“If you must stay in the Centro historico” 5 of 5 stars

La Casa Tolena Hostal
La Tola Alta Centro Historico, Quito 02, Ecuador   |
Ranked #21 of 169 Quito B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“If you must stay in the Centro historico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I can't recommend staying in the Centro historico. It is miserable, dark and busy but not in the good way. There are limited food options and pretty much no nightlife that you want to be a part of...
With that disclaimer, I will say that this is a gem. The location is a 5 min walk to the centro which makes it quieter at night (although not quiet at 6am when traffic starts) The staff is very attentive and great. I had typical traveler stuff going on and had to hang out there long past check out time. While they didn't let me stay in the room longer (I don't blame them) they let me stay in the mirador area which is amazing. They also helped me get a cab to the bus terminal when I needed it and charged a fair price for it. You can't beat the price, which might be motivation enough to stay in the musty little centro historico.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2015

my husband and I stayed at this place and we really loved the service. The owners were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is good! They give you a lot.
I had good nights rest and comfortable time here. I really recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014
KL, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2015

Then this is the place to be - only problem being is that the centre is dead at night so trying to even to find places to eat is hard but there's Tim Pollo right opposite this place to grab a cheap albeit unhealthy bite. There's also a bakery opposite Tim Pollo. Everything is alright with this place. Just note that the nearest bus station is Plaza Marin and you will be fine. It's more like 15mins walk to centre and mind you, lots of uphill

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2014 via mobile

this was our 3rd hostel in Quito during a 2 week visit to Ecuador
Pro's: spacious room. We had a big room with an additional loft. We used the loft as a storage room for dirty clothes
Private bathroom. Nice not to have to leave your room in middle of nite
Quiet building. It felt like we were the only ones there, and might have been. We looked inside several other rooms to check them out.
Clean: bathroom felt a little rundown but overall it was pretty clean suite
Bed: excellent. Felt like home. Much better than other hostels
Con's: we were in room facing street and the city starts moving at 6am so be prepared to wake up then. If you don't like that, ask for a different room facing inwards. They don't have windows except for in bathroom
Language challenge: they try their best to communicate but it can be tricky. I think only Carolina can speak some English
Breakfast: we're never quite sure what it was about. Dad pointed at sign one time but it was in Spanish
TV was from 1950 but that's ok since 20 channels had the same show. We just watched Netflix when needed

Overall we felt this place was the best of the hostels we stayed at.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2014

I planned on staying in a more well known hostel, that is actually further away from Historic Quito, but after a night here in a hostal room (3 beds) for $12 a night, and had the entire room to myself, hot showers in the cold Quito mornings, and the amazing view from the rooftop bar/terrace- I changed my plans. The other hostel I considered was rated 'best hostel in quito' but after reading the reviews of lack of hot water, and crowded, I really consider Casa Tolena to be under-appreciated~and that is part of what I loved about it, was that it wasn't touristy. The owners are very friendly, and helped me find some points of interest for me, such as a little walking bridge in barrio San Juan where I took some amazing pictures. The daughter of owner spoke English, and offers Spanish classes. Rooms were super clean, they even buffed and waxed the hard wood floors of our rooms. Why stay in an expensive or crowded hostel when you can have this place almost to your self, no having to wake up early to take a hot shower before everyone else does.... remember Quito mornings are cold, I wouldn't want to take a cold shower in Quito! Always had piping hot water, super cozy beds with giant wool blanked, and awesome staff, 5 min walk to historic Quito- seriously what is not to like. I will include a few photos from the rooftop bar, absolutely amazing views! If you want a romantic suite, ask for the top floor room, it has breathtaking views and a nicely furnished salon, huge bed- quite romantic really.

Room Tip: Top floor room has outstanding views, and cozy sitting room with beautiful furniture, and huge bed.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2014

La Casa Toleña was our first stay in 3 months travelling around South America and is very well located 10 mins walk from the historic old town. We arrived late in the evening and Fabian was there to let us in and show us to our room. We had the room on the top floor with super views and a separate living area. The room was spacious and while a bit chilly in the evenings, there were plenty of warm blankets on the bed, although they were a bit dusty so could do with a good shake. The bathroom was clean with hot water and relatively decent water pressure.

They have tea and coffee and filtered water in the reception area 24/7 which was really handy.

Fabian was incredibly accommodating and was very concerned for our safety driving us up to a restaurant one evening as the walk was dangerous (despite short) and there were no taxis.

Where the hostel could improve is in its social area. They have a beautiful upstairs communal lounge and bar area but there was never anyone in it and no one serving, which was a shame but this may just have been because we were there in the low season.

Overall a very friendly and welcoming hostel. Thanks to Fabian and his family for a great start to our trip.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
hengelo (ov)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

We booked this hostal and asked via mail if they could contact us for an airport transfer. They did not respond until the day before we would check in, at this time we had no wifi so we saw the mail when we had already arrived at the hostal.
When we arrived, 4 men were sitting in the lounge, almost preventing us from coming in. Anyway, we registered and the father showed us the room. It was ok, old but very clean. We had stairs in the room going to a second bedroom, but we didn't dare to go up, as it looked old and dusty. Our room was on the side of a noisy street, with buses passing, and the exhaust smell actually came into the room.
We had hot water, which was great after 5 days in a jungle lodge.
When we went put to get a quick bite to eat, the father told us where to go. There is a good fastfood restaurant just around the corner.
The next day they helped us with our laundry, as we had a lot, and father (again) showed me where the lavanderia was. He also took us to the TeleferiQo by car, ehich was extremely nice of him.
Breakfast was good, although strangely served.
First, we got a sandwich with cheese and coffee. After 10 minutes, when we thought this was it, they came up with scrambeled eggs, fruit and yoghurt and juice. So now the bread was gone, and we had eggs without bread!
Breakfast by the way is up on a terrific roof terrace.
So, the verdict on this place is: we paid $ 32 per night, including breakfast, which is not bad. The hostal is in an old building, which is charming, but if they do not do any maintenance, within a year it will have lost all its charm. The building and the rooms could do with maintenance and a bit of a make-over. Everything is clean however. The roof terrace is amazing, breakfast is nice and the family is very friendly.
I do think there are better places to find in Quito for this price, but the family made up for a lot!

Room Tip: Try a room at the back of the hotel, to avoid exhaust fumes coming into your room!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to La Casa Tolena Hostal? Share your experiences!