“Veggie in Quito!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 619 Restaurants in Quito
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Grill, Fusion, Bistro, Pasta, Healthy, Ecuadorean
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fried Bananas is a cozy restaurant with a casual and relaxed atmosphere, right next to the main tourist plaza in La Mariscal. Our prices are much lower than one would expect given the quality of the food and service. We feature a variety of seafood, Ecuadorian specialties, grilled dishes, pasta, salads, vegetarian delights and more; all creatively prepared and as fresh as can be.You will want to be sure to save room for one of our signature desserts.I suggest checking out our website where you can browse the menu, read reviews and get more information about us.HOURS OF OPERATION: MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY 12:30-20:30 SATURDAY 12:30 16:30
“Veggie in Quito!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Being vegetarian in South America is hard. So when I find not only vegetarian food, but GOOD food, I am extremely happy. Fried bananas has veggie options for many of their dishes, and the waitress was happy to explain how they changed each dish to accommodate. I had a mushroom stew in vodka sauce (which was amazing) and avocado soup. I came with my parents, who had trout and chicken, which they both enjoyed. We shared fried bananas and fried apples for dessert. The prices here were very reasonable as well, definitely recommend for a casual dinner!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Minneapolis, MN
“Upscale dining without a sticker shock bill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We had lunch at Fried Bananas after arriving just as it was closing (8:30 PM) the night before. The return trip was worth it. It's a well-run, well-serviced and quiet restaurant with lower prices than you'd expect (by American standards), and excellent desserts. We enjoyed the shrimp ceviche but it was particularly salty/sour - Ecuadorian ceviche is much soupier than other ceviches, so there is a lot more lime juice at play. Our chicken and trout entrees were good but not necessarily memorable. The banana split dessert, however, was amazing and left us with a great lasting impression.

Note that the restaurant is a few blocks out of Plaza Foch, near the heart of La Mariscal, and is on a dimly lit street if you are walking at night. By day, no issue at all.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great vegetarian friendly restaurant in New Quito, Ecuador”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Finding a restaurant with several vegetarian options was a little challenging in Ecuador until we found this lovely little restaurant right off of Plaza Foch. My carnivore husband and my veggie self both found amazing dishes here and delightful desserts at a very reasonable price. The staff is very professional, while making you feel welcomed like family. We would return here in a heartbeat.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“For the Gringos who want to be Gringos”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I've lived in Quito for over a year now and finally made it to Fried Bananas to see what it was all about.

If you're a travelling backpacker looking for an affordable meal, little ambiance and something more familiar this is the place for you. This is a restaurant for gringos to rub shoulders with other gringos.

I ordered a fish dish which was incredibly over-cooked and over-salted. Trust me, any almuerzo restaurant can do 10 times better for a fraction of the price.

I suggest just coming for desert.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Quito, Ecuador
“Main courses are too oily”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

The only point of difference this restaurant might have is prices. However main courses were not tasty and was extremely oily.
Settings are quite nice and the dessert made of bananas and nuts was delicious.
If I gave it another chance, I would just go for salads!

• Visited April 2014