“Cozy, laid back, very nice” 5 of 5 stars

Via Pedregal, Quito E460, Ecuador   |
Ranked #19 of 169 Quito B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Scottsdale-AZ
“Cozy, laid back, very nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This was the favorite place I stayed on my three week vacation on Ecuador's high land. Pretty, laid back, all meals included. The eating place is in the main house so we had a chance to talk to the other travelers, very interesting people over there. The main house has electricity and internet, the cabins don't, you use candles, there is a fire place, they start the fire for you while you are having your dinner. There are no keys to close your cabin, at first I found it strange, but then I loved it, there is a safe inside the cabin you need to bring your padlock, I used it to safe the passports and money. You can see the Cotopaxi mountain from your room, if it is not covered by clouds, we had a view of the mountain in one full day out of three we were there, beautiful mountain. It takes a while to get in there, it is not far from Quito, but there is a more than a 1 hour stretch of rough road, that requires high clearance 4x4. Several people I met in there came from Secret Garden Quito, some very cheaply, it appears on Tuesdays there is a car from Quito to supply Cotopaxi and they charge less for it, otherwise they charge about $40 for the trip from Secret Garden Quito to Secret Garden Cotopaxi, but I think well worth it. The lodge is about 40 min far from Cotopaxi park parking lot (rough road), they can arrange a guide to take you there (guide is mandatory to enter the park) for about $15 per person. They can also arrange a guide for who wants to climb the mountain, I did not use their guide, I used Gulliver expeditions and regretted terribly, I can't tell if their would be better, but would never go again with Gulliver's (I put a review in there if interested). I want to stress climbing Cotopaxi is not an easy task, but going to the base camp is interesting for people in reasonable good shape.

Room Tip: All is good
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights here and made great friends with several of the other visitors as well as with the staff. The volunteers who lead tours and organize everything were hard-working, attentive, and entertaining; wish we could have spent more time with Remi, Sophia and Victor!

The most beautiful scenery we experienced in Ecuador hands down!! The hostel has a beautiful garden and amazing views across a huge valley with horses, llamas, cows and with the Cotopaxi volcano in the background.

If I only had one place to visit in Ecuador, it would be here! Skip the Secret Garden in Quito where the staff is on the frosty side and come straight to Cotopaxi!!

Room Tip: Your own wood stove in the cabins! An awesome addition!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I originally booked 2 days at the Secret Garden Cotopaxi, but we ended up staying for 5 days. I have nothing bad to say about our stay. We slept on comfortable beds, ate the most delicious food EVER, had amazing hikes with wonderful guides and made awesome friends from all over the world. We didn't want to leave. Next time we go back to Ecuador, we will go straight to the Secret Garden Cotopaxi. Worth every penny!!

Room Tip: The dorm beds were extremely comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Although this hostel costed $40/person for a 8 person dorm, we loved this hostel so much. There were unlimited towels and teas, a fireplace in the dorm and a jacuzzi. They have free guided trips to little waterfalls and the food was amazing. The locations is not really close to Cotopaxi and the tours for it are really expensive. The staff were all very kind and helpful. Would stay again.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed in the dorm room and loved it. It was very spacious and clean with a cozy fireplace in the middle. Despite it being expensive, it is worth the money. The food was so good, there is unlimited tea/coffee/water, we did a fun complimentary waterfall hike and used the bikes and jacuzzi. I definitely would recommend this place.

yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had such a wonderful time here. Maybe it was because of the people who were at the hostel at the time, but the location, the rooms, the service, just made it a great place to be. I stayed in the dorm which was so spacious and down right gorgeous at night with the log burner and candles lit. The beds are huge you don't eve feel like you are staying on a bunk bed. And then in the morning you open the door to a stunning view of cotopaxi. I loved the cost evenings by the open fire, with a glass of wine chatting to everybody after delicious home cooked food. Not to mention the jacuzzi which is brilliant at night lit by candles and if you are lucky you can see the glow of the Cotopaxi glacier and a star lit sky through the glass roof. I did two walks whilst I was there which were beautiful, one being to Cotopaxi glacier which is excellent value and Marco is a brilliant guide. I can recommend anybody in Ecuador to stay here.

yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had such a beautiful time at this hostel. Maybe I was lucky with having great people there at the same time, but besides this the location is just stunning. You open your room to a view of Cotopaxi and open countryside. I stayed in a dorm room and the beds are very big, the room spacious and so cosy when the log burner is lit in the evening. The food is delicious, and its like home from home sipping wine, chatting to other guests over an open fire. The guided tour to Cotopaxi is very good value and the other walks also well worth doing. I recommend this place to everybody. Oh and I almost forgot the jacuzzi! Wonderful at night, lit by candles.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Secret Garden Cotopaxi? Share your experiences!