“Apalling. Low price = a siren call” 1 of 5 stars

You added Nuevo Horizonte Hostel to your Saves list
Nuevo Horizonte Hostel
Avenida Brasil, 723, Santiago, Chile   |
Ranked #62 of 334 Specialty Lodging in Santiago
“Apalling. Low price = a siren call”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Having hostelled my way around India for a month as well as staying in a handful of South American ones, I have to say this hostel is one of the worst I have ever experienced. Upon arrival at about midday, my group and I spent almost half an hour waiting for someone to come and answer the front door despite numerous rings of the doorbell and hammering on the door. The owner (who throughout the entire stay was sullen and rude) turned up eventually having only just got out of bed. At check in we were informed that we would have to pay the full amount of our stay upfront, something which we all felt incredibly uncomfortable doing. The hostel in general was filthy, with mould on all the bathroom walls and ceilings, dirt trampled into all the carpets, bathroom floors with toilet paper and hair all over them, sofas that were ripped etc. There was only one working shower between all the women in the hostel which fluctuated between scalding hot and freezing cold water despite our best efforts to regulate the temperature and toilet cubicles didn't lock properly. The sheets on the beds left dye on our clothing, we went an entire 24 hours without the toilet paper which had run out in the girls bathroom being replaced and upon arriving home one day we found that the (noisy) dog had pooed all over the living room floor (we had to inform the woman about it, god knows how long it had been there). As well as this, despite being advertised, there was no access to lockers unless you had bought your own padlock. The owner constantly had friends coming in and out and hanging out in the communal areas. Aside from the hostel itself, the area it was located in felt very unsafe and was very noisy. A friend had a mobile phone snatched from her pocket right outside the front door of the hostel as we were opening the door to go inside and after the incident, numerous locals who had gathered to help warned us that the area was renowned for being dangerous. Do not be fooled by the attractive price, pay slightly more and avoid complete lack of professionalism and security and hygiene issues.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Quilmes, Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I liked that hostel a lot, friendly staff, Pleasant atmosphere, I was like in my house great location. thanks, thanks, thanks, I'll return there!
Me gusto mucho ese parador mucho, personal amistoso, atmósfera agradable, yo era como en mi casa. gran localización. gracias, gracias, gracias, ¡Volveré allí!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

I really wanted to like this hostel, but unfortunately my experience was not a happy one. Firstly, the good points because there were some...
The location is good - Barrio Brasil is cool with some nice bars (and with a small good sushi cafe on the plaza.) The kitchen is well equipped and clean.
The bad points... I really wished I had read the reviews recently posted on hostelworld... The showers were ok, but could do with a proper spring clean. The ceilings in the showers were dirty with damp fungi type molluscs growing. Had to use the men's showers as the gas heaters were being temperamental in the women's. The 8 bed dorm was a decent size... There were no proper lockers but a chest of drawers with locks on which was fine. However, after the second night I found that my arms and shoulders had been bitten by bed bugs. Speaking to others staying in the room they had also been bitten. Having looked on hostelworld other people had been bitten recently. And on proper inspection of the sheets it was clear they had not been changed between guests. Furthermore during our stay the WiFi and internet connection was not working. The hostel is amongst the cheapest, so maybe you cannot expect much better... But bed bugs I was not banking on! Pay little more for a nicer hostel...

• Stayed November 2012
Santiago, Region Metropolitana, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here while waiting for a room to open up. For only $5.000 each night for the dorm with all the facilities you need ( kitchen, bike, living room to hang out) it is a great option if you need something simple with a warm atmosphere. The staff are helpful and run a very relaxed hostel, getting together with Santiago friends and travellers-so there are always people to meet whether you are passing through or will be living in Santiago.

Great location-just a few blocks from the plaza, bars, restaurants and cafes. There is no breakfast included but there is a great bakery right across the street or plenty of options nearby. Also 3 minutes to the grocery store.

A good option!

Room Tip: Dorms are the best deal if you want to get out and see things. Just claim your bed and get out to se...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

The Hostel Nuevo Horizonte is a really nice one, for young travelers who want to feel the atmosfere of Santiago and also a good place to meet some other travelers...
The most importent thing for me, was the help I got from the people who works there, they will do everything for you, only need to ask!

Very recomended!!!! super! and cheep!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Holon, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

I needed a place fast after a previous hostel didn't renew my stay even though I asked. After searching online, I found Nuevo Hrizonte to be the least expensive hostel available at 5000clp for a dorm bed. I found it well worth it.
Located on Brasil street, it's about a ten minutes walk to Plaza de Armas at my pace, and two blocks from the Santa Ana metro station, so not a bad location.
The staff is nice and helpful, plenty of conversation and hanging out in the evenings if you are interested, I was not.
The dorm room had 8 beds but had plenty of space. A large living room with TV/DVD; large dining room and a nice kitchen to use. Place is quite clean, so are the showers though not in a superb condition. I had an issue of no hot water in the male showers, even though the heater seemed to work. However it was not a problem as they immediately let me use the Female showers every-time.
The dorm is very close to the street, so traffic can be an issue especially if opening the windows. However I sleep with ear plugs and slept great my entire stay. The inner courtyard where all the people hangout is far enough from the dorm so noise from them is not a problem. There's also a roof terrace.
The only small issue is the lack of actual lockers in the room. There are drawers set up so you can lock them but they are tad small, so only for your valuables and bring your own padlock. The place is very secure in general, windows bars and a double locked main door. No breakfast, though considering what other places serve and charge 2000 more, I rather buy my own, eat better and spend less.
I stayed 6 nights and would have stayed longer if I didn't move to a private and then to the beach are.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Buenos Aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

Chile is suppose to be one of the most expensive countries on the continent, so I decided to do some research before I went. I prefer camping, but in big cities a youth hostel would be the obvious choice.

In Santiago, dorm beds seemed to be pretty much like in Buenos Aires, and far cheaper than in high season-Uruguay or Brazil. But since I was going for only five days, on a side trip from Argentina, I decided to spoil myself with single bedroom, which seemed to be both reasonably priced and plentiful. Sadly, the cheapest ones were all booked out, like always...

In the end, I found El Nuevo Horizonte Hostel. Available rooms. Cheapest in town. I didn´t know what to expect...

Turned out this was an old student house turned hostel. I was surprised to find my room spotless, with bright walls and free wi-fi, and a nice big bed with a duvet . Kitchen facilities were great. There was even a microwave. Hot showers, TV-room, bike rental and a great location made my stay perfect. Barrio Brasil, the hostel's neighbourhood, is by far my favourite part of Santiago; old, original, and with a bohemian feel to it. Great bars and restaurants.

The best with the hostel, however, was the staff. Lovely Evelyn received me in the reception, and invited me to a party on the spot, before I´d even signed in. Evelyn knows lots of both Chileans and foreigners working or studying in Santiago, which was great, as I was travelling alone.

There was a big supermarket only two blocks from the hostel, and continuing another block, a metro station. Central Santiago was only a few blocks further. The location made it unnecessary to waste money on taxies.

So in the end, much thanks to El Nuevo Horizonte Hostel, Santiago turned out to be a rather economical experience, despite its reputation.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Been to Nuevo Horizonte Hostel? Share your experiences!