“Not worth the money” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #119 of 173 Hotels in Santiago
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

This hotel is rated as four star accomodation. From the outside it looks very smart and initial impressions were good. Unfortunatley for us that is where it ended. We thought that the hotel reception staff were not at all welcoming and the rooms that we stayed in on two seperate occasions were not up to the rating that it displays. We did not have any hot water, the lights did not work, toilet seat broken, bed was uncomfortable, t.v aerial did not work correctly and there was not protection for the outside noise of the city. We are usually pretty chilled out when it comes to hotels, but we paid alot of money and felt that the value was no where near delivered. The only plus points are that it is very close to the city centre and the breakfast is ok.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sao Paulo, Brazil
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Im the kind of guy that does everything before cuz I hate surprises. I made the reservation 6 months before, and I reserved a superior room (which should be bigger) when I arrived they sent me to a small room, very small, I never saw a room so small, I felt so abused and complained demanding to relocate me to a bugger room, they said they were booked but they had a bigger room with two beds I said NO, I MADE THIS RESERVATION AND I DEMAND MY ROOM, in the end they said my room would be ready only tomorrow, I choose to stay on this bigger room with two beds and decided not to switch for the third time.
The staff was horrible and the guy kept telling me he hated to work there, there was to many problems.
The only good thing here is the location, its 5 min walk to the subway and its located in a nice part of town.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

Very friendly and helpfull staff despite my lack of Spanish. Walking from the tube to the hotel was a mere pleasure. Lots of activities around the station and trees in all streets towards the hotel. Nice and quiet neighbourhood also within walking distance from the centre.
Excellents price/quality. The rooms were ok and with excellent showers. I had both a single and a double room. Breakfast was the best I had during my 2 weeks in Latin America.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

It's so far from subway and fast traffic ways. Nothing to do. Excellent to job trips only.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Santiago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

I haven't stayed at this place, but I work nearby and always walk next to it. I've told the clerk 4 times that the Colombia flag is upside down, and always have an excuse that they can't change it because the assistant isn't there. Its been like that for over 6 months and its only 5 meters high! These guys are a bunch of ignorants and don't deserve to be called an "international" hotel considering their apathy and disrespect for another country.

Stayed February 2010
South Orange, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

We had a reservation here as part of a group tour. When we arrived, the desk clerk could not speak any English and was clearly frustrated. We had wanted marital rooms, but there was only one available.

The rooms were incredibly small. They are run down. The bathroom was dirty in the corners, because it is too small to maneuver around for them to clean properly. Our room was near the elevator which is very loud.

The good:
There was a decent view of the Andes like quoted. The night clerk was nice and helpful. At breakfast, the lady made me some eggs without ham which was appreciated.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Bungendore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

This hotel was booked for me by people in Chile. I had no idea what it would be like and was very pleasantly surprised.

All the staff, without exception, were very friendly and helpful. Most fo the staff could speak some Englsih. They were also reliable, for example all wake up calls were made on time, not something I could say about every hotel I have stayed in! The single room was fairly small but adequate for one person. A single room means a room with a single person bed. I had an ensuite bathroom as well which had a shower over a small bath. Rooms do not have tea/coffee making facilities but do have a sort of fridge which did not seem to be cold - perhaps it was not working or perhaps it was just a cupboard that looked like a fridge - who knows?

My room was cleaned thoroughly every day and I also noticed that all the public areas were kept scrupulously clean as well, including the computers.

The hotel has two computers in the lobby as well as WIFI which I could not get my computer to talk to. There is no charge for the computer access.

The breakfasts were OK - not wonderful but good enough for the price ($6 US). The coffee was dreadful though - this is a standard problem in Chile though so I shouldn't be surprised next time. I only had one meal and it was fine - nothing exciting but well cooked and just what I wanted.

I gathered that most of the other guests were Chilean,

The hotel is located in Providencia which is a pleasant area with shopping nearby and close to bus stops and metro stations (also close to a Carabineros station which could be a bit noisy if the lads were dashing off to deal with some crime or accident). Despite that, the hotel itself was quiet.

There is some limited off street parking available, otherwise you would have to park on the street.

Due to the time of year and consequent heavy smog, I couldn't see the Andes, or indeed anything much at all from my room. My room did have a window for which I was grateful as otherwise I would have found it a bit stuffy.

At the Maria Angola you get to meet real Chilean people. Certainly I would prefer to stay here than in one of the bigger chain hotels like the Marriott which seemed to be located in a giant shopping mall and was probably just like every other big hotel the world over.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Maria Angola? Share your experiences!