“Nice Boutique Hotel in Quito” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eugenia Hotel

You added Eugenia Hotel to your Saves list
Eugenia Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Diego de Almagro 1245 & Av. Orellana, Quito EC P 001, Ecuador   |
Ranked #37 of 106 Hotels in Quito
Fort Lauderdale
“Nice Boutique Hotel in Quito”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I was in Quito for two nights on my way to Cuenca, and on my way back, and found this great hotel in Quito. It is located in a great area around plenty restaurants and shopping. The hotel is small and cozy. The rooms are very nice sized, inviting and clean. Check in and out is fast and easy, and the restaurant is very good for dinner which you have to pay for, but the complimentary breakfast was a little lacking. The only complaint I would have is the wifi is a bit lacking. Otherwise, really charming hotel.

Room Tip: I had room 306 which was a nice corner view...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here for two nights a few weeks ago and had a pleasant experience. The staff spoke flawless English (which made it easier to inquire about things) and the rooms themselves were pleasant with spacious bathrooms. The hotel itself is decorated in an older theme and this is reflected in the rooms, but overall it's comfortable.

Comfortable beds and a generous breakfast (sometimes a buffet, sometimes served) made for an overall enjoyable stay. It's definitely a good value for money and for other meals there's a nice mix of restaurants in the neighborhood that vary pricewise.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Manta, Ecuador
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I stayed at this charming victorian hotel for a few days while working on my visa. The staff spoke English and went out of their way to make my stay as comfortable as possible and even brought me ice for my back as I was in very much pain. Can't speak for all the rooms, but the bed in my room was excellent which is so important to me with back issues and the fact I was having a very bad episode at the time. Room service was excellent as well as the food. Breakfast was also good. I loved the layout and decor of this hotel, it was very different from just a regular hostal. I will be going back here soon to stay as I will have business in Quito coming up in a couple of months and looking forward to my stay. Also for those of us expats living in Ecuador and miss some American food..........Burger King is right around the corner!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Taos, New Mexico, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Our stay at the Eugenia was absolutely wonderful. When I stay in a hotel, if the rooms are perfect but the staff is impartial or rude, well, I'd rather not stay there. At Eugenia, the actual rooms are bit older, perhaps a little worn - but the staff is so wonderful that it made up for the room.

The building itself is beautiful and quite lovely inside. It's easy to navigate and is located in a really nice area. I never felt unsafe at night and they provide a guard at the entrance each night. There are so many places to walk to within a few blocks of the hotel.

All of the staff at Eugenia is exceptional. In the mornings at breakfast, Robinson and the other guys would gladly listen to us murder the spanish language with our feeble attempts to speak it. They were gracious, always helpful and made us feel at home!

We were so grateful though for Brian and Elisabeth (front desk). We spent so much time lingering at the front desk to speak with them. Both speak exceptional English and are delightful in their own ways. We found ourselves wanting to go and talk to them and share everything about every meal and every activity we had during the day. They were always so excited for us and gave us new recommendations.

When we left Eugenia we felt as though we were leaving members of our family behind. I appreciate their kindness and smiles they always greeted us with! I know if I return to Quito I will not stay anywhere else!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Plainsboro, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Good-
• The décor of the hotel is beautiful! I feel like I’m more in Paris than in Quito.
• Brian, who is at the Front Desk during the day, speaks excellent English! He should – he just moved to Quito after living in New Jersey, USA, for 20+ years. As a traveling American, I can’t tell you how comforting it is to have someone speak great English when checking in.
• Everything in the hotel is very clean.
• The common spaces in the hotel have lots of natural light.
• There are lots of great western style restaurants and bars in the immediate area – my tour guide called it “Gringo-land.” Don’t miss the nearby D’Vinci Restaurant – super cool décor and great food! I’m from the New York City area and this bar/restaurant would be a smash there.
• Breakfast is good and includes some hot dishes like scrambled eggs. They even serve hot milk with their freshly individually brewed coffee – how classy is that!
• They have several English (American) TV channels (abet with Spanish subtitles).
• I feel safe in the area. They have a guard at the gated entranceway each night.
• If booking directly and staying more than a few days, ask for a discount.

Bad-
• There is no heating in the room, and it got to be quite chilly some nights (I’m staying during the winter season). There is no A/C either.
• Water pressure was great, but there are sporadic times when the water isn’t hot – only mildly warm (too cold to take a shower). It happened twice during my nine day stay.
• They have a small table in each room, but the chair is so small and low – too uncomfortable to sit for any length of time.
• The front desk offers lots of advise on the area, but doesn’t offer any help booking tours (other than giving you a couple brochures).
• I was charged for a single slice of cheese for breakfast one morning. Some days they don’t have a buffet for breakfast, but offer cook-to-order food. I asked for cheese on my eggs the last day and was actually changed $1.34 for it. It thought it was kind of petty.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

A charming hotel with old world character. Includes breakfast in a sunny indoor room. Polite and helpful staff. A great value for the money.

Room Tip: Our room was next to the street which is across from a nightclub. The locals partied all night long...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Missoula, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in February, 2010 and really enjoyed it. The location is very good, within walking distance of many Mariscal District restaurants. The rooms are small, but clean and it has a nice colonial feel to it. It reminded me of hotels I stayed at all over Europe. It is a very good price for a 3 star hotel in Quito.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Eugenia Hotel? Share your experiences!