“Best time of my life!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 31 Outdoor Activities in Quito
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC TRAVELLER has chosen the BIKING DUTCHMAN among the 101 ATRACTIONS IN SOUTH AMERICA The pioneer and leader of mountain bike tours in Ecuador, with more experience and equipment than the rest, we offer an array of top-of-the-line, quality biking adventures ranging from day trips and treks in the Andes to gentle rides through the Amazon rainforest. Our tours are sure to please bikers of all ages and levels of experience
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best time of my life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I cannot speak highly enough of this tour! I recently did a 2 day trip with a group of friends at Cotopaxi and the Quilotoa crater. It was very easy to book last minute and it was a great value.

My mountain biking skills leave much to be desired, but I successfully stayed on my bike this whole trip. Our wonderful guide, Fernando, took the time to make sure we had all the right safety information and some other tips to make each section of the ride easier. He was always happy to snap pictures for us. He also did a great job keeping an eye on everyone in the group from the fastest Dutchmen to us gringitas still on the learning curve. It was very reassuring to know he had great medical training just in case and that there was always the option of taking a ride in our trailing Jeep.

Cotopaxi Park is absolutely incredible! While it was not perfectly clear, the volcano gave us the privilege of a few glimpses between the clouds that I will never forget. I felt like I was on another planet with such stunning scenery. Lunch at the Incan ruins was delicious (pasta, quiche, tea, carrot cake!!) and I don't think I stopped smiling the entire ride. I loved that most of the ride is downhill and the uphills were just enough to get your heart racing at the altitude. They never lasted too long.

On the drive to Quilotoa Fernando impressed us with his knowledge and passion for Ecuador. His English is probably better than mine. We also loved that he made a stop at a great panaderia for us.

We stayed at the Alpaka Quiolotoa Hostel. It was beautiful! Nice clean beds, linens, down comforters, pillows, and towels. Hot tea always available. Dinner was excellent ($5) and even guests from surrounding hostels joined. Private bathrooms with showers were clean. Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Loved having wood burning stoves in our rooms. It is chilly in the hostel and rooms, but I love hanging around a fireplace for warmth and there were plenty of blankets on the beds. Just be aware that you'll be sleeping at about 12,500 feet. We had been in the Quito area for a few weeks and did fine with the altitude.

On Day 2 we had a great hike along part of the rim of the crater. It was nice we had a few options for our morning adventure. Prettiest view ever and Fernando helped us capture some awesome pictures.

The second day of biking was great fun too! I just wish I had some nice bike shorts since my rump was a little sore from the day before. Definitely not required though as I survived just fine. Did some descents on paved roads as well as dirt roads. Lunch was excellent again. The few uphills weren't too overwhelming.

All in all, I think that this is the best way to experience Ecuador, and I would come back again in a heartbeat to do a longer trip! I was so sad when it was over. Just don't forget some warm clothes and layers as the mountain weather can be unpredictable! Thanks, Fernando and Biking Dutchman!

Visited February 2014
biking-dutchman, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
I recently posted your review in our FACEBOOK with one comment: "This review was actually overwhelming. It made me shed tears of gratitude! Thank you so much for this review in TRIP ADVISOR."
I would like to add that it was for us a pleasure to work with so enthusiastic passengers!
You were open to experience something completely new, to enjoy the scenery, to share a night with the community and support them with what they are doing now, and which is new for them too!
Thanks again and I hope that you will soon come back and do a longer tour with the BIKING DUTCHMAN

Breda, The Netherlands
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We enjoyed the 1-day biking tour to Cotopaxi. Helped by the fantastic weather we had a superb view on the volcano and a great cycling experience. Good bikes and safety instructions, nice homemade lunch and group. We were guided by The Biking Dutchman himself, which was good fun!

Visited February 2014
biking-dutchman, Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for writing about your experience. We are even happier to read that it was a great one too!
After 22 years of running this business, we are still very committed to provide memorable biking experiences to our customers. And it is rewarding to read that we are doing the right thing! Jan was very pleased to read that his work is valued. It is not like it used to be: he was accompanying all the tours. Mountain biking was so new in Ecuador that there were not many biking guides. He led the way and now Ecuador had many to be proud of!
Boulder, CO
7 attraction reviews
“Great Addition to Ecuador Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Was spending 2 weeks in Ecuador and thought this would be a nice addition - and it was.
Well run company and our 3 day trip really ran well without a hitch - which is saying a lot as it often is not the case with group travel.

But have your expectations in line. This is not a luxury trip but the accommodations are clean and scenic. Others have said this, but if you are going up to the higher elevations, bring warm clothes as it does get cold - especially the lodges that have limited heat. I will admit that I was sleeping with my ski hat from home on at night.

Also realize that this is not a serious bike trip but simply a nice way to see the area. Most riding is downhill and a combination of dirt and pavement. But a really nice way to see the sights.

Our guide, Edward or Eduardo, was super and informative and generally a really nice guy to spend a few days with.

The only reason I held back on 5 stars was I think the trip can be improved by rounding out the experience a bit with helping us travelers learn a bit more about Ecuador, Ecuador culture and foods. For instance, just picking up a bag of some of their unique fruits to share with the group so we can learn their names and enjoy.

Nice job Biking Dutchman.
Last note, Ana is super working with!

Visited January 2014
We were very pleased to read your review.
Each one of the crew does his/her part in order to have a good end product and accomplish what we are here to do: Provide great holidays to our customers.
Your advice about the fruits is a great one, and I will certainly pass on the tip to the owner. I am glad that you also received a good service from our guide and that Ana was up to the task!
We will try to keep up the good work!
Quito, Ecuador
“Breath taking in every meaning.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The price was affordable, guide was great, weather was perfect, and wasn't as difficult as I thought. Highly recommend it!

Visited February 2014
biking-dutchman, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
I wish I could be as direct as you were in your review. Short but precise. Maybe it is not in my gens...
Thanks for the great review. There is actually no more to say.
Tralee, Ireland
4 attraction reviews
“What a Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Booked our trip very last minute so a bit unsure what to expect....
Turned out way better than we could have imagined.

The clouds cleared long enough to take some amazing pictures of Cotopaxi before we descended on the bikes.

The guide was great and although we got some rain (which of course is out of human control) he made it very enjoyable and had regular stops and told us lots of stories and information.

We had a lovely lunch and once we finished the company was very accommodating in getting us to a point we could catch a bus to our next destination, as we chose not to return to Quito.

Would definitely recommend the Biking Dutchman for a great day out in a stunning location.

Visited November 2013
AnaNoboa, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
You made my day! I was so happy reading your feedback. It is rewarding to hear that we were able to provide another great day in Cotopaxi. That the tour exceeded your expectations is a bonus!
Every day we prepare ourselves to welcome you, clients who come from different countries to visit us. You become then ambassadors who will tell your countrymen about Ecuador, and of course about the BIKING DUTCHMAN. Thank you for that. Thank you for spreading the word: Ecuador is a gem worth visiting. We are honored that you chose us to show you one of our most cherished treasures: Cotopaxi!