“Wonderful Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand House

You added Grand House to your Saves list
Grand House
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Federico Varela 27 | Cerro La Cruz, Valparaiso, Chile   |
Ranked #40 of 80 Valparaiso B&B and Inns
portland, or
“Wonderful Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

I stayed at the Grand House B&B in Valparaiso Chile for 3 days at the end of my 3 week trip to Chile. Upon my arrival I was warmly welcome by Doris and shown to my room. Doris gave me a little map of the city and a brief introduction. After that she walked me down to the square and showed me where to catch the collectivo to get back to the B&B. The hospitality that Doris and Carolina showed me was so wonderful I had no desire to move on to Vina Del Mar. Every morning they had a nice breakfast for me and in the evenings they would sit and chat with me over coffee and cake. The house is a wonderful structure with a great patio with views of the city and harbor. My room was warmly appointed and very comfortable. I had a wonderful time staying with them it was a great place to finish my visit to Chile. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend their quaint B&B. I hope to stay with them again should I have the opportunity to return to Valpraiso.

• Liked — Hospitality was wonderful
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo

Stuttgart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

We agree with the other comments, very pleasant place to feel at home. Astrid und Bernd

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Manchester, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

I stayed here for 2 nights towards the end of a 2 week tour of Chile. As this was my honeymoon we stayed mostly in 5 star hotels, but decided to give this place a go as they had a good write up in the Rough Guide (plus there didn't seem to be many luxury options in Valparaiso) - and I'm so glad we did!

Doris and Carolina (our hostesses) really gave the 5 star hotels a run for their money in terms of personal service, English language skills and fantastic breakfasts! We were greeted on arrival with tea and chatter - before being shown to our lovely room which boasts the most amazing view of the bay. Nothing is too much trouble: they drove/ walked with us in to town in the evening so we wouldn't get lost and recommended the best places to eat; called taxis. Plus, their little dog "Curi" is the cutest little thing ever - I defy even the most hardened dog-hater not to cuddle her!

The Grand House is located on one of the many hills of Valparaiso: about 10 minutes taxi ride from the bus station, a 20 minute walk to Cerro Concepción (historical area) - alternatively. If you're feeling tired after a hard day's sightseeing, jump into one of the collectivos at the bottom of the hill for just 320 pesos and it'll drop you off right by the B&B (just ask the girls for more info and directions).

The house itself is very homely with lots of antiques, curios and bits and bobs collected by the girls' mum. Bedrooms are spotlessly clean and comfortable (with the aforementioned views) - ours had plenty of wardrobe space to store all our stuff. The shared bathrooms are also very clean - the shower is the only thing that is a little temperamental. Breakfasts are delicious and plentiful, plus the tea is the nearest to a good old English breakfast that I had anywhere in Chile (would recommend sticking to coffee elsewhere!).

All in all a brilliant B&B - I'd definitely recommend you stay here if you want to experience a slice of Chilean life.

• Liked — Carolina and Doris - brilliant hosts, plus the views
  • Disliked — The shower - but this is only a VERY minor gripe!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

Staying at the Grand House was such a wonderful surprise. First, you'll be amazed that this place even exists where it is -- out of the way up on a hill with a full view of Valparaiso. Once you make it down the steep drive, twin sisters Doris and Carolina (and their cute dogs!) will welcome you with smiles, tea, cakes and friendly suggestions for your stay (in English if you like). If it is a nice day, you can sit out on the terrace and see the world go by. Ask them the improbable story about how their English grandfather, a teacher, was able to build this house -- he was an extraordinarily lucky man who won the lottery twice. The place has charm and character, with a very nice breakfast in the morning. And with the collectivos from town, it is very easy and cheap to get back and forth to the bed and breakfast. Very highly recommended.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

This was the final place we stayed on a 3 week trip to Chile and it was quite simply by far and away the best place we stayed on the entire trip.

The house is wonderful, full of character added to by 2 tiny and friendly dogs. The hosts were incredibly friendly and informative - tea and cake upon arrival! Good breakfast and quite possible the comfiest bed I have ever slept in.

It's very easy to get up to the hotel in a collectivo from the main square for 300 pesos, which adds to the experience being bundled in a taxi with the locals.

The price was on the upper end of our budget but it was definitely worth it and added a real sense of character to Valparaiso. I would recommend it to anyone.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

Doris and Carolina run a wonderful guest house (B&B) in Valparaiso. This is our first visit to Chile and after a somewhat cold (unfriendly) visit to Santiago we were keen to see more.

The town is a working town with some tourist areas but if you want to experience culture and real Chile life go here.

Doris and Carolina provide bed and breakfast at reasonable rates in the very hilly backdrop of Valparaiso. The journey to the house is somewhat hair raising but fun at the same time.

The house is neat and tidy and the rooms are spacious. The small bits that it lacks (shower was a little temperamental) are totally made up for by the hearty breakfast and the overwhelming assistance Doris and Carolina give booking hostels for us and telling us all the local places to go. They also have good english and love to practise which meant we had some very enjoyable breakfasts (ask for pancakes!). They are also well travelled in Sth America and are keen to assist with onward journeys or simply explain the politics of the country.

We would recommend staying here provided you are not after a hotel experience as you are simply staying with a family, in their family house.

• Liked — Personal service by guest house owners
  • Disliked — cool shower
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

The Grand House's clean rooms, substantial breakfasts, and friendly (English-speaking) hosts make a pleasant stay; two small dogs and rooms full of character make it even more unique. Easily accessible on local transport from the center of town, this hilltop home is well worth a visit!

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Grand House? Share your experiences!