“Hostal La Ronda” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 154 Quito B&B and Inns
New York
“Hostal La Ronda”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Beautiful location, lovely suites, delicious breakfast. Hernan, Gloria, Kenya and Andres made us feel as we were part of their family. I have never felt so welcomed while traveling. The pick up and drop off at the airport were very convenient and the trips that were arranged for us were fantastic. It was so much fun traveling with Kenya and Andres. . . we even went zip lining together while we were in Mindo. Our 4 night stay at Hostal La Ronda was the perfect finale to our adventure in The Galapagos.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Birch Run, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

We visited Old Town Quito on our way to the Galapagos. We spent 4 nights at La Ronda Hostel, Hernan and his family were wonderful! They are very acccomodating in arranging transportation and personal tours. The rooms are very clean and breakfast was more than adequate. The Hot water is a little tricky it took 3 days to figure it out! The area is quite busy at night with lots of activity and noise, so if you want it quiet ask for a back room away from the street side.We felt plenty safe as we were exploring Old Town, however we did make a point of being back on LaRonda Street shortly after dark just to play if safe. There are plenty of little pubs, shops, internet cafes and activitys to entertain yourselves on La Ronda Street. We did a trip to the Equator which was very interesting, well worth the time to visit. We ventured to Otavallo Market using public transportation took about 3 1/2 hours but it was a challenge and a fun adventure for around $5.00 each compared to $120.00 dollars for a tour. The Market was large with beautiful things to purchase for a very fair price, great place for souveniers. It is a full day adventure from Quito so plan accordingly. We spent two full days between Old Town tours, the Equator and Otavallo Market. We saw alot of great history, beautiful churches and the clock tower was all very interesting and a must see while you are there. It would be worth your time to learn a few spanish words before you arrive, it will make communication alot easier but you can get by without it. The people were very friendly and accomodating. One last thing, I ran out of time but talked with travelers that went to Mindo and went hangliding!! I feel like I missed out, they said for $60.00 dollars it was simply amazing, so if your up for an adventure work it into your plans! The temperature in Oct 2011 is cool at night and mid 60's during the day, so be sure to take a light jacket. The Galapagos was Amazing and the weather was perfect!!

Room Tip: Street side rooms, you will definitely hear the night life, and trust me there's alot of it!! Fu...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

We spent several nights in this family owned hotel during our travelling through Quito to Galapagos, Oriente, and before our return back to Europe. The location of the hotel is great - directly in the center of Old Town. The owners are very friendly and helpful. They organized all our transfers to and from airport or bus station, made a day trip for us and a guided tour of Quito. Storage of our diving gear during a week trip to Oriente was not a problem. They were open to help us according to our demands. There is a good restaurant inside a hotel. The rooms are clean, the only disadvantage is noisy Saturday night in La Ronda - but it is an overall problem in this location. You can join the people dancing on the street :-)
I fully recommend the place because of location and friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

After researching hotels in Quito, I chose Hostel La Ronda solely because of it's location in the Colonial District. My first pleasant surprise was having been met at the airport by Herman at midnight to take me back to the hostel. Once I saw the area and the hostal, my first thought was that this was the perfect choice! My room was very clean and spacious with all the amenities: TV, fridge, micro and a view to kill. Breakfast is served ever morning and the hostels restaurant and is highly recommended for dinner. Herman, Gloria and Kenya were so kind, considerate and helpful, that during my entire stay I always felt very much at home. While the weekdays here can be a bit quiet, the weekends are another story. Looking down from my third window balcony I felt like I was at the Mardi Gras in New Orleans.The street below was filled with costumed dancers, musicians, and vendors along with hundreds of people just having a great time. The vibe was incredible and must be experienced! Speaking of experiences, I would highly recommend the numerous tours that are available here at the hostel. I went on two of the tours offered and they were well worth it. My sincere thank you to the entire Hostal La Ronda staff for making me feel like one of the family. I'll be back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Hostal La Ronda is in an excellent location. The recently renovated La Ronda area is so beautiful and lively. Most of the buildings are recently restored with balconies, flower pots and Ecuadorian flags for a very festive feel. There are many restaurants and shops on the street. With security proved and cars banned it is very popular and a great place to walk around in the evening. (So popular that you may want to bring earplugs if you will be there on a weekend night.) La Ronda is also very close to the major old town sites.

The hotel rooms are spacious. We and our friends stayed in more than one room as we came and went from Quito. Room #1 has a view of the Panecilla. One of the rooms didn't have a very good shower (#3). The hostal owners are very helpful and friendly.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I picked this hostal out of the blue. It turned out to be a great decision. First, its location is unbeatable. Our suite overlooked La Ronda and for two of the three nights we had front row (balcony) seats to Festival La Ronda. This was totally unexpected and a perfect adjunct to a family vacation.

Secondly, our plans to visit the coast fell through. Gloria and Hernan stepped in to drive us to the coast. They attended to our every need and we felt like royalty. More importantly, we became extended family of sorts. These eight days were fantastic and we spent every one of them involved somehow with Hernan and Gloria. Did this tour cost money? It did but I have no idea if the price was good or bad; all I know is it met our needs and assisted us in a travel crisis.

Hernan and Gloria and their family manage this hostal. It is not without some problems such as have been mentioned and the beds are pretty typical of Ecuador (not especially comfortable). But, its clean and incredibly reasonable and the location is without equal. You feel like a member of their family the minute you walk through the door. If this is the experience you hope to find in Ecuador, you need look no further.

Room Tip: Hot water in Ecuador is often a problem no matter where you are. It is rarely
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cuenca, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

I spent three glorious nights at this hostal. The location is unsurpassed. My balcony on the third floor overlooked an ancient street which offered endless entertainment due to the interesting types of people against the backdrop of quaint architecture. I can't imagine a better spot to enjoy the many attractions of the Historical Centre. It was a bit noisy but I occupied a suite where one of the bedrooms was away from the constant bustle of the street. It would be a good idea to bring earplugs. There is a price to pay for atmosphere and it is a small price.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hostal La Ronda? Share your experiences!