“Delicious!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ozaki

Ozaki
Santa Beatriz 135 | Providencia, Santiago, Chile (Providencia)
Website
Neighborhood: Providencia
Columbus, Ohio
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I ate at Ozaki our first night in Santiago and loved it. Our food was delicious (I had a beef stir fry with lo mein noodles) and reasonably priced. The atmosphere is upscale yet relaxed. I'd recommend it.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

84% Recommend
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“Very creative Japanese - Peruvian fusion!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

In Providencia, you will find Ozaki, where second generation Japanese chef Juan Ozaki welcomes you, always friendly. Very unusual mixtures of Peruvian spices with fresh fish from Chile make up very good and creative dishes. Try any of the ceviches, and make sure you try the "pulpo al olivo" (Octupus with cream of olives). The chicharroncito over tacu tacu (a Peruvian rice and spices dish, topped with crunchy pork meat) is a dramatic experience. They just design a new menu with extensive cold and warm dishes to choose from but all with a creative touch. Do make reservations if you go on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This restaurant deserves a much higher ranking. It is outstanding and when I visited a few weeks ago with some friend, we though it was one of the best meals we had had in Santiago. We took advice from our waitress and we were not disappointed in any of the dishes. Everything was fresh and each dish was not only delicious but creative and beautifully presented. Give it a go and you will not be disappointed.

• Visited July 2012
“Great dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Excellent sushi and food. Very nice setting too. We were a party of 3, ordered 4 rolls and one main course and it was plenty of food. With a glass of wine and some delicious mango juice and strawberry juice, our total was US$ 110 tip included. Not cheap but it was worth the money spent.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santiago, Chile
“Below standards by all means”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Very seldom I do negative reviews. When I go to nice hotels and restaurants I take the time to congratulate them and write a comprehensive review, but when I go to bad places I just don't go again, period.

However after going to Ozaki and reading the reviews I felt it was my duty to share my opinion.

No, this is not the "best" sushi place in town like some people said. It could be among the worst I ever been.

The ceviche was not marinated on lemon but was actually floating on some sort of lemon soup. The fish was not fresh and the actual taste was something between salty and sweet. I couldn't tell exactly what was put into the preparation of this ceviche.

Then I went for the causas, which were supposed to be the star dish of the restaurant. First of all, real causas, from Peru, are supposed to have a filling (crab, meat, vegetables, etc). Here the didn't have any, so if I have to describe the flavor it would be none, zero, inexistent.

Then the fish that came with the causas clearly had been frozen for weeks. It felt like a shoe on my mouth and it had way too much salt, which actually is strange for a country, Chile, where usually they never put enough salt on the food.

On top of that it is an expensive place, which make things even worse.

In a nutshell, no, I wouldn't recommend this place at all. If you want to try good sushi or Nikei food (peruvian/japanese fusion) go for Zabo at Plaza Lastarria or the Osaka at the W Hotel.

• Visited June 2012