“Great place if you want to entertain, food is okay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 522 restaurants in Quito
Cuisines: Argentinean
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Quito
“Great place if you want to entertain, food is okay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We had a three course dinner with the palate cleansers in between, service is excellent, food so so, the filet mignon we had was quite generous but a bit too thick so the consistency of texture varies, I believe it's more elegant if they would cut it in slices so we can judge the meat's cooked gradient.

I believe your service is managed by the owners so that's not a problem, we were really happy with the service overall, attentive and well coordinated. Perhaps, yes, the banter was missing, but again I was with guests so that wasn't necessary.

Do consider going to Alma, as one of the hotter spots in Quito, the neighborhood is super safe and it has the charm that there is only one way to get there, no alternate directions.

Oh, yeah, and perfect command of English with the owners, so you can let them what and how you want it.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
Quito, Ecuador
“Rated 5-star and earned it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Excellent food, very nice environment in the restaurant and the service you'd expect for a top restaurant. The restaurant is dimly lit for romantic meals but that may irritate you for a business meeting. The "observatory" of the kitchen is a unique feature.

Visited February 2012
Quito
“Go there and let them treat you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I love Alma. I am wondered why its ranking went down in Tripadvisor just by a series of very critical reviews of some people (obviously the same party). Alma is maybe the only michelin star level restaurant in quito. Continuously developing its menu, innovative aspects in food and a very good wine collection. we always go for the surprise menu in which you get 8 plates plus wine accompanying every single one. In practice, including all the extras, they end up to about 13 plates and very good collection of wines (make sure you have a taxi waiting for you and dont have to drive home!!). The atmosphere is pleasant and the service is low profile, no nervous, overly formal waiters here, but knowledgeable your people. Chef is visiting you on request and actually loves to have a chat about your personal requirements. Actually he can perfectly make a 8 course vegan menu if you ask so, and its wonderful. Maybe the only critisism is that it can be too much food and variety for just one night.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Quito
“Not much for vegetarians here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Our group ordered a fixed price menu. I was very clear that I was vegan but a couple of times they brought me dishes with cheese so it's a good thing I asked first if they were SURE it didn't have cheese. Every time my meat-eating friends were served a meat dish, I was served a mushroom dish. It was way too much meat for them and too many mushrooms for me. At the end I was still hungry and we had a huge bill to pay.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Fabulously creative and simply delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

My tour operator and friend, Santiago took me here for lunch one afternoon and we did not want to leave!
It is a gorgeous restaurant with food and service to match.
I loved the tasting menu and would recommend you try it!

• Visited March 2012