“Noise, Stairs and Inhospitabable Staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Da Vinci Valparaiso

You added Hotel Da Vinci Valparaiso to your Saves list
Hotel Da Vinci Valparaiso
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Urriola 426 Cerro Alegre | Urriola 426 Cerro Alegre, Valparaiso 2370642, Chile   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Valparaiso
Escondido, California
“Noise, Stairs and Inhospitabable Staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I loved Valparaiso. The city is absolutely charming and beautiful. It needs a bit more TLC, but don't miss it if you're going to be in Santiago. (the Tours for Tips is great- one of the best city tours I've ever been on).

I did a two-night's stay a the Da Vinci Hotel and was so glad to leave. The hotel sounds charming on the website, but it is far from it.

Location: The hotel is behind two (?) front doors on a very steep street. The street is dark and tagged by gang signs and not by any of the charming art that Valpariaso is known for. The neighborhood, if you can call an empty, boarded-up street a neighborhood, is nothing. There is nothing nearby. Two blocks down the road are a bunch of old banks and notaries. No restaurants, no stores, nothing a traveler wants. There are lots of great areas of Valpo, this isn't one.

Public areas: If you love walking up stairs everywhere, this is your hotel! And there is no elevator. Enjoy lugging your suitcase up the stairs! The lobby is uninviting- just a couple of chairs and books about Venice. Very little information on Valparaiso here- go to the tourist office on the main square.

Rooms: My room was one of the smallest hotel rooms I've every stayed in. That includes New York, Hong Kong, Italy, England and every place in between. Beside your bed, there is one folding chair, a 2x3 wardrobe, and three small built-in shelves. There is literally no place for your suitcase, except a small area of the floor. And there is no window, except a window into a glass-enclosed cooridore. You will get no fresh air here! The world's smallest and noisiest hotel room costs C$ 32,000 a night.

Noisy. The floors and stairs are all wood and you will hear everyone walking up and down the stairs as well as everyone in the breakfast room on top of your room. This loud and incessant noise starts at 7:30 AM. Wear your ear plugs. Also, they like to play loud rock music in the evening- that starts about 8:30 PM- so don't plan on relaxing.

Bathroom: Imagine the smallest shower stall you can imagine- now take half that away. There is no shelf and you cannot pick up you shampoo on the floor of it without opening the door, stepping outside, picking it up, then getting back in the shower stall. Try to ignore the mold growing on the tiles. Also, the shower faucet fell off and I had to pound it back on to make it stream water again.

Interent: Sketchy- goes on and off and the two girls gossiping with each other at the front desk could care less.

Hospitality: No one offered to help or acknowledged my existence. The clerks hid behind the front desk which itotally obscures seeing them. They only time they spoke to me was to take my money, how me where my room was located, and try to sell me a taxi. Upon leaving, I asked about taking the bus for US$.50 to the main bus station. The front desk girl told me that she would call me a cab that would cost US$10. Good thing the manager showed up just then. He was helpful: Offered to walk me the two blocks down the road to the bus stop, told the bus driver where I was going and I saved US$ 9.50!

Breakfast: Good! Lots of good food in the nice top floor breakfast room. This was one of the few things the hotel did well.

For the price, you might as well pay 25% of the rate and stay at a local hostel. You'll have warmer hospitality, more room and less noise.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
enrico_gualdi, Propietario at Hotel Da Vinci Valparaiso, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
The city of Valparaiso, named World Heritage by UNESCO, is mainly characterized by its 42 hills and abundant stairs to access them, the hotel is located in one of the most important hills, Cerro Alegre, and want you to know our hotel is located approximately 50 meters from the banks and exchange houses, which we believe is of real importance to the people we visit, on the other hand, also in front of us there is a staircase that leads to Cerro Concepción , where you can find the best restaurants of national and international food in the city, and next to us is another staircase that leads to Cerro Alegre, where you can also find great places to eat, or just climb Urriola street, street where we are located, which divides the two hills and surprised by the large number of restaurants, art galleries, architecture typical large city and attractive importants demonstrating the unique history of Valparaiso.
One of the most important points that have our location, is that we are involved in the area as a heritage of humanity, is usually guarded and guarded by police in the area, there are no gangs, there may be some scratches buildings, but that goes beyond our reach, is only due to lack of tourism and environmental awareness of some people.
regret not having met your expectations Travel, and not complying with their requirements while you stayed with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

As a lot of you must also do, I spent a great deal of time reading other reviews at Tripadvisor.com before booking anything on our trip to Valparaiso. In the end we opted between two hotels: Morgan and Da vinci, going for the latter as a coin toss. I cannot tell you how lucky and happy we were with the choice! First, we were greeted by Enrico, an Italian expat who manages the place. We got there from Santiago at 10am, but the check in was 2pm. The hotel is a cozy and warm 3-story house super close to everything that is worth seeing (BTW, should you look at options, consider only cerro alegre or cerro concepcion; 85% of everything there's to see, eat, buy, and walk is over there). Hating tourist traps, Enrico not only gave us fantastic dining options not commonly advertised by the brochures, but we got tips on cafes, bars, lounges, even walking paths! And he received our bags and brought them up to our room once it became available... Everything, and I mean everything he told us, was right on the spot. So we can honestly say we saw Valparaiso the way we should have, and not through the filtered, watered-down views of your typical run-of-the-mill tourist trap maker (though you can't avoid some of those). Rooms are super clean, service is outstanding (Next day Enrico even knocked on our door at 11am inviting us for breakfast and his won't-find-anywhere Italian coffee!) The staff is super friendly, the location excellent... what else can I say? This should be your option should you decide to go to Valparaiso. Having been there, we got to walk past some of the other hotel options we considered, making us even happier that we decided to stay at Da Vinci.

The trip was fantastic but just because of the hotel, the staff, and the advice we received. And these all came from one spot: the Da Vinci Hotel. Thank you!

Room Tip: This is not a Hyatt or a Marriot; it's an old house refurbished with a lot of love. For all of t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

From the moment I arrived I felt right at home. It is clean, welcoming, and very comfortable. I was very tired and I'm not sure I would have done as much exploring if there wasn't so much information available from the staff. The tours 4 tips walking tour was excellent. After that I felt very comfortable exploring the city. Coming back to the Da Vinci after walking is perfect. They have everything you could possibly need to feel right at home.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Guayaquil, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Sus dueños Andrés y Enrico hacen un excelente trabajo, gracias a ellos y a mi querida Carolina, Alvaro y demas chicos (soy pésima para recordar nombres) mi estadía fue de lo mejor, Hotel Da Vinci es una casa remodelada, linda, acogedora, todo limpio, calefacción, cable, wifi gratis, desayuno incluido, mucama a la que es opcional dejarle una propina; su trabajo es tan bueno que es imposible no hacerlo. Esta ubicado en una zona patrimonial, a pocos pasos bajando al plano por Urriola estan las calles Prat y Cochrane donde encontraran casas de cambio, lugares donde comer y pasear, para arriba desde el hotel una zona turistica muy bonita. La calle ahora es doble vía así que es muy fácil llegar, es ademas un hotel económico, 100% recomendado.

The owners Andrés and Enrico do an excellent job, thanks to them and my dear Carolina, Alvaro and the other guys (sorry I am not very good remembering names) my stay was the best, Da Vinci Hotel is a remodeled house, cute, friendly, everything clean , heating, cable, free wifi, breakfast included, maid which is optional to leave a tip, her work is so good that it is impossible not to. It is located in a heritage area, a short walk down to the plane are Prat and Cochrane streets where you will find money exchange, cheap places to eat and Ascensor Concepcion, walking up from the hotel is a beautiful tourist area. The street is now two-way so it is very easy to get, is also a budget hotel, I recommend this hotel 100%

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The website hooked us in, and the man in all the photos is as helpful as he looks. We stayed three nights and couldn't have felt more at home. All the staff extremely friendly and couldn't have done anything else to help.

The owner gave us a lot of sites to see and information. The internet was fast and reliable and the breakfast included each morning was possibly the best I have had on holidays.

It's great value and we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I loved this hotel. It is in an ideal location in Valparaiso, a very short walk away from restaurants, the port, and other attractions in the tourist area. There is free parking although it is about a 5-10 minute walk. I did not find that to be a problem as the walk was easy and interesting. The people that work there are helpful and friendly, we especially enjoyed the ladies that made our terrific breakfast every morning. There is a computer available for guests and also an "honesty cooler" with a selection of drinks both with and without alcohol. I read in previous reviews that room 10, which has a full bed and a twin bed, was too small but I thought it's size was fine. I did switch to room 10 after my initial booking, because I learned that the ceiling height in the twin up and down room was only 5'10" in the upper level and my husband is tall. The shower was small, but the bathroom was scrubbed daily and the room felt very clean. If possible, an upstairs room might be advisable as the rooms downstairs are right off the entryway and reception area. The hotel was quiet though, I brought ear plugs and didn't hear a thing at night. One thing that I did have that I needed was my voltage and outlet converter for my American appliances. I'm not sure if the hotel has any for guests to borrow. There is a good feeling in this hotel that is hard to explain. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Eindhoven, NL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

In a lovely old building halfway up Cerro Concepcion, this is a great little find. The rooms are characterful with (in our case) extraordinarily high ceilings - about 5m... The bathroom was a little small, and because of the extensive plumbing you have to wait a few minutes for hot water to make it through the pipes - but it's not a major issue as there is a sign warning you of this in advance. Just don't be in a hurry.

The 'honesty bar' in the communal sitting room is a nice touch, and the staff are very helpful and friendly, introducing themselves over breakfast, etc. The breakfast was easily the best of our 3-week trip to Chile and Argentina, with fresh fruit salad, and cheese/ham toasties, and scrambled eggs on top of the usual bred & jam if you have room...! Best taken on the little rooftop terrace.

There was contruction work in the street outside (mentioned in another reviiew), which didn't make it look that pretty from the outside, but that's only temporary (we were there end of Feb 2012), and we were offered a discount (unsolicited and unexpected) for the 'inconvenience'. As for getting luggage up the hill, take the ascensor up Cerro Concepcion, then it's downhill...

We loved Valparaiso, and the Da Vinci made it even more special.

Room Tip: It's an old house - don't expect ulta-modern facilities and you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Da Vinci Valparaiso? Share your experiences!