“Perfect Place to Stay in Quito!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Los Rios N 13 - 11 y Julio Castro | San Blas, Quito, Ecuador   |
Ranked #10 of 167 Specialty Lodging in Quito
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
“Perfect Place to Stay in Quito!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

This is a fantastic hostel, with a fantastic owner, in a fantastic location!!!

My boyfriend and I reserved five days during Santa Semana, and we're so glad we did! The owner is a fellow Canadian and was super nice, and very helpful with information on how to get around. The hostel itself is situated pretty much right in between Old Town and New Town, which is perfect as everything is within walking distance. The hostel is one of the cleanest we've stayed in, with lots of bathrooms and hot showers so you're never waiting for either.

The main areas of the hostel were well organized, with two common areas both with TVs and a newer computer available to use. The kitchen! The kitchen was the BEST we have used so far, extremely clean, very well stocked with new kitchen tools, and even a crock pot! There was no breakfast included but there is free tea and coffee, and with that kitchen available it was no problem to run to the very close grocery store and cook something ourselves.

We stayed in the dorm closest to the main areas, and had very big comfy bunk beds (could fit two people in one bed fairly comfortably). It can get quite cold in Quito but the blankets were very warm and comfy so there were no issues there.

I would definitely reccomend staying here!

One small negative - this hostel isn't 24 hours, so if you show up before 8am or after 9 or 10pm, you'll need to find somewhere to wait until it opens.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Trier
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

The hostel was the best I could find in Quito. I immediately felt comfortable. It was clean, especially the kitchen, the beds were big, the blankets warm, but the best was the service. I was in total 4 times between the different trips in Quito and left my big bag there for no extra charge. One time Sandra took care as well of my passport and valuables. She was very helpful, also with different kind of informations, taxi calling etc.. Thank you again!
In total 5 stars, great value for money!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

COMFY, CLEAN & CLOSE TO EVERYTHING.
This is my third stay at Hostel Revolution. Like many guest reviewers before me, I keep returning here after disappointing stays in a few other Quito hostels. You feel welcome and at home from the minute you arrive. HR is close walking distance to everything yet still in a quiet area. The dorm beds are large and comfortable with lockable storage lockers underneath them. The place is spotlessly clean and it has the best equipped hostel kitchen I have ever come across. Sandra and the staff are friendly and informative. I loved the terrace, the big screen TV and the happy hour beer prices. In short, I recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Try to book the double room on the top floor close to the showers.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This is the fifth time we have stayed at Revolution, over the past six weeks.
We have used the dorms and the private rooms.
Sandra is as always helpful giving advise to all.
We have no problems recommending this place to everyone.
The hostel has three dorms each with six beds in and two private rooms.
The hostel is located between the old and the new town. Taxis pass by the door so it is easy to get places and also the trolley bus goes from the bottom of the road.
If we are in Quito again we will be staying here

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

This hostel contributed to one of our best experiences so far on our trip, The owner was kind, considerate, and pointed out numerous things to do within walking distance, as well as advising on which places were best cabbed to due to the questionable nature of the barrios we would have been required to walk through. And their kitchen was absolutly breathtaking. Big, clean, high class stoves and cooking equipment, it was wonderful to cook in. the beds were comfortable, and the view from the top, while not 'to die for' was quite nice, overlooking some of old town and towards the high rises of new town. The location was perfect as well, <10 minutes from the center of old town, and <15minutes from new town walking. the only negative is the lack of lockers to put your valuables in, but other then that, this hostel does everything right.

Room Tip: the 3rd floor has much quieter rooms, as well as a nice breeze through the windows.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed at Revolution Backpapers in May. I want to be as fair as possible when I give this review. The facilities in the hostel were all very good and the beds all very comfortable. And in fairness to the management they let us stay on all day which was much appreciated.

My issue however is not with the facilities but with the management/owners. A group of us (5 in total) arrived at the hostel at 6:30 AM, coming from the bus from Montanita. As we were a group of five we arrived slightly earlier than our two friends in the other taxis.

On arriving at the hostel there was a sign which said the hostel doesn't open until 8 AM. This was not an issue for us, as we decided that we would wait somewhere else, like a coffee shop or something similar. We did not want to wait out in the open. However as we arrived first we had to wait literally two minutes for our friends.

It was at this point that two men approached me one wielding a knife. He demanded my phone off me, while the other man grabbed my hands. They managed to get my phone off me, while still pointing the knife at me. As they were leaving they started slashing the air in front of me with the knife.

At this point, obviously fairly shaken and nervous, and fearful that these men would return, we decided that unfortunately we would be left with no choice but to ring the doorbell and ask for assistance. We were answered by one of the managers or owners, I'm not sure which, who was unhelpful beyond belief.

I was extremely apologetic and explained what happened to us, and asked him would it be ok to store our bags inside. His rudeness was shocking. He said to me that if I was sorry for ringing the doorbell I shouldn't have rang it. Again after apologising to him, he begrudgingly let us leave the bags in the hall, we were refused entry into the hostel until opening time.

A few minutes later, while outside, still extremely shaken, a woman appeared from the window above us and told us that we were making too much noise and that she had had very little sleep last night. Again we told her our situation but she basically told us that it was our own fault for hanging around outside at such an early hour. This would not have been the case had we known that the hostel isn't 24 hour, but this was never communicated to us.

I can completely understand that it was very early and that we had woken her up, but under the circumstances I would have expected some understanding and compassion. I know if I was in their shoes I would have done everything I could too have helped. Maybe this is expecting too much from a place where we we're staying and were paying customers.

Again, I can understand that hostels have rules, which are very important, but considering the circumstances I would have expected some help, even if it was an inconvenience.

I think it is important that people are aware of this because I would hate anyone else to find themselves in our position.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
HostelRevolution, Owner at Hostel Revolution, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Thank you for your posting. Here are the facts. We sent you an email outlining our reception hours. One of your group admitted receiving it and one of your friends who was already staying at the hostel informed me the night before that you were aware of our reception hours.

There was no reason for you to come from the bus terminal directly to the hostel at 6:00 knowing that we don’t open until 8 a.m. There was no excuse for pounding on the door, continually ringing the doorbell and awakening guests in an effort to be allowed in early. At no point was any one of you shaken, distraught or in need of any assistance. All five of you were simply loud and obnoxious even after repeatedly being asked to quiet down.

In spite of your behaviour and your questionable robbery story, which you described as an old $20.00 phone lost, that you did not care for, we treated you in the most professional manner possible. I appreciate your concerns for our future guests, but I can assure them that in 7 months of owning the hostel, no one has found themselves in a similar situation.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I stayed here for four nights over Easter. It was the first hostel I stayed in whilst traveling alone and I immediately felt at home here. Everyone was so friendly and the hostel is nice and small so you get to know people quickly. The beds were so comfy and kitchen always immaculately clean.

A lightning storm shut off the Internet for a few days so the owner kindly gave me a free night's stay without me even suggesting/hinting at it.

Overall a great place to stay close to Old Quito, especially recommended for solo travellers/couples or small groups!

• Stayed April 2014

Been to Hostel Revolution? Share your experiences!