“A great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Casa Roja

You added La Casa Roja to your Saves list
La Casa Roja
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Agustinas 2113 | Barrio Brasil, Santiago 8340463, Chile   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #71 of 332 Specialty Lodging in Santiago
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“A great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

Casa Roja is a great place to stay. I ended up friends with some of the staff. There's tons of room and the lockers are spacious. If you need to get away from people, you can always find somewhere in the giant place to chill out by yourself. This is my go to place for Santiago.

The location is very central and the kitchen is fabulous. The owner is a former backpacker and takes travelers' comfort seriously. They've got a great, well kept back yard and a pool, two lounges and loads of space. It's a great place to take a load off after extensive traveling. I especially liked the little private toilets out back.

I'm sure it can get a bit crazy in the summer.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

liked the description and booked the double with bath room (number 8). It turned out to be a cell with only a window towards the patio. So you have choice: suffocate or risk being woken up at any hour of the night. The room is next door to the womens showers, where you ,ight hear ameircan girls showering at 4 am after a night out. And next to the patio, where you might overhear a drunken conversation at 6.30 in the moring.
All complaints were met with: "but it's a hostel". But 47 dollar for a room is not hostel prices. And I thought hostel meant being hosting.

• Stayed January 2011
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

We stayed here 3 times over December/January and were a little apprehensive because of its reputation as a party place: while we wanted somewhere social, that doesn't mean 4am binge drinking. However the lure of the lovely looking pool won over for my 7 year old daughter so we made a booking a requested very explicitly a quiet room. They seemed to have honored this as we were put in room 9 which is off a small internal courtyard and nice and quiet. In the two subsequent visits we were unable to get this room again and our rooms weren't as quiet but not particulary noisy either.
In conclusion regarding the noise- the only real issue was squeaky floors (really squeaky floors). However we were happy because the pool area made the place very friendly and social. Anytime i return to Chile in summer, I'm going back. However if I went in winter, I might try somewhere else, just for variety.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

I arrived in Chile for a two week trip and planned on travelling around a lot. I spent a few days in Pucon and then drove back up to Santiago with the intention of staying in La Casa Roja as I had seen it on the net and it looked pretty, fun and like you'd meet some cool people. All of this was true.

The first night my boyfriend and I had a private room, as it was such a busy time the next night we had to stay in a dorm. We were supposed to leave the next day, but we instantly fell in love with the place. We ended up staying there for over a week.
Dorms worked out at around €10 a night, and when we got the chance to stay in private rooms, that cost about €15 with a towel and breakfast included. All rooms were very clean, most beds were comfy except one.
I expected it to be quite a noisy place, but the only time that I found it too noisy was a Saturday night (but it's just because I was feeling sick and had to go to bed early, and I think I was a bit jealous that I couldn't be out enjoying myself until 6am). I heard Saturday nights are crazy there and it's true.

The pool is cleaned regularly and thoroughly (it's so warm at night time mmmm). The bedrooms are always clean.
The staff (who all speak english) are great, helpful and very funny (particularly Juan and Tania). The wifi is free and there's a computer room with free internet access. Breakfast is around €3 or something and the lady who makes it is a character, kept commenting on how pale my skin was until she realised I understood Spanish.
There's a car park next door to the hostel run by a man called Joe who has no english and seems to be permanently angry, but as you get to know him you find that he's actually quite hilarious, and I think he's just frustrated that nobody speaks spanish to him. So funny. And cheap parking by the way.
The bathrooms were fine, cleaned regularly, nothing special, permanent hot water :)
Also, it's not far from the city centre, which is cool because once you enter it you seem like you're so far from anything busy or stressful. WOW.
Did I mention there's an on-site Travel agency, beautician/hair-dresser, laundry service, board game borrowing, book swapping.... it's so KooL!

I wish I never had to leave, it was exactly what I needed from a holiday.
Relax. Have fun. Meet people (very funny group of Australians). Get a tan (summertime only I'm guessing)

La Casa Roja = Paradise
Can't wait to go back!!! :D

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

This hostel is set in an old building totally renovated: really nice! Swimming pool in the garden: really nice! Friendly staff and loads of fellow travellers: really nice! All in all, I really enjoyed myself in this hostel!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Almost all of the windows had cracks or holes so the freezing (skiing) weather came straight through. The dorms had no heating at all, I had to wear my thermals, pjs and ski jacket, plus 2 blankets to keep warm. The heating in the rest of the place kicked in at about 4am and then turned off at 7am.

The bathrooms were horrible. The people all kept to themselves.

It was very far to walk to the CBD and all the tourist spots.

Good value if staying in summer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Run by a lad from Perth who does everything in his power to make sure you enjoy Chile. The team will wisk you up to the ski fileds in the hostel's mini bus. Ski the amazing Andes. It really is to die for. Discount tickets for lifts, ski hire, etc.and even your own personal guide. Nothing is too much trouble for Simon and his team and you will soon feel very much at home in La Casa Roja. Just a short walk into the main square of Santiago centre and a 15min drive in their shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to La Casa Roja? Share your experiences!