“Definitely different” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Borago

Borago
Avda. Nueva Costanera 3467, Vitacura, Santiago 7530078, Chile (Vitacura)
56 2 953 8893
Neighborhood: Vitacura
Sacramento, California
“Definitely different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Hubby and I have eaten a lot of tasting menus at some of the best restaurants around but this was truly a unique experience. The restaurant is in the ritzy area of Santiago, kind of like Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. The decor is very modern and minimalist so you really focus on the food in front of you. We opted to do the tasting menu with the wine pairings and then off we went on a journey through Chile. That is the whole intention of the menu at Borago - to take you on a journey to all parts of Chile. To sum it up, the food was some of the most unusual I have had and I am still trying to wrap my head around some of the dishes. Our first course included edible "dirt" and we ended with a frozen dessert that had us breathing smoke out our noses. If you are adventurous, this is the place for you!!!

Visited December 2012

80% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Very original experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Went for diner

We like going out in special restaurants (French living in ny...)
We got the tasting menu with wine pairing

The waiters were very nice and helpful to explain the menu

It was a very pleasant experience o discover such food in a very nice place and ambiance

Eckman
“Delicious, unique Chile gourmet experience restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My chef husband and I had a wonderful "discovery" dinner at Borago 2 weeks ago while on a 2 week wine-food trip to Chile, and really enjoyed it! It is truly a trip thru Chile's food, culture, and geography through a series of delicious (and exquisitely beautiful) small plates and wines- all the foods and wines are Chilean, as are the serving plates and presentation concepts- even the bottled water was Patagonian rainwater! The restaurant is elegant and the service was relaxed and totally charming; we were told the background and story of each dish (which is extremely important) in English :-) We both wished some of the dishes had been a bit larger as they were so delicious, but we were full by the time we finished dinner! My hubs is a chef, and the restaurant gave us a lot of ideas for things we may be able to do here at our inn in West Virginia. Highly recommended for foodies and those truly interested in Chile food, wine, geography, and culture, and in having a unique, as well as delicious and esthetically pleasing (and romantic) dining experience! Note that it is not inexpensive, but it's not "insane"; the complete dinner, including wines and tip, cost us approx. $220; they do accept US credit cards, so that was not a problem. (If you're looking for an all-you-can-eat bargain cafeteria you will NOT be happy!)

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
“Arrogant, simply put”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I went to Borago with my husband and mother-in-law to celebrate my husband's 30th birthday, and arrived with high expectations regarding service and food. I will not comment on the food since we walked out after the first course. Rather, I will tell you about the terrible experience I had with the service.

After being seated our waiter arrived at our table to tell us about what the restaurant and its food philosophy was about. My husband and I were extremely excited, but my mother-in-law a bit apprehensive since there are a few things she does not eat. The server told us about the 8 course tasting and presented this as if it was the Only option. Even when we expressed my mother-in-law's tastes and concerns, he marched on saying that we had to give it a try. In No moment did he tell us there was the option of ordering off a menu. Or at least show us the pricing for the tasting. He blankly presented us with one option, which we agreed to since we thought it was the only choice.

5 minutes later, we see a table holding menus. We called our waiter over, a bit upset, but not indignant. We assumed he would apologize and say it was a misunderstanding, and we would move on. Instead of apologizing, he repeated the same 2 sentences over and over about how the restaurant's proposal was to offer the tasting. He claimed he had not presented us with other choices since we had agreed to the tasting. I argued that one cannot choose something if no other choices are presented. He kept repeating himself and in no way admitted his lapse in judgement. At the very least he should've showed us the menu to begin with so that we could have a look at the price. But in a way that can only be described as arrogant, he pressed on with his rehearsed and absurd argument.

We didn't quite know what to do. We were there to celebrate, it was an important date, But I felt that what had just happened, in a restaurant of this caliber (or any for that matter), was inexcusable. Noticing our discontent, the manager came over. To my extreme surprise, he maintained the server's position and never once apologized (or even used any degree of apologetic or regretful language) and also demonstrated a steely arrogance that shocked me. I have never received treatment like this in any restaurant.

We decided to leave. Rightfully so, there didn't charge us anything. But they spoiled an extremely important night, for their inability to admit to a clear and obvious mistake and their arrogant demeanor.

I don't often write reviews (on my list of things I should do more often), but my husband and I are people who love going out to eat and were very much looking forward to Borago. It was an upsetting experience.

• Visited December 2012
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“An amazing experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

What an amazing experience, I think I never took SO many photos of food in my life as during this dinner!
We had 8 courses and each single one was not just delicious but also amazing to look at!
As it's not just a meal but an 'experience' you get full explanations from the dedicated staff about the food and the wines.
One of those places you have to visit before you die!

• Visited September 2012