“Clean rooms and friendly staff! Could not have asked for anything better!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sol de Quito Museum Hotel

You added Sol de Quito Museum Hotel to your Saves list
Sol de Quito Museum Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Alemania N 30-170 y Vancouver, Quito, Ecuador   |
Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Quito
Inglewood, California
“Clean rooms and friendly staff! Could not have asked for anything better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

This was my first trip to South America. I was excitedly anxious but later put at ease.

I spent four nights at this location. Polite, attentive, very friendly staff and met all my needs. I requested a pick-up shuttle at the airport, which I found without a problem. The location is on a residential street but its within walking distance from public transportation. There is a security guard outside and you have to ring the buzzer to get in. Checked-in no problem. They additionally provided safety-deposit lock boxes at the lobby.

Prior to my arrival I had only booked one day of itinerary, but the hotel manager booked me various day and evening tours of the older part of the city, Otovalo, Mitad del Mundo monument, El Panecillo, etc.. I do not know the name of the company they used as tour guides, but I would refer them as well.

Water and coffee available in the lobby throughout the day. Breakfast provided the basics, cereal, juice, fresh fruit, eggs...On one of my last days, I became sick with a cold and spent one day resting. I booked dinner in advance and it was delicious and aided in relieving my cold.

My room was exquisite, included private bathroom/shower, and balcony with an amazing view of the city and its surrounding landscape.There were no elevators but I didn't mind at all taking the stairs. Overall this was a great experience. If I ever fly to Quito again, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I was very disappointed by the poor service at the Sol de Quito. I had booked an airport pickup, but no one came to get me. I had booked a day trip offered by the hotel weeks in advance, but discovered that it was not actually booked until I reminded them at check-in, and they scrambled at the last minute to find me a guide. The overhead light in my room was burnt out on my last night and I asked the front desk clerk three times to fix it, which never happened. I left three postcards with the proper postage at the front desk and asked the clerk to mail them, which also never happened. Internet is slow here and expensive. The location of this hotel is also very poor. I had chosen it largely because I had been told that Quito was dangerous and it would be a good idea to stay out of the city, where this hotel is. But I walked around the Mariscal area later on and found it to be a very safe, bustling part of the city where I would have been much happier. The Sol de Quito is in the middle of a street with nothing on it, far from where you want to be. I didn't feel safe walking in the neighbourhood by the hotel because there was nothing around.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sol de Quito before and after traveling to Machu Picchu. The hotel has a very stylish decor with many interesting murals, paintings, furniture and artifacts. Our room had comfortable beds, TV, a good bathroom with plenty of hot water and a lovely balcony. The continental breakfast (with egg) was excellent with fresh fruit and rolls and the service from the staff friendly and efficient. Taxis can be a problem so they arranged a taxi to the airport at a very good price (half what was charged FROM the airport!). Everything was well-organised when we returned late on the second night. The manager was also helpful confirming our flights using their computer.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

We stayed in Sol de Quito on two occasions during the Ecuador leg of our journey.
It is cute, quirky, homely and clean. We felt safe there.
The reception staff are very helpful, most of them speak English, and the ones that didn't were very patient with our stumbling Spanish.
The bedrooms were clean, warm, and safe. The beds are firm, but really comfortable! The cleaning staff were discreet and honest, and cheerful. They made different shapes out of towels every day; flowers, swans etc!
Breakfasts were delicious, and fast.

We always had hot water, maybe the plumbing has been upgraded since earlier reviews, claiming that there was no hot water?
The location is in a safe area of Quito, a short and cheap taxi ride to anywhere in town. 5 minte walk to El Jardin shopping mall which has a lovely supermarket and nice shops. If I went back to Quito, I would stay here again.

The only thing I don't recommend is the excursions that they sell- the one we took to Cotopaxi wasn't great, and quite expensive. Maybe search around for a better deal :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

We stayed here for two nights in a family room ("Guayaquil"), with an en suite shower room. The room was spacious and beds were firm but comfortable. We had tepid water in the shower at best. The lighting was dim, but the children enjoyed a bit of English language cable TV...

The receptionist and dining room staff were all friendly, most spoke some English. The manager's English was excellent. The breakfast was fine - the usual buffet of fruit, cereals, juice, coffee/tea, and bread and jam. Hot drinks were freely available all day. Peppermint tea helped me with the altitude. The building is tiered, with open landings/lounges on each floor overlooking the one below. Odd but interesting.

However, the hotel is not really in a great location - on a back street some way from either the old town or the new town. We walked to the new town in daylight, but did not feel 100% safe, even in the taxi back to the hotel. The trolley bus to the old town is quite close, and ridiculously cheap (25c for adults and 12c for children), but also did not feel completely safe. Most locals stared at us (blond hair and blue eyes tend to stand out) but only a few smiled. The old town is definitely worth a trip though.

The hotel did feel safe though, once inside, it became an oasis for us. And it was reasonably good value at about $120 per night including breakfast and tax. They even let two of hang out for a few hours whilst two of us went to the airport to collect our hire car the day we checked out. Good wifi helped pass the time. Not sure we would go back, we would probably try and stay in the old town if we ever went back to Quito.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

Sol de Quito is a very charming little place to stay, lots of character! The staff are extremely helpful, and it's very clean. The rooms are comfortable, but be warned the mattresses are VERY firm! Breakfast is good.

• Stayed November 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Everyone at this hotel was very friendly and caring - even if not all spoke English as noted in their description. Breakfasts were made to order and very good - Staff very helpful, especially Ivan.

Yes, our bed was VERY hard and our room was facing the street so it was very noisy --lighting was poor if you want to read in bed

- but the location of the hotel is ideal - NOT in the tourist area which is a plus, safe to walk around in the day time, close to a large mall and SuperMaxi, and Las Carolinas park which is beautiful.

Take a card of the hotel when you are out and about - we encountered one taxi driver who did not have a clue where it was and took us to another hotel with a similar name.

Room Tip: choose something off the main street