“Magical” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Magical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Jaime made our last evening in Quito truly amazing.... No need to go to any other restaurant, he understands service, heart and passion in his food and restaurant. My husband and I shared a Monday evening with Jamie where he took us into his wine cellar where he recommended a lovely Malbec wine, very affordable, and very delicious. We were mesmerized by the artwork, and every detail to the china made with gold and cobalt to the linens and crystal. We felt as if we were at home in a dining room made for royalty with an artistic flare..... Muchas Gracias Jamie,

• Visited April 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“Unique with great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

This places was very different then anywhere I've eaten before, and we were very happy we chose it. It was like being in someones house for dinner. Everything about it was different, in a good way. When I asked if I could see the wine menu, we were taken downstairs to the cellar to pick something out. I told him what type I'd like, and he suggested a bottle that was quite reasonably priced at $35 US. I almost wanted to tell him to pick me something more expensive! On our way back to our seats I saw some sparkling wine, and decided to go with that instead, but I was happy we got to go downstairs and see more of the place.

When staying in Quito I dined at a few places with amazing views of the whole city, but this was just as good as any of them, and the food was probably the best I had while in Ecuador. Mind you I don't eat red meat so I can't speak on that. We both had a different chicken dish and loved both.

It was a great find and I highly recommend it. The waiter was very friendly, called us a taxi when we were done and then waited with us to make sure it came.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I stumbled into this place, after trying a restaurant down the street that was closed. The owner greeted us at the front door and took us upstairs into the elaborately decorated front dining room. We were the only people in the restaurant, which had us worried. We ordered white wine, which the owner recommended and we were off to a good start, as the wine was great. We both ordered fish dishes that the owner recommended, mine was quinoa crusted and it came with vegetables! It's rare to get fresh veggies in Ecuador, besides potatoes, so this was a great surprise. We both enjoyed our meals, so much so that we decided that we order the passion fruit ice cake, which was delicious. The restaurant is really unique, lots of art work and an owner who is a real character. Our bill was around $60, which is pricey for Ecuador, but not for the quality of the food and service of this restaurant. The only thing that would make this restaurant better, would be a busier atmosphere, so go eat there already!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“just perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

the place is amazing. The rooms in the restaurant seem like an art gallery, great art work. The paper walls are beautifully done by the owner himself! The service was impeccable and the food was great! Highly recommended!

• Visited January 2014
Providence, Rhode Island
“Like something out of a dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Overview: great food, truly spectacular wine selection, and a totally unique experience. Do not miss!

We found this place on Trip Advisor and called to make a reservation an hour before. They "fit us in" and when we got there we had the place to ourselves. As the other reviews say, it's just the husband and wife team who run it, but Jaime (I believe), the husband, was a brilliant waiter. The house is gorgeous, eccentrically but tastefully decorated with art on pretty much every vertical surface, many tables set in different rooms, and, truly, seems like it's taken out of a beautiful dream. After ordering we went with him to the insanely expansive wine cellar where we looked, talked at leisure, and picked out a few bottles on his advice to match the food. Match it did, and the food was also wonderful. As we were leaving another lucky couple came in. Truly, one of the most magical dining experiences of my life. Do not miss (and do not skimp on the wine, Jaime is a brilliant sommelier and the wine was a highlight).

Pro tip: take a cab there and back as it is a bit far and the area is a bit dodgy. Jaime is happy to call one for you on the way out and hotels can tell the cab driver where to drop you off on the way in.

• Visited June 2013