“Comfortable hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 173 Hotels in Santiago
Memphis, TN
“Comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We spent 3 nights total at this hotel- two at the beginning and one at the end of our trip. As others have said, the hotel really needs a facelift. However, our executive suite was spacious and clean, the bed very comfortable. The club floor is totally worth it-great food and the most amazing concierge, Michael will take great care of you! All of the staff went out of their way to make our stay the best it could be-thanks!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We were on a Tauck Tour of South American which started in Santiago on Feb. 7. We booked an extra night at the beginning of our trip, so were there a total of 3 nights. The hotel is in need of a total renovation. Very tired looking and definitely not like any Ritz Carlton we've ever stayed in. Clearly there had been water damage in our room. The bathroom wallpaper was peeling off the walls and mold was visible. The shower was disgusting with mold and rust. The hotel needs work and I think it is below Tauck's standards and will let them know as well, but the coup de gras was when I had something stolen right off the counter in the bathroom. It was a manicure set, which someone might have thought was a wallet (which makes it even worse). I looked all over, thinking I was crazy, but eventually called the front desk to let them know it was there and now it wasn't. Within 10 minutes there was a maid knocking on the door, near tears. Since she was speaking a mile a minute in Spanish, I didn't know what she was saying. We asked the person at the front desk for his interpretation and he told us she said it had fallen in the waste basket, which would have been impossible, because there was no wastebasket in the bathroom. The only wastebasket was in the toilet room and it was the kind with a lid on it, which you push your foot on to open it. When we returned to the room that night there was a bottle of wine and a bunch of the candy they leave on your pillow with the Housekeeping Manager's card. Really, Ritz that's the best you could do? We were leaving the next day, so gave the wine to our guide who was very pleased. We, on the other hand, were not. We will also let Tauck know, this is unacceptable. We travel quite a bit and will stick with the Park Hyatt or Four Seasons, whenever possible.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
RCSTGO, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Santiago, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Mr. Randie Wolfe,

thank you so much for your time. It was a pleasure talking to you and I would like to apologize once again for the incovenience you experienced.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the The Ritz-Carlton, Santiago

Regards,

Renato de Oliveira
Hotel Manager
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The picture of the pool says it all. Its unique and has a nice outdoor sun deck.

Rooms are standard issue Ritz Carlton--nothing unique. This means quiet decor, botanical artwork, a great, super-comfy bed and good size bathroom with separate shower and soaking tub.

Club level is great with a good amount of food and good hours.

Room Tip: pay extra for the club level if you want to hang out most of the day at the hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Bellmore, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I was torn between 3 and 4 here, but I thought the amenitites in the hotel did not make up for the outdated room feel. I found the restaurants very good and the location was pretty good, though perhaps I would prefer the W with its location & restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Gmeir, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Santiago, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. I am very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations and would appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with you. Feedback is extremely important to us, and so if you could afford the time, i may be reached directly at 56 2 24708500.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sandra Estornell
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

The hotel is tired and old fashion. Felt like I was in a retirement village.
Most people have iPad and Wifi laptops but this seems to be lost on this hotel. WiFi only worked in the lobby and was expensive.
I now only search for hotels which have quality WiFi included. WiFi is essential for business, making bookings and of course lodging reviews on Tripadvisor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Gmeir, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Santiago, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Mr. James E,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. I am very sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations and would appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with you.
Feedback is extremely important to us, and so if you could afford the time, I may be reached directly at this number +56 2 24708500.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Sandra Estornell
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Recently I spent four night for business at the Ritz in Santiago. I had spent the previous two nights at the nearby W, and couldn't wait to get to a place with brighter lights and less music blaring in the elevators.

The Ritz is located in a very central and convenient part of Santiago, Las Condes. It has a very traditional lobby that is very clean and nice. What you expect from the Ritz.

As a Marriott Gold member, I was disappointed that I wasn't allowed access to the club lounge. That and breakfast would cost me an additional $125 per day. That is not a typo.

Upon checking into my room, I was pleased with the size of the room and the privacy the bathroom afforded. Having just left the W, a bathroom without windows into the room was welcome. The room, while spacious, wasn't very business friendly. The chair at the desk didn't have coasters or the ability to go up or down. That was an issue because the desk was incompatible with the height of the chair. I was forced to take a cushion from the furniture so I could sit at the table. I am 6' tall, so this wasn't due to my height. There was a plug to convert my US based plug, so that was a nice feature. However, the plug was below the level of the desk and couldn't easily be accessed. I was able to use another plug, so it wasn't that significant, but still, I use hotel rooms all the time for biz and this wasn't a great set-up.

One day, I left my room around 9 AM and returned at 1:15 PM and my room had yet to be cleaned. They came by to clean it and I decided to go to the lobby to work for an hour. There wasn't a single electrical outlet to be found. I asked for assistance and the person from the Ritz couldn't provide a place for me. Fortunately, the gentleman at the front desk allowed me to use the club lounge and that was a very nice gesture and really appreciated. There I was able to work easily.

The club lounge is big and spacious and offers up a large variety of food and beverages.

I had room service twice and the selection of food seemed pretty good, although, I am a vegetarian and almost always limited. The service was good and the people always friendly. They also have wine and beer in the room. The wine is more affordable than the beer.

One of the benefits I really liked was the car service available. They were MBZ and almost always available. The prices were reasonable and the drivers always very friendly.

There are also places you can walk nearby for dinner or drinks. While I visited the in-door pool on the top floor, I didn't use it. There is also a gym in the same area. There is also a small area outside the pool area to sun.

Overall, I liked this hotel better than the W, simply because it was more my style. The hotel could use an update to the networking capabilities and other minor areas, but still, a nice place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ghaxaq
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Regrettably we only stayed one night before going for a cruise. However I must say that the level of cleanliness, hospitality as well as service was second to none. The room was nice and spacious, with a comfortable bed which was very much appreciated after getting 3 flights to arrive from Europe. We also enjoyed having a couple of drinks at the restaurant and the breakfast was excellent. Would definitely stay again if I happen to be in Santiago once again

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Santiago? Share your experiences!