forever welcoming local hospitality as well s the great local cuisine, then this is the place to visit.

The accommodation is in either the eco-lodge, or one of 5 brand new cabins, all offering amazing views of the mountain scenery. The lodge is remote and although it seems a bit of a mission to walk the trail from the end of the road to the lodge (allow an hour, but don't worry the mules take your main backpacks), you are rewarded for your labors by receiving one of the most amazing vistas you could imagine.

There is really nothing that I can fault about Santa Lucia and I would visit again at any available opportunity. Thanks to all the workers for the good work and I wish the best of success to them in the future.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Providence, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

My boyfriend and I are nature photographers and we visited Santa Lucia to photograph and do some biridng. We took a bus from Quito and it worked out perfectly (and only cost 2.00 one way as opposed to getting van service from the lodge which was quite expensive). The bus takes you right into the village and people from Santa Lucia will pick you up. They drove us up to the trailhead and we packed our luggage on mules and then hiked up with a guide. It was a rigorous hike, mostly because of the altitude. This is not for very small children or anyone that does not regularly exercise. It was completely worth it! We have both traveled to more than 10 countries and across the U.S. and agreed it was one of the most beautiful places we've ever been.

The stay was fantastic - nice and rustic room - warm lodge, compositing toilets and hot showers (welcome after a day of hiking). The food was also great. They provided a naturalist guide for us as well and he was excellent (we generally do not like dealing with guides). The birding guides there are particularly good. They are committed to finding birds and are very excited about getting up early. One guide took us out to the cock of the rock lek at 3:30am to set up for photos. Incredible.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants a bit of adventure, an affordable stay, and the opportunity to support a lodge that is supporting a community and an ecosystem.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Aromas CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

This is a community run lodge with cabins and dorms a two hour walk up a mountain into the cloud forest. Great views, wildlife, and remarkable people. Accomodations and food are first rate, given that everything there comes up on foot or mule. Great for birders, anyone interested in cloudforest ecology, or anyone interested in getting comfortably off of the grid.

Los Osos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

I visited this lodge with a friend because of its remote natural location, the great variety of birds and other wildlife, the very eco-friendly nature of its operation, and the local ownership which keeps profits in the community near Santa Lucia. It was everything I expected and more. To get to the lodge I rode in their vehicle to the end of the dirt road out of Nanegal and hiked a couple of miles up to the lodge - they used mules for the luggage. The lodge is located on a ridge with an incredible view of the valley below and the cloud forest behind. I could hear nothing but nature around the lodge - no cars or other sounds of "civilization". While the composting toilets, solar-heated showers, and lack of electricity might make the place sound like "roughing it", it is really very clean and comfortable with excellent food and a very courteous and capable staff. It is a very sociable place in the common areas as well - with vistors from all over the world, and local staff who are not segregated from the guests, but freely mingle, play cards, visit, etc. The hiking trails provide great birdwatching and natural sightseeing. We hired a local guide for a reasonable price and it was well worth it as he showed us things we would never have seen or otherwise appreciated. This location is a geat place for hiking, birding, botanizing, photographing, and just relaxing. The people who own the lodge are also preserving and restoring habitat as well as educating local people. I not only thoroughly enjoyed myself (the Cock-of-the -rock lek is a lifetime experience) but at the same time felt I was helping to support a very worthy cause. I would not recommend this place for people with physical disabilities or those looking to stay in a glitzy place with swimming pools and a night club atmosphere, and TVs and phones, but for me it was heaven. (Be prepared for no electricity - bring extra batteries, a book or two to read, cards, a musical instrument, other non-electronic entertainment, etc.)

• Liked — comfortable, quiet, eco-friendly and in a beautiful setting
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kauai Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

For a true nature lover, its hard to beat Santa Lucia. You can pay to be picked up from Quito (80 km or 50 miles) or just arrange to meet in the town of Nanegal (we took the bus to Nanegal, very cheap) This is a real ecotourism adventure. The lodge was formed by several members of a community living and farming in the area who decided to conserve the area. They stopped farming and began bringing in tourists. It is remote and rustic. Community members rotate through as cooks/caretakers/ and guides.
From Nanegal you are taken by truck to the trail head, and donkeys head up the hill with your packs from there while you walk, It is a good 2-3 hour hike uphill, but is very pleasant. There is no electricty, but you won't be staying up late, as you get up early for hikes and bird-watching. Our guide was amazing, mostly self-taught, truly loves the jungle and is incredibly knowledgeable. He knows all the birds there and their calls. It was great listening to the birds answer him back! And he knows about the birds too, their habits, etc. The montane cloudforest is a unique environment and we learned a lot.
On my visit in 12/06 I went with another person and there was just one other person in the whole lodge, but they can accomodate about 20 people. The food was delicious (popcorn in the soup...surprisingly good! The bathrooms are shared, and during the day you are expected to use the composting toilets, which were very clean. Showers are also shared, and have the best view of any shower I've ever had!
The rooms are mostly for 2-4 people. There is a large common area and dining room to hang out in, and I enjoyd playing cards with the staff or taking naps in the afternoon in the hammocks on the porch. There is a nice reading library filled with nature and bird books. Lots of info in English, but some of the guides have limited English skills...they can tell you the English names for the wildlife and a little info, but if you speak Spanish you'll get more out of the experience.
In summary, this place is for those seeking a unique experience in a beautiful and remote place. If you need a bar or nightclub on your holiday, look elsewhere. If you want to see some amazing birdlife (I'm not a "birder" but I do enjoy birds) this is the place for you. It's quiet, romantic, isolated and lovely. I look forward to returning there one day soon.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — thin walls
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple

Been to Santa Lucia Cloud Forest? Share your experiences!