“Genuine warmth and homeliness away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
CL$4,000 off room rate
Ranked #3 of 79 Valparaiso B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Genuine warmth and homeliness away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

I can certainly recommend this hostel as a place to stay. Veronica and Claudia are very nice people and make sure that thier guests needs are met with genuine Chilean hospitality. The whole house is spotlessly clean and warm. It was even no problem to serve my breakfast at 6am because I had to leave early - really appreciated that. The location makes it easy to visit the fish market in the morning when the fresh fish is coming in just 10 minutes walk down the road which was great. Compared to some other places I have stayed in Chile it was very good value for money and I'll be sure to stay there again when in Valparaiso next time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at this nice little B&B - family home that's been converted. The woman who runs is it extremely nice and very attentive. Two things that really make this an enjoyable stay is the value for how much you pay and the cleanliness of the B&B. We really enjoyed it and I recommend for travelers to Valpo.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Rolla, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

Normally I stay in dorms in hostels when I travel. However, since I was in Valpo for two weeks, I decided to find a better room. I had the single for CLP$11000, which is comparable to a hostel dorm. However, the location, service, friendliness, bathroom, bedroom, and breakfast far surpassed my expectations.

Breakfast was served every morning at 8am, usually bread, ham, avacado, jam, and cheese. However, upon request we could also have cereal or eggs. Tea and coffee were the norm, plus fresh squeezed orange juice. We had a key for the gate and front door, and the key to our room was left in the hallway. Every day the owner cleaned my room and organized my stuff. 3 fresh towels every day. The bathroom was kept clean, as was the rest of the house.

The location is next to the University Tecnica Frederico Santa Maria, which was convenient for me. The house is up the hill from the Portales metro station, which I used to get down town. Collectivo and bus service also go nearby. There are small food shops nearby, but I think the nearest large supermarkets were downtown. Usually about (less than) CLP$300 to get downtown one way.

There is a beach at the base of the hill and 5 sea food restaurants which are easily accessible by bridge.

Overall, a great deal and great service. I would recommend this house to anyone staying in Valpo.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
East Moline, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

Carino Porteno is as good as it gets for an accomodation. The breakfast and hospitality are beyond compare -- I could live like this everyday. The location is a fair distance from the city center but the seaside commuter train is a pleasant way to get to the downtown as well as to the port. Valparaiso and Vina del Mar are both worth a visit and even if they were not, it would be worth coming for a stay at Carino Porteno alone.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Godzone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

This accommodation was excellent. This is a family home that has been converted into a B&B. It is as new inside, with new bathrooms, lovely views out to the sea, great breakfast and very friendly owner-operators.

The only possible negatives are that it is 1/2 way between Valparaiso and Vina del Mar, so not really central to either, but it is 5 minutes´walk to the metro system which will get you to either Valparaiso or Vina in 10 minutes. Food options are limited and expensive near the B&B, but it is a quiet, peaceful place to come back to after a hot day sightseeing in Valparaiso or Vina.

I would definitely recommend Carino Porteno.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

This B&B has a very good location, clean and cozy rooms, and delicious breakfast. We were planning to stay here for only one night and ended up staying for 5. Why? It is conveniently located between Valparaiso and Vina del Mar, in a central yet quiet neighborhood, so we decided to used this place as our base to travel around.
We stayed in Claudia's room (on the 2nd floor), which has a double bed and a balcony with an ocean view. After a good night's sleep, the best part was breakfast: freshly squeezed orange juice, tea or coffee, delicious (and addictive) home-made cookies, bread, avocado, ham, cheese... yum.
I would definitely come back!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
RusiaChile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

We have stayed in this hostal for 3 days with my husband, my mom and my children of 2 years old and 6 months. I can say that we spent a very good time there, the owner of Cariño Porteño is a very nice and frendly, her hostal is very clean and lightful, we felt like in the house of our very close relatives. I was worrying about how to go there with my babies, because they are pretty noisy, i didn’t want to bother owners, but señora Veronica made me feel comfortable... and obviously she likes children very much. Another great thing of staying in this place was it’s location – near seafood restaurants. I can recommend you to go and enjoy the food in Doña Tatito!
Besos, abrazos.. Olga Milova and family.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Carino Porteno? Share your experiences!