“Exceeded Expectations - Great Service” 4 of 5 stars

Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Santa Maria 1742, Santiago -, Chile   |
Ranked #78 of 179 Hotels in Santiago
Miami, Florida
“Exceeded Expectations - Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I stayed here during a business trip. I had stayed at this hotel several years ago and thought the service then could not be any better, yet they exceeded my expectations during this trip. The service was great! The room, had aged some since my last trip here and it could have used some minor renovations, but not a big deal to mention here. From arrival to check-out the hotel personnel made sure I was well taken care of. I dined at 'El Sid' alone, but the service they provided made me feel as if I was the only person there that night. This is particularly important when traveling on business, as you're already feeling bad about dining alone. I will definitely plan to stay here again when I am in Chile.

Room Tip: They have some newer rooms, see if you can ask them to put you in a renovated room. Early check-ins...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Miami-Ed,

I have read your post with great pleasure. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay, our staff and El Cid restaurant. I will share your comments with the staff involved.

I hope you come back soon.

My best regards,

Howie Brown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Denton, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Avoid room 539. Besides the normally faded appearance of all the guest rooms, this room had no working air conditioning, the water in the shower was either scalding hot or freezing cold, and the room still had a smell of cigarette smoke. The two twin beds were both uneven and you rolled one way or another. It's always hit or miss when you stay here..... spin the wheel and hope for the best.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from Chile. This hotel is sharing common areas with another wonderful hotel, San Cristobal Tower, where we stayed the first week of our stay. We subsequently passed two nights (with a week outside of Santiago in between) at the Sheraton. Sheraton, in comparison to its neighbor, was a great disappointment. The hallways and rooms themselves definitely require a facelift. Furniture and décor are outdated, many items are scratched. The toilet bowl is a joke as you have to close it and press hard on a very ancient nozzle to flush. Our first room contained a (washed out) bath robe and slippers; when we checked into our second room a week later, none of these items were to be found. We did not expect to see that for $200 US/night. The service was really substandard. I was rushing into a business meeting outside of the hotel and asked for an iron to be brought into the room. After many reminders and raising our voices, we finally got the iron, 40 minutes after it had been requested. The check-in was very long and tedious. On a positive note, we did not have any problems with requesting a late check-out. As I mentioned, it is difficult to determine which common areas are managed by which of the two hotels. We were generally happy with the service at the lobby bar and by the pool. The breakfast outside offered a great variety of really tasty options. We had dinner at the El Cid restaurant twice and were very happy with both the service and the quality of the food.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We arrived at the hotel at 4am, as we made the check in, the concierge, told us we had "smoking rooms", weird, since we requested NON smoker rooms. We asked to have the rooms changed but the concierge assured us we wouldn't even notice the smell, "because in this hotel, we take good care of our guests". Each of us went to their room: some had to change rooms due to the penetrating odor; I stayed in mine, because as soon as I went in, I was stupid enough to open the window to feel a bit of fresh air (after a long night trip, I needed some air). I unpacked my suitcase, closed the window and went to bed. That morning, I woke up with a terrible headache and a disgusting sense of smoke in my throat and nose, because YES, the smoke odor was impossible not to be scented!!!

The desk in my room was not steady, so every time I tried to type, the notebook trembled from the unbalanced glass from the desk.
I tried to take a conference call from the "Media Room", but it was impossible: the waiters were almost shouting at each other, the functional music was so loud it didn't allow me to listen to the conversation in my headphones... I asked a waiter for a coffee and a glass of water and I had to wait for over 20 minutes to have it delivered...

The "standard" rooms, are much more of a 2 star hotel, rather than what you could expect from a "Sheraton" category...

If I could choose, I wouldn't return to that hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Tam_Coata,

Thank you for your review about your last stay. It is very regrettable to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations.

One of the major purposes of the online reviews is the highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review and improve on for the future. We have shared your comments with our Housekepping, Front Office and Food & Beverage Managers so thay can take corrective actions.

Please feel free to contact me at my email: howie.brown@sheraton.com in case you would like to discuss this situation.

Cordially yours,

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I guess all good things come to an end. After 35 nights this year at Starwood Hotels, I finally ended up with a lemon. This Sheraton is definitely on my "Avoid" list. I had no idea until I did some research that although it was renovated in 2011, it was built in the 1970s.

The renovations apparently were to the lobby area, pool, restaurant, etc, because the Club Level Floor I was on, definitely was in need of another renovation.

The paint on the outside of the doors was worn, as was the paint in my room. I wasn't able to take a shower without soaking the floor in front of the toilet. There was mildew outside the shower as you can see in the pictures.

My clothes needed to be cleaned and ironed, so I paid the outrageous dry cleaning/laundry prices. The laundry is apparently handled in-house because my clothes were not professionally laundered and pressed. Also, each item had a tag on it that looked like someone cut up a pillow or old sheet, wrote my room number on it, and attached it to the BUTTON of my shirts. I was shocked that they attached the tag to the button, because it was easy to understand how a button could easily be broken. Well, sure enough.. in the next city, I popped a button on one of my shirts.

The staff was sort-of friendly, but only as I was leaving did they address my by my name. This is a Convention Center Sheraton, so they DO NOT honor Platinum late checkout. They actually told me they were not approving any late checkouts. When I reminded the desk agent I was a Platinum, he reminded me very quickly that I should read the fine print in the SPG rules. He was right, but to give NO one a late checkout tells me they just don't have enough staff.

The hotel itself is old. The furniture in my room was old, scratched, and out dated. Don't expect to be impressed with the breakfast, or afternoon/dinner reception. I walked in at 8PM on night and the girl working in the Club Lounge actually took away a plate of desserts before I could get to them. I was like she was going to eat them or take them home. The food was average at best. I definitely wouldn't pay for it.

After two nights I was able to move to the W, which was much nicer.

I recommend you avoid this hotel, especially if you are a Gold or Platinum with SPG. It's just not up to the Sheraton standard I'm used to seeing. They don't treat Platinum members as VIP. I had to ask for my upgrade and wait three hours for an upgraded room to become available, although I never saw more than two people in my hallway.

Lastly, the hotel taxi will charge between 5000 and 8000 pesos. I used a taxi in front of the hotel after being overcharged by the hotel taxi, and payed 2000 - 2500 pesos for the same trips.

Perth, australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I was there on business, my wife was there on holiday. From a business perspective the conference rooms were great, the staff attentive and the facilities wonderful. From a holiday perspective the hotel was superbly located for my wife to fall in love with Santiago. A short walk from Cerro San Cristobal (with the statue of the Madonna), the hop on hop off bus stops right outside for easy access to the entire town and a short taxi ride from the restaurants in Bellavista when you have exhausted the good fare in the hotel. If you are in a hurry, don't eat in the cafe, the hour wait for pasta was the only downside to a glorious week. When you have finished running around the city, the poolside bar was a wonderfullace to relax!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Peter C;

I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive comments about your stay. I enjoyed very much reading all details you wrote. I hope you & your wife come to Chile again and have the possibility to visit us. It would be my pleasure to have you here.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days for business. I loved it! The pool was great (freezing cold but great) the area around the pool had comfy lounge chairs. The rooms were great (I stayed in a starwood proffered room). The beds were so comfy and the rooms were clean and nice. I had a great view of the pool area and the mountains which I loved. The hotel staff was so friendly. The check in desk, concierge and the bar staff. All were friendly and helpful. I would stay at this hotel again! The breakfast buffet was really good with lots of choices. I had the buffet dinner one night and it was pretty good but I dont eat meat so I ate a lot of rice and potatoes and salad bar. But it was still good.

Room Tip: make sure you are a starwood member and book a starwood preferred room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Aloha1977:

Thank you for your commnets about your stay at our hotel.
I am very pleased to hear that our service and staff was very friendly and helpful for you.
The renovated areas like pool, restaurants and lobbybar have made a new look and feel to the property.

Hope you can visit us again.

My best regards,

Howie Brown

Been to Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!