“Nice hotel but hard beds” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Dann Carlton Quito

You added Hotel Dann Carlton Quito to your Saves list
Hotel Dann Carlton Quito
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Republica de El Salvador N34-377 e Irlanda, Quito, Ecuador   |
Ranked #32 of 109 Hotels in Quito
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Nice hotel but hard beds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

The hotel is located in a nice part of town, it has a beautiful large lobby, a nice restaurant, casino and business center. We were upgraded for being travel agents to a suite, ample but bed mattress was too hard and bathroom was clean but dated.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Schaumburg, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights while doing business in Quito. Overall, I liked it and would stay again. Having said this, you should prepare yourself when you get to the hotel. I was lucky as my Ecuadorian colleague checked me in. He asked for top floor facing a school. I had room 1103.

The room itself is very nice. I had 2 double beds that's really comfortable. You also get free wireless internet with good speed and the lightening in the room is fine.

However, I gave this star only 3 stars because there were minor annoyances.

1. Air control setting has 2 buttons: "hot" or "cold". You can't adjust the temperature, therefore you don't know what temperature is hot or cold. In the "cold" setting I couldn't get my room cooler than 25C. I called the front desk & they sent a mechanic right away. He turned off the "cold" button and turned it back on. He then said wait 10 minutes. I told him I've had the "cold" button on for an hour already. However, I waited. After another hour, they sent a translator and the same mechanic back. The said they'll adjust the temperature to 23C, but the reality is in room 1103 you can't adjust the temperature. It was better to turn the air control off. Alternatively, there is a window you can open a little. This was nice as you can get fresh air.

2. While I was on the quiet side of the hotel and on 11th floor, the hotel is close to the airport and you'll hear them fly by.

3. Bathroom water pressure is really poor.
- When you turn the sink faucet on, it was like a sprinkler system. However, there's only 12 little sprinkles, but the pressure is high and when you wash anything, you end up spraying water all over the place.
- Shower facet was more like a trickle. I suppose they're trying to conserve water so if I look at it that way, I guess I can't complain too much. Overall, the bathroom is clean and good size.

4. Breakfast is excellent. There's good selection of fruit and juice. However, I agree with other reviewers that it can get a bit crowded. The hotel actually has another eating area across the hall from where the main buffet and eating area is. Even though the room where the buffet was full, the other room was almost empty. I don't think people knew there was another room as strangers were sharing tables to eat.

Since this was a business trip, I didn't venture out so I can't comment on that. However, the hotel is good and I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Old Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

Good rooms, friendly service - all you'd expect from a business-type hotel. Two drawbacks though. On both nights I've stayed it's been noisy (there's a concert going on in the park outside right now) and the second complaint is that if the hotel is fairly full the breakfast facilities are inadequate. Queued sixteen minutes the first morning and seven minutes the second for breakfast. The location isn't bad other than it's quite a long way north of the old city which is the usual tourist destination.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

I stayed at this hotel on four separate occasions during my 3 weeks in Ecuador. The rooms are large and comfortable and there is free wireless internet. It's only a short stroll down to Quito's major shoppping complex, Quicentre, which is handy for both shopping and budget eating.
A large buffet breakfast was also included and there were also other facilities, like the gym if you wished.
One time I did get a noisy room (the disco) but then the next time I came I asked for a quiet room and got a suite.
The staff were always friendly, and I frequently used the storage facilities

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

We stayed here top-and-tailing a Galapagos trip. It is more swish than we are used to, but tha'ts OK for the experience. The staff were excellent, as was the food. The location is a bit out of the way, but it is close to the Botanic Garden and Herpetarium and park, and taxis are cheap. It also seems to have a tower of rooms that face the flight-path, so on our second visit we were woken by planes going past our window. The second room also seemed to have no air-con control (no air-con?), but you couldnt leave the windows open because of the noise. The first room facing the school was great. Our friends had to asked to be moved from their room because of the noise from the discos downstairs, so if you get a noisy room just ask for a quiet one - there are some. We probably wouldn't go back, but not because it's bad, it's just not us. We preferred the Old Town at 1/3rd the price.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

My husband and I stayed here before and after our trip to the Galapagos. What an absolutely perfect way to begin and end our trip of a lifetime.
We still can't believe how inexpensive this beautiful hotel is for how much it offers. The rooms are very spacious and incredibly comfortable. The service was wonderful. The concierge recommended Quito restaurants that still remain some of our favorite places to eat in the world. My husband and I travel quite a bit and forget most hotels we stay in unless they were extremely bad or extremely great. The Hotel Dann Carlton in Quito is one of those rare exceptionally great hotels that we have no reservations in recommending.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed at the Dann Carlton for one night at the start of Friendly Planet's Exotic Equador tour and for two nights at the end. We had the same room on both stays. It turned out to be a smoking room, but the windows were open on arrival and the room had very little odor. For those real sensative to smoke it might have been a problem, but we were OK with it.

The room and hotel were clean, the breakfast was good and the staff friendly. We used the business center to print our boarding passes for our flight out of Miami and had a little trouble figuring out the printer--the front desk was quick to assist and solve the problem.

As mentioned in other reviews, there is aircraft noise, but most flights are done by 11 PM. Otherwise the hotel was quiet. We were very satisfied.

• Stayed February 2009

Been to Hotel Dann Carlton Quito? Share your experiences!