“Very nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 106 Hotels in Quito
Elmira, New York
“Very nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

We initially stayed in a cheaper hotel tucked away somewhere but moved to this hotel after returning to Quito from an excursion to the coast.
It was a blessing! Very friendly and helpful front desk. The street noise was loud during the day but got better after dark. Lots if hot water!!
We would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Close to restaurants and bars so you can easily find somewhere to go. We had a large room which was very clean with all the usual amenities. The staff on reception were helpful and pleasant. WiFi was a good speed.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Very modern hotel inside, although outside doesn't look promising... We were upgraded to the suite - it was wonderful! The only downside - Wifi was not working... I was there only 1 night but during THAT night it was not working. Overall, I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Punta del Este, Uruguay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I recently stayed on holidays at Reina Isabel from February 19th until the 23rd and I can only praise the installations and all the staff.

The location is perfect; it is set right in the neighborhood were all the excursions leave from and near nice restaurants that you can just walk to. I had initially thought the old town would be better but I consulted with my colleagues from our Quito office and found out this location “la Mariscal” is better for tourists.

The room I had booked was far larger than I expected, I looked over to the mountains, the bathroom was huge and the shower was strong. The mattress was perfect and everything was super clean. I had loads of international channels too. All the reception staff were always super nice at all times, during the day Sabrina was great and the two other male receptionists were also great and were always eager to help. For instance, they informed me that there is a tour bus (hop on and off) that goes by the hotel so I just bought the ticket right there at the reception ($12) and they made sure the bus stopped for me; it was really easy; plus taxis in Quito were really inexpensive, so you can be in the old town within 10 minutes and for something like 5 dollars. Also the handcrafts market is right there, like 3 blocks away from the hotel, so it’s a great location to be at.
My colleague from Quito was so well impressed with the hotel that will now start using it.

I even met the head coordinator (Marisol) and the commercial manager (Bianca) as one day the hotel had to make some repair works in the room over mine so they approached me and upgraded me to a suite that was brand new. All was done with a big smile and an amazing attitude, everyone in Ecuador strike me out as super nice and I guess loads has to do with how nice everyone at the hotel was! The suite had an amazing Jacuzzi that was just what I needed after trekking for three hours in the altitude of the Cotopaxi, so that made my stay even better!

In sum, I greatly advise the hotel, take the suite it’s really worth it and try booking directly with the hotel because then you can apply at the airport for the tax return on the 12% vat paid.

Room Tip: Rooms with Jacuzzi, and or view to the mountains.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Bonne Terre, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Secure, beautifully appointed and wonderful rooms, but if you need anything beyond the ordinary, the staff will not help. They will show you absolutely no consideration other than the most basic greeting. My wife returned early to the hotel from our exploration of Ecuador because she had become quite sick, and the staff refused to give her a room. She had her passport, money, and a reservation. We had stayed there for 2 nights just 10 days earlier. Instead, they made her lie on a couch in the lobby in her motorcycle clothes until I arrived. She told them she did not feel at all well, and the extent of their help was to suggest that she go to the street and buy a bottle of Gatorade. (Which she did.) They stand by this behavior, refusing even to apologize. To me, it was unforgivable, rulebound and evil - not the way a decent hotel (or human being) treats others. My experience says to find a friendly hotel that cares about its guests - Quito has many.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, be sure to get a room in the new tower. But first, look elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Aix-en-Provence, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

That's the first time I rate an hotel with the best note, but when everything is perfect, no choice.
I spent several nights in several rooms following a tough schedule. The service and attention has been always perfect.
Most of the rooms are large suites, everything works well.
Ofently full, tht's understandable! Booking in advance is mandatory.
Restaurant is a bit expensive, but there is a large choice in the area and the place is safe.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

What a great hotel! I immediately felt the luxury upon walking in.

Quito has nice buildings and ugly buildings right next to each other, instead of entire good and bad neighborhoods. After walking on some ugly side streets, it always felt great to come back to this hotel and leave any ugliness behind me.

The breakfasts are so-so, they are putting some flavor in the scrambled eggs that aren't great. I wish they would make them plain.

Warning-- MUST READ!! The only negative is that when you ask for a taxi, the hotel picks cabs at random instead of using a partner taxi company. So when you taxi back to the airport, be sure to work out the route and cost with the driver before putting your luggage in. Ask for a newer cab with a toll pass.

When I arrived to the new Quito airport and got in the taxi line, I was lucky in that the next cab for me was a new Sonata with a nice driver who took the fast and smooth toll road for $25 total. He had the electronic toll pass and it felt like a 25 minute drive. I paid $30 with tip.

However, when I asked the hotel to call me a taxi for my flight out, they randomly found me an old guy with an old car. I made the mistake of assuming he would take the fast toll road and that was the only way. This idiot instead took me on winding back roads and one long strip with traffic lights.

So instead of a 25 minutes drive, this moron drove for almost an hour just so he wouldn't have to pay tolls. It didn't occur to him that with the time he saved he could have gotten another customer and doubled his money that hour. He tried to lie to me and tell me it was the only way to the airport. I told him I knew the difference and did my best not to yell at him and call him a moron. I told him congratulations, now he can go to McDonald's with the $3 he saved in tolls. I told the hotel is cab number. (by the way, it's Taxi# 10514, don't ride with this moron)

So the point is, when you go back to the airport from this hotel, only agree to use them if they drive the toll road, and set the price at $30 that already includes tip. Ideally the taxi will have the electronic toll pass like my first one did, so you don't have to stop at each toll. Tell the hotel this when they call a cab for you. Odds are an older cab driver will take the only way he knows, and that is slow annoying back road way.

I won't let the bad taxi experience affect my review of the hotel, you will have to tell the hotel what you want from a taxi. Else the rooms were excellent and I felt great being at this hotel.

As for the neighborhood, stay on the main road (Amazon) when walking at night. Else take a taxi to go to the bars and clubs. Especially when coming home, if you stumble like you've been drinking and are alone, thieves may target you. I did not have any problems with this, but a local gave me that advice.

Enjoy your stay!

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Reina Isabel? Share your experiences!