“Nice Hotel, But poor Customer Service” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Quito
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Gonzalez Suarez N27-142, Quito 2500, Ecuador   |
Ranked #49 of 107 hotels in Quito
NJ
“Nice Hotel, But poor Customer Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Quito for 2 nights before a tour and, although we liked the hotel, we had an issue with the front desk.

The Good: Check in on Christmas Eve was quick and efficient Our room was clean and comfortable with a nice view. Room service was resonably priced,and quick and the food arrived hot. There was free WIFI through out the hotel and 3 computers available for guests.

The Bad: The next morning (Christmas) I asked the front desk if the Museo Del Banco was open and was told that everything was open. I also asked if we had to do anything as I and reserved the previous night and the tour had reserved that night and was told no.

We walked all the way down to the museum and found that it and almost everything else was closed. When we returned to the hotel my daughter commented to the desk manager that they should have checked to make sure that the Museum was open. He not only told her that they had called to see if the museums were open for other guests, but he started to laughing that we had walked all the way there and back. Then when we got to our room, we found that our keys no longer worked. The same clerk who told me that we did not have to do anything fixed them. Neither would have been a big deal, but the manager laughing and no aplogy was, to me, a sign of poor customer service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

409 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel in November. I will start with the pros of this hotel. It's conveniently located. Right outside of the hotel are a number of wonderful restaurants and shops. They are all within walking distance. Our favorite was Hunters. It's a BBQ restuarant and a local haunt. The prices were good, the food was delicious and it was right across the street from the hotel. The breakfast was phenomenal! There was a huge variety of fruits, meats, eggs (fresh omelettes), cereals and yogurts. You name it, they had it. Not to mention, that the dining room was on the upper floor. The views were AWESOME. No matter where you sat, there was always something lovely to see. The lobby of the hotel was beautiful. The staff members were very attentive and friendly. The hot showers were the best! They had great water pressure in this hotel. The pool was beautiful, large and had a wonderful view. Now here are some of the cons. We stayed at this hotel at the beginning of our tour and at the end. Our first room was located on the third floor. The decor was a bit dated but the room was rather large. The bathroom was recently updated and very stylish. However, you had to share a balcony space with other rooms. Since there is no air conditioning in the rooms you have to open your balcony door to get a nice breeze. However, since it's a shared balcony, random strangers can have access to your room if you leave your door open. I found this a bit disconcerting. We discovered that we had no neighbor next to us and we were able to leave the door cracked with minimal issue. At the end of our tour we stayed in a room on the first floor. The room was similar to the first room we had but the bathroom looked like it came straight from the 1970's right down to the matching taupe toilet, sink and bathtub. It was absolutely hysterical. We figured that they had not gotten around to renovating the first floor bathrooms as of yet. They will provide you with soap, lotion, plenty of towels and a comb for your hair. They do not provide washclothes. So be sure to bring your own loofah or pouf sponge. The bathrooms were indeed clean and functional, so that's what counts. There must have been a wedding and a party at the hotel. We heard all of the music, the singing, the laughing and dancing. Apparently a few of the party goers were staying right next door. We heard every bump, every laugh and every bit of their conversation. We also noticed that there is a lack of available outlets in this hotel. Although we were able to plug our devices in, without utilizing a converter, we could only find two outlets in the room. One was behind the mattress of our bed (strange) and the other was located on the wall next to the television. The television and cable box was plugged into that outlet. Therefore, we had to utilize the bathroom outlet to plug in our phones. Just something to consider. Overall, this was indeed a convenient hotel. We would have no issues staying here again. Happy Travels!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floors. They appear to be renovated and the bathrooms are wonderful...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Great stay on a Gate 1 tour. The breakfast was beyond good...great coffee, omelet station, fresh yogurt , fresh fruits, and homemade delicious breads. Enjoyed laying by the pool, and very nice staff. They offer coffee in the lobby and have great shops on the lobby floor. We walked about 4 blocks to a big grocery store and passed an indoor craft market. The view from the breakfast room was incredible.....with the mountains in the background.

Stayed November 2013
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed for three nights in Hotel Quito between the Galapagos boat trip and Lima. Our room faced the street but there were no untoward noise consequences of this. Breakfast was included each morning in the upper level restaurant where we dined on the first night as well. Some people might prefer the more old Colonial feeling of staying in the old downtown area whereas Hotel Quito is on a hill in a clean modern area of the city. There are restaurants and other major hotels within a short walk. We took a taxi from the hotel to visit the Botanical Gardens. The remarkable Central Bank Museum of Quito within the Casa De La Cultura Ecuatoriana complex which also includes a cineteca can be reached in about twenty minutes by walking. For those staying downtown, this extraordinary collection could be somewhat out of the way but Hotel Quito provides easy access without transport. The hotel provided free wifi together with a 24/7 business.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool could be preferred by some travellers
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I spent three nights in this hotel. The first night was upon my arrival from the US and the night before I was to fly to the Galapagos. The room was on the third floor and faced the pool. No issues with this room. It was quiet and clean. The décor is a little dated. It would be such a huge improvement if they chose a different color as the highlight color instead of a blah brown color. I spent two more nights after my Galapagos trip, but this time I got a 2nd floor room facing the street. I didn't get much sleep. First, there is a car park next to the hotel where my room was located. Car alarms went off at night. Traffic noise continued until late into the night. It also didn't seem as clean as the room I stayed in the night before. The hall where the room was located was also a little dark. The lights are turned on by a motion sensor, but it's quite dark otherwise, and still a little dim when the lights turn on.

I ate at the restaurant both nights as I was too tired to go out to eat. The restaurant has a lovely view at night with all the lights. The food was acceptable, although a little pricey, which is to be expected for a business hotel. There is a nice little shabby chic café across the street called Miele. There are a couple of other restaurants close by, but I didn't try them. I also used the taxi service to get to the airport and to go to the equator museums. The taxi driver was a woman, which for me being a woman, was comforting. She waited for me as I went to the sites, and it was about USD55 for 4 hours.

I just went to with Hotel Quito because my tour operator arranged it, and I didn't have time to research hotels. I think it's fine for what it was for, but make sure you do not get a street facing room on the lower floors because of the noise.

Room Tip: As I said before, get a higher floor room facing the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Free WiFi. As stated by others, the hotel could do with an upgrade-the lobby is beautiful and modern which is not the case in the rooms. Staff were friendly and quick to help. The restaurant has a lovely view, but the food was only average. Lots of cafes and coffee shops around the hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We had a wonderful time with Gate 1 in Ecuador: all hotels are quite special (first time we used fire place to heat the rooms); the tour guide speaks fluent English, and is knowledgeable and very helpful; the bus driver drove safely; and most importantly local people are very friendly. The programs are well planned. We definitely will go with Gate 1 in the future trips!

Before going there, we were extremely concerned about the weather, because weather forecast said nearly every day it would be raining. Lucky us, we had not seen a drop of rain till the night we left Quito. The rain poncho we bought had never been used during the trip.

Finally we saw Amazon, Napo River in Ahuna, where we slept in a extremely spacious room, ate various food and enjoyed beautiful scenery. We took canoes along Napo River to hop from one island to another. On one island we saw lots of squirrel monkeys jumping in wood and one mom monkey holding a baby monkey, which was really interesting. It was very hot there but manageable.

We were excited to see Cotopaxi national park with the elevation of 12,000 feet above sea level, and we both did not feel altitude sickness although we prepared some candy and medicine for emergency use.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Quito? Share your experiences!