“Just Another Hostel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Vibes Hostel

Vibes Hostel
You added Vibes Hostel to your Saves list
Vibes Hostel
Joaquin Pinto 132 y 6, de Diciembre | (two blocks away, from Plaza Foch ), Quito, Ecuador   |
Ranked #41 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Quito
Nipawin, Canada
“Just Another Hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

This was our first hostel when we got to Ecuador. After a three year break from travelling, the "dirty backpacker hostel" was a welcomed familiar sight, but a short lived novelty.

The bunks in the dorms are rickety, and I was actually afraid my bunk was going to fall apart! There is a courtyard area out back with old beat up comfy couches and a hammock, which was cool. But the two lounging areas, bar, and bathrooms seemed dirty the whole time I was there. The kitchen seemed to be kept clean, but we never used it.

Plus: Lockers in the rooms, and a locking gate out front for security.

It's an alright place to crash after a night of partying in Mariscal, but nothing special.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

After a great trip to Galapagos I had a 22 hours stop over in Quito I just wanted to have a shower and a bed to get some sleep this hostel was really the wrong choice I couldn't get any sleep because people where partying the whole night and also couldn't get a shower I mean after I saw the showers I don't wanted to take one for those people who like to play drinking games and party's the whole night it's the right choice

Stayed January 2014
santiagod879, Propietario at Vibes Hostel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
hello, thanks .

Well, as I see your real frustration is how there was a lot of party going on.

Indeed we are a party very social place and we are clearly advertised as a party hostel, so I let myself to recommend you and everyone looking for a hostel to check what kind of place it is before going there and feeling uncomfortable for not finding a really quiet luxury palace.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I've stayed in my fair share of youth hostels- but this place was absolutely filthy. So filthy that I opted to skip taking a shower because I'd be cleaner NOT taking a shower than taking a shower in that filthy place.
This is supposed to be known as a party hostel but it was pretty bleh in terms of a party scene. People weren't even that friendly.
The downstairs bathroom is slightly better than the upstairs one that is simply unusable.
There were people puking, in the toilets overnight and for a hotel with only 2 bathrooms- it should be cleaned several times a day- I never ONCE saw a cleaner there for the day I was there.

The front staff are a little useless- they are okay, not great by any means.
The beds were acceptable for a cheap youth hostel.

The thing is for just like... TWO dollars more you could get a MUCH better experience- I stayed at a few hostels in Quito and this was not only bad for Quito- but filthy overall in comparison to a lot of really sketch and/or cheap places I've stayed at before.

Shell out the 2 dollars and get a vastly better experience. Like across the street too.
The location is great- in the party district in new town- but there are dozens of cheap hostels in that area too that are far better than this one.

The SINGLE highlight that is pretty cool about this place is that they have lockers for each bed that are pretty secure (bring your own lock) AND they have a plug in EACH one of them so that you can power up your devices while you are asleep or are out. That's a neat addition.

Room Tip: use downstairs toilets. Upstairs bathroom is filthy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
After reconfirming I will not even bother to reply to this comment.

The frustrating nature of these comments can give the reader a general idea of this review being fake since we never found anyone under your description and never heard back from you after trying to contact you.

The unloyal competition plus the poor system this website has or actually non-existent system anti fake reviews results in a few fake comments from people who never stayed here or people who were kicked out of the hostel due to their behaviour.

thanks
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

The hostel is located in a great place. The common room is quite dirty. Toilets are disgusting. The breakfast for 1.5usd is over rated since around the corner a bakery will offer a better selection for 2 USD.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

If youre ever turned away from this hostel, it is probably because the owner has a list of natonalities which he wants turned away! This includes Israelis, all asians and at least another 6 races and natonalities. This man is not only a racist, but will try to get with all the girls staying, if youre a guy and youre told you cant extend your stay because its full, its probably because youre competition to the owner. He will try to get the girls as drunk as possible. I spoke to lots of girls which had to say no to him througout their night out. Despite this, the other staff are lovely and very helpful. The beds are comfy and sheets get changed very often. Kitchen is good enough, but the showers are terrible. I stayed there for 19 days and the whol time, 2 of the showers were out of use and all the others downstairs or outside would go ice cold after 1 or 2 minutes. When they were hot, they were good. Breakfast was a joke.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Santiago D, Owner at Vibes Hostel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Hello
I hope that at last I can reach someone of you since this has been real hard , trying to learn the whole website just to keep in touch with you.
Im writing this letter cause I think I had enough of those fake reviews.
In the first place I dont know the legal terms of how my place can be listed on your website since I have had no contact or request for you to do it.
Second I need to know how I can get my place out of your website forever and I will be happy to provide any kind of documents
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I tried to stay here but they were full so I stayed at another nice hostel, minka.

My friends were staying at vibes so I went to visit them. The manager said that it was illegal for me to visit them since I was not staying there (yeah I believed that).

There was a pub crawl later that night. When I came back to go with the group, you guessed it, he said it was illegal for me to go on the crawl.

If that were not enough The crawl was starting late and since it was illegal for me to go we asked what bar they were starting at and the manager lied and said a bar they never even went to.

Why you may ask.... He wanted to hit on the gals and did not want another guy to compete with or to watch out for the girls.

There are plenty of good hostels here. Look elsewhere.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
hello thanks

well firstable as you say, you were not a guest of our hostel, so to start we didnt owe you any service but even so we were polite and helped you with the questions you had.
Second a senior person like you on your 70's would not be accepted in many of the places where we were heading on the night of the bar crawl, I tried to tell you that in the most polite way, none said it was ilegal for you to come, that is defenitely absurd.

And third and most important the young girls you were after that night and have been for a while were the ones who told me to kindly get rid of you, which is what I did in order to cater for my guests. Also I let myself to do a personal recommendation with all respect, please stop following those girls everywhere because for a senior person like you that defenitely doesnt look good.

Santiago
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

This hostel has it all: Clean rooms, fast internet, great staff, excellent activities to join, a fully stocked bar with great bartenders, pool table, foosball and 2 big screen TVs, and its located right in the heart of Quito, which is such a fun city to experience. The owner, Santiago, is the best!!! He made me feel so welcome, that he will definitely be a friend for life. Besides telling me the highlights of the city, he even recommended places to go in other parts of South America, that were not even on my itinerary. The hostel hosted a Pub Crawl, which took 20 of us to 3 really great and different types of bars/clubs/experiences. I loved staying here and I know you will to. I highly recommend staying at Vibes…where the good vibes are just the beginning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Vibes Hostel? Share your experiences!