“This place is not to be missed , highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pucon Kayak Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pucon
Pucon Kayak Hostel
You added Pucon Kayak Hostel to your Saves list
KM 10 Camino a Caburgua, Pucon 00000, Chile   |
Ranked #4 of 124 Specialty Lodging in Pucon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“This place is not to be missed , highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have to say that what made this a must destination for any paddlers or none paddlers is that it is an amazing place to stay . David the Hostel owner has made this such a delightful place . The staff would bend over backwards to help you. The food was totally YUM YUM.I was lucky enough to stay in one of the Domos which was in the woods near the river and was like nothing i had stayed in before and for a hostel incredibly comfortable. I loved the out door shower and being by the river where you could chill in the sun, ( look out for the tiny little humming birds and the florescent lizards )The river guides are inspirational and I came away from my stay there a stronger paddler in mind and body due to the positive experience of the people I met there. My fiends stayed in the main block commendation which is nicely decorated .
it is a little way out of town but there is a regular bus , but I got a lift with my thumb before the bus and I ant no cute little hottie.
Stop reading this and just go and see for your self
Thank you David , Jesse, and especially LT

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
JohnnieKayaker, Owner at Pucon Kayak Hostel, responded to this review, January 11, 2015
Super cool you got to experience and stay in the dome. My wife and I love the domes so much that we stay in one when we live here. I think more people should try them. Thanks for the compliments and we'd be enthusiastic to host you when you return to Pucon Chile.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pucon, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Great atmosphere, from the friendly staff through to the guests that this kind of place attracts.

Whether you are a kayaker or not you can appreciate the quiet, stunning setting by the river, and the efforts that have gone into making this place blend with its natural environment.
From the artistry that is the Quincho (communal dining/kitchen area) through to the magical outdoor forest shower.

Great place to relax, away from the hustle and bustle of Pucon.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Can't believe you actually stayed a full month. Super cool to have you around fishing and kayaking and making videos. Did your van survive? Did you sell it? Safe travels nomadic friend. We look forward to hosting you in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The good: Great Guides, great food, sweet pad, hot showers
The bad: No wifi, and inconveniently far from town (but it is right on the river).

Best thing about staying here (as a kayaker, on an organized trip) are the guides... I don't think you will get better guides in pucon. We had a mix of 4 different people people guiding us during our 9-day trip (2 were with us each day), all were native english speakers... and were more like advanced instructors than just guides getting you down the river in once piece. We had a group of 9, and having only 2 guides was at times a bit thin when we were on more challenging sections.... 3 would have been nice for such a group, but it worked out ok. Aside from portions of the day were we warmed up on the lower Trancurra, we didn't hit

If you're a non-kayaker you'll enjoy the woody ambiance and the mural decorated rooms. The place is very well maintained, clean, no trash. I noticed the lights didn't work very well in the bathrooms our first day there, and without even saying anything to the staff, the entire fixtures were entirely replaced. There's about 3 hammocks scattered around, they have boccee balls, a movable disc golf thingy, and a hang-out dome with a TV.

The food that was provided on our trip was great. Pizza night was the only night that didn't really knock my socks off... but BBQ night (twice!) more than made up for it -it was probably my best meal in chile. Also on the menu during were empenadas, pasta, stew, and a few other things that I don't remember the name of.

Office staff was very accommodating and helped us book a volcano climb for our off day.

Only real complaint is that there is no wifi. The hostel isn't walking distance from town (but thats because they want to be on the river), so getting to a wifi hotspot requires a bus ride. Also, I'm not a big fan of paying for my remainder of the trip in cash... I wish these guys would take credit cards (even if it meant an extra 1% fee or something)

Last thing was we had some confusion before our trip, we assume all of our meals were included in our trip price, but it turned out that breakfast was not... So that was a bit annoying at the start, but the hostel more than made up for it in other ways.

One more last thing... Doing a trip with these guys seemed kinda pricy compared to other international organized kayak trips i've done in the past... I quickly found out that chile is rather expensive compared to other spots in latin america, so it's not that Pucon kayak hostel is super expensvie, it's just that prices for most things down there aren't like what you would find in costa rica/ panama/ etc..

Room Tip: The wagons got a bit chilly at night, be sure to ask for a heater. The dome (yurt) rooms are super...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
JohnnieKayaker, Owner at Pucon Kayak Hostel, responded to this review, November 9, 2014
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with Pucon Kayak Hostel. I remember taking your group to paddle the Rio Fuy. Super fun day. And you guys going to the Palguin Race. That was a fun 11 days. Hope you come back next year. Keep Kayaking.
Trout Lake, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

The Pucon Kayak Hostel is a unique type of place with accommodations for outdoor enthusiasts or anyone that wants a unique experience traveling in the Pucon area. It is a great place to meet new people doing cool things.... and certainly does not feel like your typical hostel. Right on the river and close to downtown Pucon, this hostel has a lot to offer. Ideal for groups and of course... THE spot for whitewater kayakers.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff at PKH for any special needs.... great for groups!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
JohnnieKayaker, Owner at Pucon Kayak Hostel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you World Class Academy (high school) for choosing Pucon Kayak Hostel. As always it has been a pleasure to host your group of adventurists. Thank you for sharing your kind words and we look forward to seeing your return this March.
Keep Kayaking.
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

So this stay turned out a lot different then I planned for - only in a good way!

I live in Santiago and had a few days of for xmas. All my friends were going home for the holidays so i decided to visit Pucon on my own! I stumbled across David's hostel and the reviews and pics looked awesome so i booked it!
Little did I know it was a famous kayaking school (Should have done my homework really, but it was a rushed last minute trip).

The hostel itself is amazing ! Offering 3 different kinds of accommodation: Dorm, Dome and Gypsy wagon. I stayed in a dorm in order to meet more ppl - the dorm was amazing and was build kinda like a treehouse! Big, modern and with everything you'd need. And holy moly, you need to experience the amazing outdoor shower! It was like being naked out in nature - showering! All in all, great facilities and a short bus ride from town.
The food was yummy and filling too! You can get on their meal plan for 6000 pesos a day for lunch and dinner - pretty sweet deal! People were really social and there are activities every day!

Despite being a none-kayaker, I had a really good time and met loads of really interesting ppl! For xmas on the 24th of Dec. I was invited across the street for xmas dinner in the lovely home of Augustina who helps out at the hostel. And David took me sup-boarding down the river one of the days which was great fun and with amazing views!

I would 100% recommend this hostel and all their lovely ppl. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
So happy you got to experience the outdoor shower. Aren't they awesome. It was fun Stand Up Paddle boarding the Rio Tolten and having you for the Christmas Dinner. Hope you come back soon.
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

as a kayaker this hostel offered everything we were loking for. A range of different accomodations and prices, from camping to nicer rooms. The meals were great, a arge selection of boats, guiding and shuttles if you want. lots of other boaters to connect with. and a very friendly atmosphere. The staff are very helpful, friendly, and accomodating. We will definitely be going back there. It is easy to personalize your trip the way you want, from dirtbagging to all inclusive.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
JohnnieKayaker, Owner at Pucon Kayak Hostel, responded to this review, November 8, 2014
Thank you for your positive review of Pucon Kayak Hostel. Especially, for point out our adventure trip services for people other than kayakers. Happy you enjoyed your trip and stay at the hostel. We look forward to hosting you in the future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

The Pucon Kayak Hostel was amazing. The food, staff, and accommodations exceeded my expectations and if I ever make it back to Chile for another kayaking adventure I will not hesitate to book with this hostel.

Room Tip: I stayed in the more "dormitory" room accommodations since I was with a big group, but if...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I love coffee too and it is so hard to find good coffee in Chile. My friend who also owns the Black Forest Restaurant is starting a coffee bean roasterie. I hope it's good and we'll make sure to have it on hand at the hostel.
Glad you had a great experience with Pucon Kayak Hostel. We look forward to hosting you in the future.

Been to Pucon Kayak Hostel? Share your experiences!