“Home away from home in Gringolandia” 4 of 5 stars

Hostal El Arupo
Juan Rodriguez E7-22 y Reina Victoria, Quito, Ecuador   |
Ranked #33 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Quito
Massachusettts
“Home away from home in Gringolandia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have come here so many times since 2004 that I cannot count. El Arupo is on a quiet, tree-lined street in the Mariscal section of Quito. This means access to nightlife, varied cuisine and a good night's sleep. Pilar and Luis are the main caretakers and they are warm and friendly. They can point you towards the correct bus, tell you where and when to be cautious, and cook your eggs the way you like them. The rooms are subdued and clean, good mattresses and excellent hot water. Full breakfast included.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This hostal is in the mitle of the city, it`s really quite to be there, people are really friendly, they help you with everything, the place is clean and they have good service.
Im thankful with them, I was staying there for 3 month and the ouners Celma and Edgar are allways there helping you, explaing you all the activities and all you want to know about quito and Ecuador.

Room Tip: Room number 15.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I arrived at the hostel in the evening only to be told that a previous guest is not feeling well and has extended her stay, that the hostal is full and if I could stay next door. Only issue is "next door" is 1 block away, and was a hostel where my friend had her passport, money and snorkelling gear stolen. It was getting dark and I had no choice but to stay in the other hostel for the night. I was so worried that I decided to skip dinner and stay in the hostel to guard my properties.
The next day when I went to the hostel, I was told the same story. This time, I was shown some rooms in its sister property, El Arupo B&B, and was given a discount. I chose one of the bigger rooms, which had private bath, table and couch. The room was clean.
Everyone was nice at both the hostal and the B&B. When I go out, they always enquire if I need a taxi so that they can hail one for me and tell the taxi driver where I was going and tell me the price of the trip. I was also able to use its printer for free. Breakfast consisted eggs, bread, juice, hot beverages, and banana.
The area around the B&B felt semi-safe, with party goers and others loitering around. The B&B has a locked gate and the main building is also locked at night - so get ready your keys when you return to the B&B. It was very noisy on Friday night and the loud music did not stop till 3am. It was almost as bad on Saturday but I was too tired and the music did not bother me too much. I extended my stay and fortunately it was quiet on Mon and Tues. The street at El Arupo Hostal was further away from the music I think.
Location wise, I could walk to many places of interests, including the historic centre, and to shopping centres.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Redmond
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was the first place where I stayed in Ecuador. I've stayed for tenths of times since, until I definitely settled in Quito. I've stayed both short term (2-3 nights) and longer stays (two weeks or so) both by myself, with my wife, with my parents and with friends. I've read a lot of the comments and I tend to agree with the following insights: 1. Place is representative of Ecuador hospitality for tourists. 2. Staff is friendly and helpful although language might be a barrier. Owner is accessible and there's also on-site staff (they live by the entrance) 3. Quality differs per room. They have an upper floor, a wing by the entrance, and lower floor rooms. Ask for a tour, walk around and try to decide the room before settling. 4. Earplugs are necessary. The entire La Mariscal district lives and breathes foreign tourism, party and all the attached pros and cons. Noise is one of the cons. Arupo is not necessarily the one with the worse problem, but is still necessary. Also, some tips: you have a very nice living room area with Internet (don't expect Wi-Fi to reach all parts of the Hostal) and TV, an opportunity for making friends, you have access to the kitchen, you can ask food deliveries or buy to-go from any restaurant in La Mariscal and eat around. Sometimes they're full for some nights and will try to relocate you in a nearby hostel -- in that case, please don't accept any in the same street (Juan Rodríguez) especially the one next door: they are all of inferior quality, and the one next door we dubbed it "Doors of Hell" // That said, I still recommend Arupo to friends and visitors that are OK with staying in a party area.

Room Tip: 3. Quality differs per room. They have an upper floor, a wing by the entrance, and lower floor rooms...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed at El Arupo for a few nights in our trip to Ecuador (we went back a couple of times to Quito). We found that this place was confortable, clean ans well located. Breakfast is very good. Moreover, staff was helpful and flexible (we changed dates and rooms). ++good value for money. May be noisy in some rooms, but it's not a problem with earplugs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Quito
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Just stayed in Arupo one night because the other hostal was full, but it is a very nice and coloful place. Very friendly and helpfull staff, would stay here again. Place is very close to the Plaza Foch where you can find lot's of restaurants. They also have a kitchen you can use and a room where the relax and watch TV.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed in this hostel on 3 occasions over 1 month in May and June 2012, for 4 nights in total. We booked in advance, a double room with private bathroom and had a lovely welcome each time. The hostel is scrupulously clean, sheets are changed every night, water is hot in taps and shower.

Breakfast is prompt and good, homemade fruit juices, bread, eggs. Good coffee. Access to the kitchen seems to be permitted all day, with coffee, tea and water available. Microwave available. Plenty of saucepans etc.

There is a secure room in which we left luggage for the different parts of our trip and on our last day after we had given up our room - each time free of charge. The security perimeter fence was being raised to over 2 metres whilst we were there - it felt safe, pleasant and serene indoors.

There is a computer in the comfortable lounge with internet access - this was also free.

Rooms vary in size and outlook. We used rooms 3 and 4, people in our group had rooms 2, 5, 12 and 8. Room 3 faced the road and without earplugs the nights (Friday and Saturday) were disrupted by the live music and car alarms but really the benefits and atmosphere of this hostel over others nearby outweighed this for us.

We were able to walk to all the Old Town attractions from here - and visit the artisans' market on the way. Also nearby was a square which was the hub of activity - live music and market stalls- in the evening. The nearby Magic Bean Restaurante was recommended and did not disappoint.

Room Tip: Room 4 was more peaceful than room 3, noise comes mostly from the music in the square, rather than t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostal El Arupo? Share your experiences!