“Nice location but too expensive for personal trips” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast & Wi-Fi Package
Ranked #24 of 109 Hotels in Quito
Belllevue, NE
“Nice location but too expensive for personal trips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Colon Quito is safe, in a good location, and up to Hilton standards. However, unless your company picks up the tab, there are other less-expensive and more representative of Ecuador hotels to choose from. The hotel has all the amenities you would see at any Hilton. Give yourself a day to acclimate to the elevation (9200') before using the fitness center. I would stay at the Colon for business trips but not on family vacations.

The Colon itself is about half way (1 1/2 miles) between the Old City and Quito's first-rate mall. There are many stores and restaurants nearby with varying price levels. Meals are very inexpensive while the beverages tend to be priced like in the States. There are many tours and things to do in and around Quito. The nearest volcano is accessible (to the base at least) by a cable car in a park about 2 miles from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Street, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel is in downtown Quito, currently a short drive from the airport - but a new airport at least an hour away is about to open (due Feb 2013, a little delayed). Traffic mid afternoon can/will double travel time - 35 minutes even now.
The hotel has two "wings" - the original and the new. We were in the original tower; very tired room, no toiletries until we asked, no air conditioning, noisy etc. Not Hilton normal standard by a very long way! At ground level, there is no indication that there are in fact two towers, accessed by lifts in totally different parts of the lobby area, and the lifts themselves give no indication as to which rooms they access! Fantastic if you have alot of luggage, going up in one lift only to discover that your room number is not accessible from the lift you innocently entered.

Only one restaurant, which meant queing guests from 1900 hours - we guessed that might happen so started our meal at 1830. Beware!n Prices very reasonable, but food very TexMex rather than genuine Ecuadorian.

Thje food itself aws good, the service typically South American!

Room Tip: Specify the new tower for your room! Get down for dinner early - you cannot book a table.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HiltonColonQuito, Director of Sales at Hilton Colon Quito, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
I appreciate the review of your stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed here on business for seven days. Very nice hotel but expensive. Of course, as with most expensive hotels, nothing is free. You even have to pay to use the gym!!!! Pay for local calls, pay for $20 for the hotel transfer to/from airport (the old one) when a cab is $5. The Exec lounge was poorly tended and the snacks were often 'missing'. When the concierge was there, she was very helpful and nice, but rarely there. In-room internet was horrible, and yes you have to pay for that. Free internet in lobby and lounge worked great.

Staff was friendly and the hotel very crisp and clean as were the rooms. Beds were very comfortable. As others mention there is no heat in the rooms, only A/C. But even if I changed the thermostat, the room temperature seemed too remain the same. But it was a comfortable temperature (69-71).

Room Tip: I stayed on both sides of the hotel (with THE view and without). There is an extra charge if you wa...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HiltonColonQuito, Director of Sales at Hilton Colon Quito, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were unhappy with some of the charges. We do everything we can to make sure our guests have an exceptional stay. I apologize if the charges were not clear when you booked the room. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us. Thank you for your review.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Oasis in a chaotic big city. Great location. Everything you need is at hand. Lower rooms that are streetside can be noisy. They really keep this place up and aim to please. Super close to artisan market and park across street for outside exercise. Walkable to ex-Pat area for evening fun.

Room Tip: Go for a high room if choosing view toward Old Town.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
fort lauderdale, fl.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at Hilton Colon Quito on my first visit to Ecuador in January, 2013. The hotel is located in new town section, but you are only a short cab ride away from old town. My room was on the side away from the busy road, which I would recommend requesting if you are a light sleeper. Front desk personnel and concierge spoke English and were most helpful. I would especially like to compliment Oswaldo, concierge desk, for his assistance and advice. Breakfast in the upstairs lounge came with my room, and I found very adequate. Only problem was getting coffee refills, as there was just one attendant. Outdoor pool and jacuzzi were nice, as was the well equipped gym. Another plus is the executive lounge at sunset. A nice view, along with beverages and snacks.

Room Tip: For light sleepers, request a room away from the busy road that runs in front of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed in a suite (300usd a night) in This 5 stars Hilton Hotel in the high part of the Andean Mountains at 2,800 mts above sea level,and I found out that they do not t have central air heater.
The weather was around 8 or 9 centigrades at night and no central heater.
I complained and they sent me a small old electric heater.
It continued to be cold and they sent me another heater.
The second heater made a lot of noise and couldn t sleep.
At night when it got too hot I had to stand up and unplug the heaters, next it got cold and I had to get up and plug the heaters again.
Next morning I went with a headache (because of this low quality heaters) to complain in front desk and of course they defended their position, telling me all kind of reasons why they didn t have central heater.
So I realized i was wrong and they where right, according to the people in front desk a 5 star hotel in the Andean mountains at 2,800 mts should not have central air heating system.
They told me no hotel in QUito has central heating, I found out this is a big lie.
Asked them to return my money to go to a good 5 star hotel, and they told me it was impossible.
Finally I changed to Hotel Le Parc, where I m staying at room 702 and having a great time.
They have great service and high quality air and heating system and I m paying around 200 for a better suite.
Look when I go to a 5 star Hilton I expect to push a button and be completely comfortable.
Hilton will never see me again, they have such great competitors, JW Marriott, Sheraton, Four Seasons, Intercontinetal, all over the world.
Why would I go back to a Hilton?????
They should supervise their franchisor and have them meet a standard of comfort and quality.

Room Tip: I stayed in a suite (300usd a night) in This 5 stars Hilton Hotel in the high part of the Andean Mou...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HiltonColonQuito, Director of Sales at Hilton Colon Quito, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I am so sorry that you had a disappointing stay with us. I understand from your review that you were disappointed with some of issues at our hotel. I truly apologize if we were not able to accommodate your needs by not having a central heating unit available. Our main priority is for all our guests to have an exceptional stay with us and I can assure you that we are currently looking into this issue. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and we will definitely take your comments into consideration to improve our in-property experience.

Again, I apologize you went through any inconveniences and hope that you will consider saying with us next time you are in town.
Leicester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here on our way to the Amazon basin and on the way back. The bedroom was excellent, with very comfortable beds. I was disappointed by the breakfast, the food was tepid and lacking in choice. However we had much better food brought to our room and in the coffee shop.
As others have mentioned the location is good, opposite the park and with a good market nearby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Colon Quito? Share your experiences!