“No, go across the street” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rincon Escandinavo

Rincon Escandinavo
You added Rincon Escandinavo to your Saves list
Rincon Escandinavo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leonidas Plaza N24-306 y Baquerizo Moreno, Quito, Ecuador   |
Ranked #76 of 106 Hotels in Quito
Atlantic Beach, Florida
“No, go across the street”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We tried this hotel the last time in Quito, because it looked nice and had a separate restaurant. It was a bad mistake. First he fee for the website had not been paid, so I could not make reservations online. I called and after awhile got a person who could speak English, and made a reservation for $40.00. When I arrived, they had $48, but they corrected it when I presented my printout of the e-mail that they sent. The room was small and inadequate, but they said they would change it the next day. They did not! We ran out of toilet paper the first day, There was no water in the room, and all know that you don't drink the local water. The shower was so tiny that my large size Grandma would have to take a sponge bath, I called for a wake up call the morning of departure, and never received it! But the worse thing was; there was no internet in the room. One had to go to the lobby for e-mail, etc.

I gave it 2 stars only because of the location, and the fact that it was relatively cheap at $48. Just go across the street at the Hotel Andino, and Miguel will take better care of you for $40 double.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Medellin, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights in November while attending Spanish Language Class nearby. Based on other internet reports, we were concerned about crime and muggings before we came and found the area to be reasonably well populated during thre day and early evenings and did not feel threatened during our stay. However we did exercise caution and used taxi's at night. Hotel staff was helpful and pleasant. Seemed to be a well run hotel. Good location for walking to nearby attractions, businesses and entertainment centers. Breakfast was basic buffet; eggs, juice, coffee and breads. prepared by non-chef staff. Room was SMALL, Bathroom SMALLER, but clean and functional with cable TV & WiFi. Bed was comfortable with european comforter bedding. Staff was helpful but with limited english skills. We would return here again for a short stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

I stayed here for total of four nights at the start and end of my trip to Galapagos.

This really friendly hotel is located in a quite street close enough to the main hubs and eateries without needing a taxi. If you're unable to walk for more than 15 minutes you might want to pay $1 for a taxi to see the main attractions of Quito and for shopping or sightseeing but I was more than happy to walk.

My room was beautifully clean with a free multi channel satellite TV should you want it. Internet access wasn't available when I was there due to a slow connection but there are so many other cheaper places to use the internet within a few minutes walk it's not an issue.

The staff are very friendly and helpful and though English isn't spoken here as usual in Ecuador, they're very happy to try and communicate.

I loved my room on my last night with a wondeful view of the mountains, the early breakfasts, the restaurant food and the friendly service from the staff.

I didn't like the room I stayed in on my first three nights but only because it had no window and was open at the top of the adjoining wall with a gap of about 15 cm all along through to the next room so noise transfer was a tad annoying.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Wonderful, helpful people. Perfectly adequate but uninspired breakfast included. Convenient location, near the bustle of Mariscal but not in it, close to EcoVia (25 cents takes you to the Centro Historico). And of course the bizarre charm of seeing posters of Stockholm on the walls when you're visiting Ecuador.

My only beef is with some of the rooms. In seven nights I saw five different rooms, for various reasons. The big problem is noise. In general, the walls are thin, and air shafts sometimes seem to channel and amplify sounds from far away. And then, one night my neighbors partied boisterously til 2 AM. Asking them to be quiet had no effect. The staff, apparently unwilling to confront them (despite a posted quiet-after-10, no alcohol policy), were happy to let me just crash in a more distant room. So some points for trying to help.

A smaller problem is general maintenance. One room had something wrong with the TV. Another's shower head blew off when I turned on the shower. Most have no windows; one's air shaft seemed to be shared with a kitchen, so reeked of hot vegetable oil in the early morning.

My favorite room was 203. Lovely, with a balcony, real air, and a view of the mountains. 107 is not bad. 305 is charming but has no phone if you care. Avoid room 103 at all costs: bad smells, bad lighting, explosive shower, and the only cockroach...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Stockholm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

Wonderfull atention, good prices and the standar of the rooms was good.
I love the people who runs this hotel, so nice and kind with me and my son.
Many rekomendetions we will come back the next year.
Mia and family-

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
toronto ontario canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2006

We happened on the Rincon by accident and were treated like Royalty. The people that run that hotel were just amazing. My brother and I were given the room at a very low cost and they went out of their way to make us safe and secure. I can't say enough about the people that work there and the owner/manager. If you want to feel comfortable and safe when in a foreign county this is the place to stay. It's not the most modern and it's doesn't have all the attractions but the people are the best.

• Liked — the people
  • Disliked — lack of extras ie: pool
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rincon Escandinavo? Share your experiences!