“Great fun, great value, amazing day out!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 79 Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Owner description: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC TRAVELLER has chosen the BIKING DUTCHMAN among the 101 ATRACTIONS IN SOUTH AMERICA The pioneer and leader of mountain bike tours in Ecuador, with more experience and equipment than the rest, we offer an array of top-of-the-line, quality biking adventures ranging from day trips and treks in the Andes to gentle rides through the Amazon rainforest. Our tours are sure to please bikers of all ages and levels of experience
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Glasgow, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Great fun, great value, amazing day out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I booked a one day trip out to mountain bike down volcano Cotopaxi and the park and had some of the most fun i had in my entire time in Ecuador. Our guides were so professional and real mountain biking pros so I felt safe with the advice they offered us. The ride is stunning, though warning- it's freezing and super windy up at the refuge camp start point. Make sure you are adjusted to the altitude before you set off too, a few of our group felt a bit ill. Incase you find the ride tough though, a support van drives along at the back so you can jump in at anytime, really good. The bikes are good quality and safety is really high priority. Pack lunch offered was home cooked veggie food and so tasty, everyone wanted seconds. I would have loved to do a longer trip with Biking Dutchman if I had the time, as they are a great agency with fab guides and experience. Don't miss out on the Cotopaxi trip though, it's awesome :)

Visited January 2014
biking-dutchman, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Oh thanks so much for your review. The fact that you have taken the time to write it, clearly shows how much you liked the trip with the BIKING DUTCHMAN. Thank you for sharing with others your experience with us.
I particularly like your insight, as a client, of how it is to be out there. And up there, at 15000 ft. It is awesome but one should not take it that lightly. It is important to have proper equipment too. The fact that some people felt ill, is THE reason we chose -years ago- NOT to walk to the refuge. From our point of view it might jeopardize the biking, which is the mean reason we take you there. We strongly believe that there is much more to offer in the Park. I am happy to hear your opinion about it.
I also hope that you will consider us for your future holidays in Ecuador.

Brisbane, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Amazing views: a great way to see Cotopaxi National Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My boyfriend, his brother and I did the one-day tour to Cotopaxi National Park in February. We had great weather (though it's really chilly on the volcano slopes) and the bikes were in good condition. My helmet looked like it had withstood a couple falls and definitely could have been replaced with a new one, but that was the only fault with all the equipment provided on the day.

Our guide, Fernando, seemed a bit short when we first met at Magic Bean and didn't introduce himself til we were already at the refuge of Cotopaxi. I understand that he probably does these tours all the time and it's hard to keep your energy and enthusiasm up, especially at 7am but it wasn't the best first impression. Not to be overcritical, Fernando was well-organised and efficient, and softened up during the day. I wish he had talked a bit more openly about the history of the park, the geography and thrown in a few interesting stories.

Everything went smoothly throughout the day, the scenery was spectacular, the riding was a little challenging but also thrilling, and with a group of 17 riders, only two sustained some scratches and bruises from falls. The lunch was homemade pasta salad, ice tea, a piece of quiche and delicious carrot cake. There was enough for seconds. Our biggest complaint was that we weren't given water unless we requested it. Logically it's a good idea to bring your own drink bottle but this should be emphasized and highlighted, especially because fluid intake prevents altitude sickness. Another suggestion would be that once you arrive to the national park, it would be nice to give out a piece of fruit since it's a long time between leaving Quito and the picnic lunch.

All in all, I can see why Biking Dutchman is the top when it comes to mountain biking tours. Though I may have been critical, we would definitely consider doing another tour with them next time we visit Ecuador. Stop thinking and get on a bike! It's the best way to see Ecuador's landscapes.

Visited February 2014

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

biking-dutchman, Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
We read your long and meticulous review. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
I am sorry that your experience with Fernando was not as good as usual. We are used to hear only good things about him. For instance, this is a comment, recently written by another client who also had Fernando as a guide: “Our guide, Fernando was a blast - super enthusiastic and knowledgeable - a great example of someone who loves his job, and boy does it show!”.
Regarding the “snack” and the water. We clearly explain to all our clients that ONLY a box lunch is included. Our lunch is not only nutritious but also fulfilling but in deed it is served at lunch time. We mention also that, if you are a person who needs a little extra in between meals, you should bring it for yourself. I am sorry that it was not clear.
Regarding water I am sorry but I fail to see what was wrong: If you would have said that there was not enough water, then I would understand. But what you say is “it was not given unless requested”. My question to you is, if you needed more, why didn’t you request more? I am sure that my crew would have given you in a blink of an eye, because we understand very well that it is important that you drink plenty of water. It is my first advice and therefore we provide as much as you want/need.
I am glad that, in spite of your critical comments, you would still do another trip with our company. Hopefully you do and we have the opportunity to improve, especially communication as it seems that it was a little lack of that that created false expectations from you.
Toronto, Canada
“Fabulous - A perfect case study of how to run a business!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Last week, I did the Cotapaxi mountain bike ride to celebrate my 50th birthday, so very much wanted it to be a special event.... I was not disappointed. The previous day we had done a hike up to the glacier and a short bike ride down with another company so I started to worry that the Cotapaxi bike ride might just be more of the same or something similar. I contacted Ana at the Biking Dutchman and expressed my concerns - she was super helpful and explained how the ride I had booked would be something special.....and indeed it was.

From the very beginning the trip got off to a great start - being met with a warm welcome at the Magic Bean by Jan (the owner) and our guide Fernando. Then the drive, which gave us a chance to get to know the other people on the ride (a nice group of ten) getting to the volcano and doing the bike ride - so much fun and energetic too. My partner and I have done a fair bit of biking but there were some novices on the ride as well - they were supported fully but at the same time we weren't held back in the least. The countryside was fabulous as the ride takes you out into some stunning landscapes. Our guide, Fernando was a blast - super enthusiastic and knowledgeable - a great example of someone who loves his job, and boy does it show! We had a delicious home made picnic out in the middle of this stunning countryside where Ana (owner) had made a special portion for me to cater to my garlic allergy.

The Biking Dutchman is a perfect example of how businesses should be run and how having someone like Fernando who obviously has a passion for biking, makes such a difference. Needless to say we are now planning our next trip with this company - hopefully one of their longer three or four days trips. Can't rate them highly enough....

Visited February 2014
biking-dutchman, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Oh Julia, you are so generous and thoughtful.
I felt so moved with your kind words. And I am so very happy that I was able to help you. It was so good that you did not change the tour. It would have been such a waste.
I cannot thank you enough for writing this great report in the Trip Advisor.
I reckon that I, as client, would love to hear what you so nicely wrote!
Jan and I are particularly proud of what you said: “A perfect case study of how to run a business”. As owners of the company, there is absolutely nothing that a client could have said to make us prouder and happier.
Again many, many thanks for your insight and kind words
Baltimore, Maryland
“Must do in Ecuador!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We did a two-day tour with Biking Dutchman and it was amazing. We lucked out and had great riding weather and got to see some wonderful scenery along what was mostly a downhill trek. The short recovery at Papallacta hot springs was a great addition to the cycling. Everyone was supremely helpful- especially including Ana who scheduled our trip and cooked our delicious lunches and Beto who guided us through the whole two day adventures.

Visited February 2014
Thank you very, very much for your kind words. They inspire us to go on on this business. It is not always easy and we cannot please everyone. But if you put your spirit into it, we are almost sure to please the majority, which it seems to be the case. Thanks for giving a good advice to all TRIP ADVISOR’s readers: It is a must do!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best time of my life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I cannot speak highly enough of this tour! I recently did a 2 day trip with a group of friends at Cotopaxi and the Quilotoa crater. It was very easy to book last minute and it was a great value.

My mountain biking skills leave much to be desired, but I successfully stayed on my bike this whole trip. Our wonderful guide, Fernando, took the time to make sure we had all the right safety information and some other tips to make each section of the ride easier. He was always happy to snap pictures for us. He also did a great job keeping an eye on everyone in the group from the fastest Dutchmen to us gringitas still on the learning curve. It was very reassuring to know he had great medical training just in case and that there was always the option of taking a ride in our trailing Jeep.

Cotopaxi Park is absolutely incredible! While it was not perfectly clear, the volcano gave us the privilege of a few glimpses between the clouds that I will never forget. I felt like I was on another planet with such stunning scenery. Lunch at the Incan ruins was delicious (pasta, quiche, tea, carrot cake!!) and I don't think I stopped smiling the entire ride. I loved that most of the ride is downhill and the uphills were just enough to get your heart racing at the altitude. They never lasted too long.

On the drive to Quilotoa Fernando impressed us with his knowledge and passion for Ecuador. His English is probably better than mine. We also loved that he made a stop at a great panaderia for us.

We stayed at the Alpaka Quiolotoa Hostel. It was beautiful! Nice clean beds, linens, down comforters, pillows, and towels. Hot tea always available. Dinner was excellent ($5) and even guests from surrounding hostels joined. Private bathrooms with showers were clean. Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Loved having wood burning stoves in our rooms. It is chilly in the hostel and rooms, but I love hanging around a fireplace for warmth and there were plenty of blankets on the beds. Just be aware that you'll be sleeping at about 12,500 feet. We had been in the Quito area for a few weeks and did fine with the altitude.

On Day 2 we had a great hike along part of the rim of the crater. It was nice we had a few options for our morning adventure. Prettiest view ever and Fernando helped us capture some awesome pictures.

The second day of biking was great fun too! I just wish I had some nice bike shorts since my rump was a little sore from the day before. Definitely not required though as I survived just fine. Did some descents on paved roads as well as dirt roads. Lunch was excellent again. The few uphills weren't too overwhelming.

All in all, I think that this is the best way to experience Ecuador, and I would come back again in a heartbeat to do a longer trip! I was so sad when it was over. Just don't forget some warm clothes and layers as the mountain weather can be unpredictable! Thanks, Fernando and Biking Dutchman!

Visited February 2014
biking-dutchman, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
I recently posted your review in our FACEBOOK with one comment: "This review was actually overwhelming. It made me shed tears of gratitude! Thank you so much for this review in TRIP ADVISOR."
I would like to add that it was for us a pleasure to work with so enthusiastic passengers!
You were open to experience something completely new, to enjoy the scenery, to share a night with the community and support them with what they are doing now, and which is new for them too!
Thanks again and I hope that you will soon come back and do a longer tour with the BIKING DUTCHMAN