“Proper Pub” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #94 of 1,382 restaurants in Santiago
Cuisines: English, Hamburgers, Pub, Fish & Chips
Good for: Bar scene, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: We are a cosy pub that sells great tasting Chilean micro-brewery beers and we serve tasty food that goes well with the beers. We offer traditional Fish'n Chips, Hamburgers or you can try the Chilean Chorrillana. These meals and snacks, + others, are only served after 19:00, Monday to Friday, all day Saturdays Between 12:30 - 15:30 we offer a "menu of the day" for the Chilean office workers. We have outdoor seating, great in summer, and inside is a smoke free area. We show many international sports: AFL, NRL, Cricket, Rugby Union, NHL, NFL, MLB, Premier League. Directions: Avda. Providencia 2528.We are down one block from Tobalaba Metro and close to the corner of Holanda and Providencia. We are not easy to find when you are standing on the main street but if you look for a tall palm tree next to a shop called " Farmacias del Dr. Simi" then you will see an entrance to a small galleria. Walk down into the galleria entrance and you will see a terrace with table and chairs. These tables and chairs belong to us. We are directly to the right of the entrance and down a set of steps. We hope to see you sometime soon.
Santiago, Chile
“Proper Pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is not a place to take a girl on a first date - well, only if you are not planning to have a second date. It's a pub. It's dark, basic decor, basic menu, awesome, awesome beer selection. Even though the food menu is limited, it is great food. Proper wings (as in spicy - chileans don't eat spicy food), and incredible fish and chips (I highly recommend it), probably the only place in Chile that knows how to make it, great hamburger too. The micro-beer scene is still taking off in Chile but this pub somehow manages to have most of the brands that you don't find in stores. Best beer I've had in Chile. And great prices. I guess part of the success comes from the fact that the owner, who also serves a generous rhum&coke (see pic), was born in Australia and is of Irish descent - I mean, how perfect is that?

88% Recommend
Santiago, Chile
“Finally found a Santiago restaurant I would go back to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I admit to being disappointed with the Santiago restaurant scene. We've lived here almost three years, and we still don't have places we would go back to. I mean we've found some decent enough places… but a place where you left satisfied AND you wanted to go do it again? I want to go back to the Black Rock. I'll also say that I we all decided we would go back and we were a diverse enough group of two Americans, a fully integrated ex patriot American (half Chilean?), a Chilean, an African, and a baby (we think he would go back too). So here is the list of reasons I liked it:

1. The food was great. The menu was short and simple- its goal isn't to fuse Taiwanese with Bangladeshi with neo-Latino. The portions are huge. You buy your food, you get full, you like it, thank you. But most importantly, THEY DIDN'T UNDERCOOK THE FRENCH FRIES! That's right, the french fries were properly cooked! I don't know how many times I've gotten wet soggy french fries in Santiago (even after asking the waiter to have them "overcook" them), sometimes even with a firm, uncooked potato core. They also cooked the hamburgers properly (not black in the middle, and hand patted, not half-synthetic hockey pucks ordered on the industrial market), and understood how to make chicken wings. We have been greatly disappointed in the non-Chilean food in Chile, and generally attribute it to a fundamental lack of awareness of how the food is supposed to taste. Thai curry full of that green (not spicy) chili thing. Soupy chinese dishes. Pizza with cardboard crust. Sushi with crappy rice, oddly cut fish, and at strange temperatures. Chicken wings that are just kind of… cooked. Maybe the Black Rock could put on hamburger cooking classes around Santiago?

2. The beer and liquor list is original and manageable. They do not try to get every single beer ever made it seems, rather they seem to want get a list that offers a quality variety. Also, they appear to have what's on the menu. As in, they didn't run out of beer. I don't know how many times I have gone to a restaurant in Santiago and they have run out of draft beer. What kind of disorganized, poorly run, not-interested-in-the-client restaurant can't keep track of their keg stock? I've worked in restaurants, it's not complicated. Half of the benefit of draft beer is the taste, but the other half is the volume, often at 500ml per glass. Take note Santiago owners: if you put draft beer on your menu, buy enough kegs to keep it flowing. Like the Black Rock.

3. The attention was great. Another note to Santiago restaurant owners: I am the client, with the money, and I have come to spend my hard earn money in your restaurant. Maybe try to make sure I enjoy myself? Here are the hints, like they apparently do it at the Black Rock: have an attentive waiter/waitress who is available but doesn't hover, and who gets the orders correct. Have the owner (we think?) come by, tell a couple of jokes and then let us enjoy our meal. When we order a drink, have the drink appear less then a minute later. Make sure we have whatever we want (like plenty of ketchup). Thank the customer as they walk out the door. In other words, provide service. At the end of the day, we can cook at home if we want.

4. Ambience: we enjoyed the ambience, which is basically a basement bar. I am sure the new smoking law has greatly improved the atmosphere there. The place seems built for events- they don't have fifty screens for fifty different games, rather it seems that the goal is to have everyone come for a specific reason, watch one screen, drink too much, and start slapping the backs of the strangers sitting next to you. So being American, I will be planning on the World Series and the NFL playoffs. Hopefully they won't conflict with Australian rules football, which might get confusing. I also wouldn't know what to do with a cricket match. Maybe I should expand my horizons though. If I understood right, the owner is Australian and so they aim to have all the different types of sports up.

To summarize, let me apologize for making my review half a slam on the Santiago restaurant scene, but it's how I feel and maybe, among the other reviews, someone can relate. We very much enjoyed our visit and would love to come back. We have loved living in Santiago for lots of different reasons, but the food scene just hasn't been one of them. I can't say enough how much a relief it was to find this place on the internet, and then surprisingly truly enjoy it.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wouldn't visit again or recommend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Place really small, no decor as such, and had no ventilation, other than the door. I'm sure my clothes smell.

Saturday night and only 4 of the app 20 tables taken.

Superb selection of beers. Practically none of wines.

Service took our order and brought the drinks really quickly.

Even though there were very few customers our plates took easily 30 mins to arrive.

Plates were huge, and practically impossible to finish. (You're not gonna take cold fries home... and I hate to see so much food go to the trash.)

Fish was really fresh, not dry, and batter was crispy. Fries were of the frozen kind.

Fried fish is quite a tradition in Chile (think of "congrio frito" or "milanesas de merluza") so even though here it was well prepared it wasn't any kind of novelty.

I guess if you're a hungry rugby player or an oversized American you'll probably find it's good value for money, though.

Sorry to say that I simply cannot agree with the previous positive reviews.

Perhaps in summer...sitting outside... sharing the plate...

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Santiago, Region Metropolitana, Chile
“Best pub in town, ¡sin duda!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I came across The Black Rock traversing down Providencia one sunny afternoon. Upon my descent the pub's proprietor, Shane, welcomed me to his den and I was immediately struck by the sheer number of Chilean artisanal beers on stock. Most bars in the city offer the typical beers you would find anywhere, but none, absolutely nobody has the variety that Shane keeps readily available. Couple this with his signature fish and chips platter plus good conversation and good vibes from his staff makes this the best pub in town in my humble opinion. But don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great fish and chips& great people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

The staff are awesome, Portion sizes impressive. Prices standard for a bar in Santiago. A hidden gem really. Now we know where it is we will be back time and time again.