“YUP! Service par excellence.” 5 of 5 stars

Hostal de La Rabida
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Rabida 227 y Santa Maria, Quito, Ecuador   |
Ranked #11 of 106 Hotels in Quito
Seattle, Washington
“YUP! Service par excellence.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Great service from the entire staff...owners included. Everything was wonderful....the wonderful location, the superbly friendly and helpful staff and the accommodations. As mentioned in other reviews, the only issue is the hot water. During the first part of our stay in room 10 on the 1st floor, it never got above lukewarm. After returning from the south, we got a different room (2nd floor, room 2) that had better hot water.

Room Tip: Go for 2nd floor for better hot water!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Fresno, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

My travel buddy and I self-catered our "bucket list" trip to the Galapagos and Machu Picchu using Quito as our "in and out" city. Friends suggested the Rabida and despite some complaints you'll see below, we happily booked.

Quito to provide to us a hotel that was safe, had good food, convenient, storage for the hot and cold bags we'd need for each leg and comfortable rooms as we came and went.

Without doubt, the Rabida was this and more. The friendly staff and accommodations were like coming home and leaving again for another trip.

Brownie, the rabbit, holds forth in the courtyard and will gladly try to sneak into your courtyard room to warm up. He's a cute addition.

One complaint that went through the old threads here was the HOT WATER. The Rabida has been busily addressing it and I have to say I never had an issue with hot water to my satisfaction. I took showers at all hours given our travel schedule. So don't worry about that.

My rooms, 1, 7 and 9 were quiet, warm and comfortable. No complaints there at all.

The area around the Rabida as well as ALL of Quito is one of a very friendly big city and as such you have to treat it with the respect a big city requires for personal safety. You don't take a midnight stroll here any more than you LA or Paris and not be self aware of your security.

The staff: I cannot say enough about the staff. Gloria and Carlos split their time at the desk, which is manned 24/7 given the comings and goings. All the staff is ready to serve and help you any way they can both before you arrive and during your stay. Everyone is there to make your stay as good as it can be.

Our flights in were on time, but they are late night flights and the computer system was down. The hotel sent a driver to pick us up who waited for 2 hours while we cleared immigration. He was a delight and we used him and his company for all of our airport transfers and tours around Quito.

Our bags for the mountains and then those with our ocean items, were safely stored as we went from one venue to the other without a charge. They were waiting in our rooms upon arrival so we could easily regroup, especially when our stays were less than 24 hours.

Given our schedules, we ate most of our meals in the hotel's small dining room. The Ceveche Camarones, the Potato Soup and the Onion Soup were great. The pasta dishes were also excellent.

I do not hand out 5 stars unless I mean it. As a vacation home owner who relies on accurate and fair reports, I feel compelled to be accurate and concise.

With that said, be aware of older reviews that predate the present owners, and that do not take into account the constant renovations and updates the hotel is doing.

For a woman traveling alone, several of whom dined with us, the Rabida was a friendly and safe haven where sitting in the living room, dining room or lounge, afforded a chance to get to know fellow travelers in an easy and comfortable manner.

Thank you Judy for a wonderful stay. And to Gloria and Carlos, as well as the rest of the staff, thank you all.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
hostalrabida, Owner at Hostal de La Rabida, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Very many thanks for your wonderful review! We feel extremely happy and proud that you enjoyed your stay with us and to know that our efforts to constantly improve are noted and appreciated.

Warmest regards from Brownie and all the staff at La Rabida
Judy
Charlottesville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here only one night, but we loved it. Very comfortable hotel, with super staff.
It's well-located just north of New Town in Quito. Dinner and breakfast were both super.
The hosts are friendly, and both Gloria and Carlos were extremely helpful at reception desk.
The hotel has a welcome eco-concious perspective on water use, etc. Oh yes, almost forgot the hotel pet, a chocolate brown rabbit named Brownie.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Drayton Valley, AB Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband & I stayed twice at Hostal la Rabida - our first night, our room was small and I felt not worth the money charged, but the second time, we had a lovely room (#3) which was much larger and nicer. The Hostal is secure, with a gated courtyard. They take care of whatever arrangements you might need - they arranged an English speaking driver to pick us up at the airport both times - Guillermo Valencia - he's a very good guide and showed us the Old City on our last day in Ecuador. He also introduced us to a good little seafood restaurant within walking distance of Hostal la Rabida - Los Cebiches de la Reminahui - read my review on Trip Advisor.
Back to Hostal la Rabida - our room was comfortable, and downstairs was a nice sitting room with a fireplace, library, and a computer for guest use. They have many lovely books on Ecuador, especially birds. They are one of the few accommodations we stayed at while in Ecuador that accept US Traveller's cheques, which I really appreciated. I had mentioned to Gloria upon our arrival, that when we be staying there next, it would be my husband's birthday and that we'd be dining in their dining room for a nice meal. She so kindly, and thoughtfully gave Andy a box of truffles for his birthday - what a lovely gesture. The service is outstanding - we were served breakfast literally in the middle of the night, prior to our early morning departure. (Note that breakfast is not included in the price of the room, but is not expensive). The meal that we had that one evening was very well prepared and tasty - I had the sea bass, and I believe my husband had filet mignon. For dessert, I had apple strudel (not quite the same as Austrian or German but good none the less), and Andy had a dessert crepe with hot orange sauce which he said was very tasty. As everyone else had stated before me - Brownie, the rabbit is a delightful added touch to this hostal - he's very sweet and cuddly.
We would not hesitate to recommend this accommodation - just try to do your homework with regard to the different rooms because they're definitely not all the same.

Room Tip: #3 is nice - roomy with twin beds, and a large bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have just come back from our three week trip through Ecuador. We stayed 5 times at La Rabida during our trip. Each time we returned to La Rabida it was just like coming home! You are always greeted with the welcoming smiles of the staff, especially Gloria and Carlos (and, of course, Brownie - the resident Rabbit!!)
We absolutely loved La Rabida! The staff are so accommodating, no matter how bizarre the requests are (Gloria kindly spun dried my trousers that were wet after we had come back from the Amazon jungle!!).
We stayed in four different rooms and they were all excellent. We had dinner once at La Rabida and the quality of food and service was again excellent. Breakfast was plentiful and filling and sets up for the day.
All in all, one amazing place to stay. When we are back in Quito (which we hope will be soon) we will definitely be staying at La Rabida.
A big thank you to Gloria and Carlos and the all staff for making our stay at La Rabida such a wonderful and memorable stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

A really nice friendly hostal with wonderful service. It's like staying in someones' home- light decor, clean and bright rooms, fresh drinking water each day. It's just a few minutes walk to some wonderful restaurants, although we did eat here one night and the food was very good. We would stay here again if we came back to Ecuador.

Room Tip: Our room was in the front of the hostal but we did not experience any street noise, most of the room...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Frankly La Rábida is all about the enormously charismatic Brownie, but because I chose to stay here on the basis of the all-around strong reviews here I'll judge more comprehensively and say that it did not disappoint. All in all the place is super charming, and the nightly fire and cozy dinners (and Brownie) are the jewels of the experience. I won't belabor the point about the staff doing nearly anything for you, except to say that it's true. (Ok, I can't resist mentioning that the kitchen staff steamed my baggage-addled trousers for free on the morning of my first meeting.)

Before having visited, I was a bit perplexed by the descriptions of la Rábida as an 'oasis' from the 'stress' of Quito. (Seriously? Quito? Stressful?) Ok, so it's not Mumbai, but there is something oppressive about the cloud cover in winter (when I was there), the altitude that makes you think you're having a panic attack until you remember why your breathing is so rapid and the gridlocked -- tripadvisor censored me on that one -- traffic. So a glass of wine on the sofa in front of the fire at the end of the day -- and, of course, a highly welcome and illicit visit from Brownie, when he manages to slip in through the back door, is a very welcome evening scenario.

My only real complaint was the noise: in the main house you're really at the mercy of your neighbors' behavior. Walls are thin so sound travels...if the next door room gets in at 3am you will be up for their arrival whether you like it or not. But I did not downrate the place because (1) it's an old house and therefore unavoidable, and (2) the garden rooms built of masonry are just as comfortable and an easy alternative for the light sleepers amongst you.

Lastly, the neighborhood isn't amazing but very central and walkable.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house, while charming, can be noisy if your neighbors are too. Rooms in the gar...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hostal de La Rabida? Share your experiences!