“The only good thing about this Hotel is Osaka Restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Isidora Goyenechea 3000, Santiago 3000, Chile   |
Ranked #50 of 179 Hotels in Santiago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Florence, Italy
“The only good thing about this Hotel is Osaka Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Maybe I am not the right person to appreciate this type of Hotel. Don't get me wrong the hotel is great: the bars, the restaurants, everything! Great design but one thing is missing for me: the hotel that means service. As always in this type of hotel you have young and very goodlooking men and women working there. They love their earphones and mic and they all look like bodyguards or stage worker at a Broadway Show or at the Golden Globe awards. But when it comes to professionality and competence....it's another story... When I asked them where I could change as my room was not ready for check in they looked at me as if I were the first person having this type of need. At the end they sent me to the 21st floor but the elevators were out of service and they were like this for few hours (different elevators and alternatevely). I booked and I was confirmed in a smoking room and when I checked in they confirmed it but the room was not. The room is dark. As I said it's not the hotel fault it's mine because I am maybe too old and I start having problems with my eye sight in the dark. The safe did not work. I ordered dinner in the room: club sandwich with fries and caesar salad. The fries were uneatable (greasy), anchovies are supposed to be in the Nicoise (aren't they?) not in the Caesar and they were extremely salty. I was on a business trip and we booked a few rooms and a lunch for 15 pax at La Terrazza (nice food) I was the only one checking out immediately after the lunch so I asked if it would be possible to have a late check to change before going to the airport they agreed but only until 1.30 (in the middle of our lunch). So i took my bags and brought it to a colleague's room and when I got back to change after lunch the room was not serviced yet.
I wanted to put poor as an overall rating but I will put average because as I said it's my fault too in having chosen this type of hotel. We all know W and their target clientele so.... my fault. Las but not least OSAKA the peruvian/japanese restaurant is amazing!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Turkish first
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

This is the only W property in all of South America. It's got an amazing bar and pool at the top with views of the city. Rooms are also well up to W standards with an open shower I haven't seen at any other W. Overall the food choices and bar were were top notch as well. Also the gym is probably one of the best I've seen period although the sauna facilities are just ok. It's in the diplomatic neighbourhood with a very nice park right across the street.

I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about the service - my experience was very hospitable and professional with the exception of one incident. Yes it's true the chambremaids don't speak English... very similar to most American and Canadian hotels ;)
It's an expensive property though with daily rates in the US$400 range but definitely the place to stay if you have the means in Santiago.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
WSantiago, Guest Relations Manager at W Santiago, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Hi jurajil,
Thanks for the great feedback! We are so glad you had an incredible time with us! It is truly an amazing property!
Regards,
Natalia
W Insider
Sao Paulo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

On the first day of our stay, we went out for the day and when we arrived we discovered that our room hasn´t been serviced. We had to go to the reception to ask them to clean up the room. On the following days they never replaced the amenities, sometimes they did not replace some towels or glasses . We were two in the room and we had to share a glass for the hole stay !!! Some of the beverages wasn t replaced too , so we had to call the room service to replace them ...like water and coke. The were no bottle opener and de desk was all ruined because i believe all the guests uses it as the bottle opener. Even the sweet they used to leave by the bed in the afternoon sometimes there was only one ! No attention to the costumer at all. Also the hair dryer was really bad and was broken and we have to ask for an extra one. The broken one was left there all the time, i left with the impression that after our stay the extra one was going to be colected again and the next guest will have to use the broken one again. The concierge made some reservations for us , nome of them was left in the room , so every night we had to go dowstairs and ask someone to look up for the adresses and directions. One Night the concierge assistent gave us the wrong adress , in the other side of the town , we lost our dinner and US 50 in a taxi fee. Another night we went to the club inside the hotel and the concierge hasn´t done our reservation as we asked. The pool area is very nice with a very beatiful bar that works only at night??? so if you wantt a drink or something you have to call room service and wait.

Overall as all W hotels the design is nice, the neighborhood is very plesant with many restaurants, the lobby and room are beautiful. The room has a good size and a large bathroom . The breakfast was good and the food service overall was good.

The thing is, we have already stayed in many other W hotels like South Beach and Hong Kong and this one definitelly does not achieve the satandards of the others . So if you are looking for a design hotel , nice and clean ok , but if you wan something extra special this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello!
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. We regret that we didn´t meet your expectations and rest assure we will share these comments with the rest of the team.
We thank guest for taking their time in giving us this feedback as it helps us improve our product and service!
Please if you ever come back to Santiago we hope you give us a second chance to reverse this impression you left with us.
Regards,
Natalia
W Insider
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Rooms were well appointed and laid out but not overly large. Everything was high quality and the service was, overall, excellent. The front desk folks were so eager to please and provided us with everything we needed as the Concierge never seemed to be around. We loved the pool and bar on the 21st floor which had beautiful views and beautiful people- day and night! The hotel breakfast was abundant and had everything you could ask for. Dinner at Osaka was delicious and interesting & well above the usual hotel fare. The health club was the BEST I have ever seen at any hotel anywhere and its a MUST do! Overall, an awesome hotel for any reason you find yourself in Santiago.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for best views!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Nyerr,
Thank you for your great review!
I am sorry you never caught our concierge, as they are a great team.
Did you go to their desk on the first floor?
I hope you come back in the future and enjoy the W Santiago experience!
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I hosted a business dinner and exerienced all of the aspects of previous Trip Advisor reviews: A beautiful property (the view from the swimming pool is spectacular), a wonderful property in the midst of an upscale neighborhood, and non-existent service in the 4th floor lobby bar, with only slightly better service (should I say "inattentive"?) in the Noso restaurant. However--the food at NOSO was wonderfully prepared and the presentations were eye catching. I found the prices about average for a chain hotel--over priced by what can be found at good restaurants "on the street".

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

W Santiago is a very stylish hotel located in probably the nicest neighborhood of Santiago.
The rooms are modern and very spacious with a huge bathroom and comfortable beds.
The service was a bit of a let down considering the quality of the hotel, e.g. it took the concierge 20 minutes to organize a taxi. Moreover, the guys at the reception left quite an arrogant impression with us and didn't even find it necessary to explain the amenities of the property.
The bars on the 4th floor and roof top are very hip and seem to be hot spots for the nightlife in Santiago.
The roof top pool also looks great and offers magnificent views, too bad it had to be closed because of some sort of promotion for sunglasses when we wanted to use it.
This was the only hotel I stayed at in Argentina/Chile which didn't have free WiFi even though it was the most expensive (although there are some free internet stations next to the reception). On the other hand, the fitness centre is one of the best I have seen so far in any hotel and it was free of charge.
To sum it up, the W Santiago is an excellent and very hip hotel which should just have its service match the $400 that guests have to pay per night.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
WSantiago, Guest Relations Manager at W Santiago, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Hello MDMC,
Thank you for your review and comments! We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and we will definately pass on your comments to our Welcome Office team. Service is very important for us and this type of feedback is always appreciated.
Thanks again!
Natalia Castillo
W Insider & Quality Representative
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

All style of substance. It is two years since I last stayed here, and I know it will be off the list for a very long time. Service is slow at every level: bar, restaurant and concierge are all out to lunch and the housekeeping is poor. Given this hotel is located in the diplomatic district, there is barely anything other than Spanish spoken.

Nice views from the roof top, but that is insufficient to draw me back in.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to W Santiago? Share your experiences!