“service above and beyond” 4 of 5 stars

Hostal Sur
Francisco Salazar, Quito 134 E10, Ecuador   |
Ranked #95 of 154 Quito B&B and Inns
Covington, Kentucky
“service above and beyond”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We have just spent the last 2 weeks coming in and out of this hotel. Every single time that we just showed up 10 people with all of our bags, they dropped everything and did anything and everything that we needed to make our stay pleasant. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a nice clean, safe place to stay at in Quito.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Families
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

I traveled to Quito for an International Living meeting. I stayed in 3 Hostels and this was my favorite. The others were good but I really enjoyed the family and breakfast. I hope to visit again early next year. You wont be disappointed if you stay here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

Wow, what a wonderful surprise Hostal Sur turned out to be! I had found this place online and actually called and booked over the phone. I wanted to hear a voice that sounded interested in having us. I was not disappointed. From the moment we arrived til the moment we left we loved Hostal Sur. The place is cozy, clean, comfortable. Rooms are big, light, well appointed with plenty of space to spread out you and your luggage. The rooms and bathrooms are spotlessly clean and plenty of purified drinking water is provided for free. My husband and I used Hostal Sur as a homebase. We arrived to Quito from Miami, then went to Galapagos, back to Quito, to Black Sheep Inn in the High Andes, back to Quito, then to the Amazon, back to Quito, to the Cloud Forest and back to Quito again. Each time we arrived back at Hostal Sur we were greeted so warmly and they were always excited to hear about our excursion, just like friends and family would be. Everyone was so lovely, from Amparo who was there in the afternoons when we would arrive, to Luis who was there in the early morning when we needed a 5am wakeup call, to Sebastian who was the one who booked my reservastion over the phone. When we returned from the Amazon, we got back to Quito about 5pm with a suitcase full of dirty laundry. Amparo washed and dried it for me and had it folded waiting for me to take to my room, two hours after my arrival. The day I had a sore throat my husband went out to get me some chicken soup from a nearby Chinese restaurant but it was closed. Amparo was at the front desk. She picked up the phone and called another Chinese restaurant and had it delivered directly to the hotel. By the time I left Quito I felt like I had been cared for by family. We were also able to leave items we didn't need for a particular sidetrip with Hostal Sur while we were away from Quito overnight. There was never any problem or worry. Prices include breakfast which is really a good idea because most of the tours leave early in the morning. Internet is free on the computer in the lobby (a nice new one). I cannot say enough good about this gem in a nice quiet but conveniently located neighborhood in Quito. We recommended them to a young couple from Sweden whom we had met in Galapagos. They stayed there and loved it also. These people will do anything you need to make your stay enjoyable and comfortable and they can answer all your questions about Quito. Thank you Hostal Sur for making our stay in Quito so pleasant.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

A wonderful hotel that I can highly recommend. A friend of mine and I went to Ecuador for 3 weeks for an adventure/jungle trip in December 2008. We stayed in the Hostal Sur for 5 nights total. The prices are excellent, the rooms large, quiet and most importantly clean. There is a shuttle service to pick hotel guests up from the near-by airport and to drop them.

The hotel is run by an Ecuadorian family that is absolutely wonderful. They were so kind and helpful at all times, it is beyond words. We had so many questions in order to organize our trip, and the family helped us with each and every question and problem with the greatest patience and support. The whole trip was different because we had that kind of (local) support. All in all it is a hotel I can recommend in the highest terms!

Stayed December 2008
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

I stayed here with a friend for three nights and we were expecting a hostel, but actually it is much better, like a small family run hotel. They just don't have enough rooms to call themselves a "Hotel". Don't expect hip backpackers hanging around though, but rather young and old, quiet couples. The family who runs the hotel is very helpfull and nice, they gave us great advices about restaurants and travel etc. and were very helpfull when I got my passport stolen. They are wery welcoming and openminded and will also pick you up at the airport for free if you tell them. They speak perfectly well english.

Rooms a big and very clean, nice small breakfast with fresh pressed juice and eggs. Beds are good too.

Area is good too, you walk 10 min to the busy restaurant/club-area in the new town, and 15 min to the esmeralda bus service, the best overland bus service to several towns around Ecuador and it feels like a very safe area - something between business and living area.

I especially appreciated the good atmosphere at this hotel, the nice family, who just opened that hotel some month ago.

• Liked — Friendly staff and good value
  • Disliked — Free Internet didn't work always
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hostal Sur? Share your experiences!