“great view from roof top pool” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Gen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Portugal 415, Santiago, Chile   |
Ranked #98 of 173 Hotels in Santiago
San Francisco, California
“great view from roof top pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

we had a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment with full kitchen it was great! very comfortable sadly we only were in Santiago for one night though, we were able to walk to the main towne area without any problems! The view from the roof top pool is great and the pool is beautiful just too cold this season for us to enjoy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We arrived into Santiago late and without a hotel reservation and we just stumbled on the Gen Suite hotel. I was delighted to find that our 'room' was a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment. The rooms were large, with double beds, cable TV and wifi - I enjoyed the experience so much that I stayed an extra night! Breakfast is served on the 25th floor, with views over the entire city. I thought that the staff were very friendly and I would definitely come back to this hotel. The only 'warning' I'd give to fellow travellers is that the hotel is eco-friendly and each room comes with a solar panel fitted on the balcony. The panel allows for 30 minutes of constant hot water and then you need to let the tank warm up again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
San Giorgio di Nogaro, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

nice hotel but bad service, not really well cleaned, not good breakfast and also the rom for breakfast seem dirty, tables without towels etc etc.
nice rooms, not good level the windows for high noise
not nice place in the city, the avenue is dark
generally the service is not good seem a 2 stars hotel.
more then one time service doesn't cleaned the rooms

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I read all comments however, I gave the hotel a chance to show me the real thing. Please, understand this is a very typical medium class hotel in a Hispanic country (being Hispanic myself, I know these things well). Usually north Americans / Canadians / Europeans have higher expectations.
but I have to say it, my experience was very positive. yes, location is a bit noisy, particularly at night. You are located in downtown, this is not ocean view Bahamas style, ok? You are very, very close to all the historical places without being right inside of it. Keep in mind the hotel isnt surrounded by magical landscape, it is a latin american capital city, where hospitals and universities, and hotels and markets all are mixed in a typical disorganized hispanic city. safety? of course is safe with caution. It is a capital, not your small north American town ( and I live in Canada, I can tell).
Room was very clean, room service never was a problem, I left money on the table, never lost a penny. Internet was quite awesome, in fact I was able to Skype with video with family and friends.
I am sure, there are some things that need improvements. Maybe kitchenette should be better equipped, and breakfast, although nice, could be improved.
But I have no complaints. The hotel was really full, and Chilean employees worked their best.
yes, I would recommend it. Plus, is someone had a particularly negative experience (it happens EVERYWHERE), he/she should contact the hotel instead of ranting right here.
Daniel from Canada.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Lakewood, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I reviewed all of the bad reviews for Gen Suites. Everything said is true. Kitchenettes they say. Sure, but you have no cups, no plates, no silverware. That's right, not even a cup for water. The condition of this very small unit and the hotel, the food, the neighborhood... All of those comments were true. One thing to add, I was unable to arrive on the first day of my trip from Mendoza due to weather over the Andes. The hotel would not budge on their policy of no refund. I was told a Miss Catalina Nieto would talk to me about it when I arrived. I was treated with indifference by the desk. I asked to speak to Miss Nieto who was there, and furthermore told the staff she would be right down to talk to me. I waited an hour for her in the lobby. She never showed up. Stay Away!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bogotá
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I previously had stayed in the La Sebastiana Suites (not in the center) and the Crowne Hotel which is just a few minutes away from the Gen Suites.

Although I saw different ratings of the GEN - from a very poor up to a excellent - I decided to stay here and see what´s going on.
I boked the hotel through expedia and payed aprox. USD 86/night including breakfast and wifi.

Here are my experiences:
Check-in was not very quick - as I had made my reservations just 3 hours ago, it took them some time to find it.
Normal check in is at 3pm; I arrived at 2pm but was given a room "for courtesy" which was on the 12th floor.
The hotel was clean and nice - the room large and functional: a nice LED TV; a large doublebed, a kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave and utilty sink; plus a water-boiler for preparing some coffee.

I was very surprised - also about the nice and clean decoration.

Internet had some connectivity problems - which were solved after they finally updated the router´s firmware in my appartment.

The appartment also had a small balcony - the view was "regular and normal for downtown santiago". Don´t expect to see too much green when looking out of your window.

The hotel is located a 10 minute walk away from a metro station; and 5-8 minutes from a santa isabel and a Unimarc Supermarket where you find a good variety of "what´s needed".

On the 25th floor, you find an exercise room - and an outdoor pool. Unfortunately it´s autumn there and a bit to cold for the pool.
The exercise room is basic - not really inviting - but OK if you like to work out.
A point which is making the difference, if you compare it e.g. to the IBIS.

Breakfast is also included: the breakfast room was very small and the food very limited (selection of 2 fruits; some breads; yoghurt, milk, coffed and some artificially tasting juice).

There has been some building work going on - in June the hotel will open a new area.
Besides the workers using the lift, the construction work has not affected my stay there any way.

Comments about a "not so safe area" can´t be supported:
Keep in mind that Santiago is a capital - and as in every capital you should be a bit careful.
I walked out at night - no problem at all.

The only "problem" I had, was to find a restaurant at Sunday night at 10 pm, because everything in Santiago seemed to be closed!
I finally ended up at a McD which was about a 20 minutes walk away from the hotel.

Resuming: centrally located; nice; clean; with some nice features like exercise room, kitchen - and good value for your $$$.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I was arranging lodging for 20+ people in this hotel so I was in permanent contact with the management staff. For doing business they were OK. Not too much of a hassle, but not proactive either. Once we got there, many people from my party encountered problems with their rooms ranging from already occupied rooms, to non-functioning TVs or ACs, to sharing a balcony with another room, to rooms without security safes, to restrooms with no fresh towels. Front desk staff (except for 2 guys) was not helpful at all or well prepared to handle a fully booked hotel. Also experienced problems with booking spa appointments, and during the two weeks we stayed there, the breakfast buffet never changed and it was basic and so-so.
Personally, I had to change rooms 3 times in 2 weeks. At some point, one of the rooms I stayed at had no security safe and guess what... yes, I was robbed. Granted I could have taken more precautions but I didn't leave my money on top of the nightstand either! When I found out I had been robbed $600 USD and some Chilean pesos, I reported it to the staff. They seemed very concerned and said it had never happened before and that they were going to investigate. They immediately offered to reimburse the money, but I suspect this was some sort of preferential treatment because I was bringing them business for more than USD $15K. After this ordeal and getting my money back, I changed rooms again and refrained from using maid and cleaning service until I checked out. Once I came back to the US I asked for the final bill and surprise! They were overcharging us for almost 5k. It took tens of emails back and forth until I announced that my organization's lawyer was going to start dealing with them because I could no longer handle such a technical issue (not my specialty). Apparently that was an effective deterrent because they immediately dropped the subject. Once I was sure the wire with the money was out, I notified them but never got a reply. In short, if you are going to stay at the hotel, make sure that your room has a safe and don't expect anything fancy. I am sure you can get better lodging for the same money in nearby areas.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Gen? Share your experiences!