“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Cliff

The Cliff
2 Bukit Manis Rd, Sentosa | The Singapore Resort and Spa Sentosa, Singapore 099891, Singapore
+65 6371 1425
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #912 of 7,088 restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Description: Designed by famed Japanese designer, Yasuhiro Koichi, The Cliff at The Singapore Resort and Spa Sentosa is a top restaurant in Singapore that sets new standards in the culinary arts. Perched on a cliff overlooking the South China Sea, it features a show kitchen, cascading water features and a split-level platform built over lush jungle. The Cliff restaurant is an alfresco haven for connoisseurs of exquisite food and fine wines.
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I have been a great fan of 'The Cliff' and loved to go there on very special occasions (given the astronomic price range)... these times are over since my last visit.

I've made a reservation months ahead to ensure we will have one of these nice tables on the lower veranda facing the ocean. Since I've made the reservation via phone and did not receive any confirmation I tried to confirm the reservation 1 day before. Unfortunately the number in the internet was not working so it was basically impossible to reach the restaurant. Neither was it possible to reach the Resort and maybe be put through. Of course no one called me either.

When we arrived we were told that the reservation was still valid but the entire lower deck was closed as a tree hit the glass roof... ok, unfortunate, but can happen. So we got a regular table.

I was looking forward to the oyster selection as a starter, which I also recommended to my girlfriend. I probably repeated 3 times to the waiter that we both would like to take this as a starter, i.e. 6 oysters each. As mains we ordered the barramundi and the grouper plus a bottle of white chardonnay.

The experience started when the waiter brought a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon... ok, can happen. Then we got our starter... or to be precise: one of them. I reminded the waiter that I ordered to portions. 5 mins later he comes back from the kitchen to tell me that they are out of oysters... we were the first customers and it was Saturday night.
Ok, I took the fish soup. No alternative to the oysters I had in memory. Probably an alternative to the oysters today. Because they were not particularly exciting. The toppings were dry and tasteless. 2 of them deep fried. Great. If I want deep friend I go to KFC.

The mains were tasty but very tiny but that's probably the way it has to be in places like these. Dessert was good. Nothing to complain about.

What I can complain about though is the service in the sense that we always had to remind the waiter to pour us wine or water. Also nothing you would expect in a restaurant of this price range.

All in all this was my last visit to 'The Cliff'. Don't get me wrong. I'm totally cool with imperfection - but not for this price. There are better alternatives in Singapore.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Surrey
“Beautiful setting, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The Cliff restaurant on the island of Sentosa is in a beautiful setting with tables overlooking the 'cliff' and around the rather lovely pool. You walk to it along a corridor of water which adds to the peaceful setting.

The food is delicious, well executed by an obviously dedicated chef. I particularly liked the scallops.

So why wasn't the restaurant full. Well I think that may be for 3 reasons:
1. They don't answer the phone - we had to call numerous times before the phone was picked up. We even tried calling the Sentosa Hotel (where the restaurant is located) but even when they transferred us the phone went unanswered - it was pure perseverance on our part that got the reservation.
2. The taxi drivers from the mainland don't know their way around Sentosa, so make sure you have Google maps ready.
3. The restaurant has recently been refurbished so some people may not realise it has re-opened.

Points 2 and 3 are not the fault of the restaurant but point 1 is. Until they rectify this I'm afraid we won't have the dedication to persevere again, so a chef who is certainly talented is sadly being let down by the front of house staff.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely setting and pretty good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I've eaten here several times over the last few years and always enjoyed it. However, I noted that at the beginning of this year the Tripadvisor reviews started to plummet, so I was a bit hesitant about coming back. Then the restaurant reappeared on Tripadvisor with a clean slate... I'm not sure if this means a change of management - I noted that the Spa is under new ownership and currently being renovated. So, time to try it again...
The restaurant is in a lovely setting on a covered verandah overlooking the pool with views through the trees out to sea, and the kitchen is in the middle with the chefs clearly visible through the large windows. There are overhead fans so the temperature is ideal for those who find the the aircon in most Singaporean restaurants a bit too strong.
There was a choice of tasting menus or a fairly short a la carte. I went for the trio of duck salad which was very good and the steamed snapper which was pretty good, although I thought the fish was marginally overcooked. My wife went for the duo of scallops and the Iberico pork and gave them similar ratings. I had a very nice souffle to finish and the chocolate concoction seemed to go down well too...
The service was generally pretty good, although it felt a little tentative at times.
Overall we had a very pleasant evening. The setting is lovely and the food was good enough to to justify a return visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Singapore
“Excellent food with a beautiful view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Excellent food quality with a beautiful view of the sea. Great for sunset viewing. Romatic place for the special occasions.

Melbourne, Australia
“Great evening to celebrate our 40th Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Beautiful food. It is fine dining so may be expensive just for a normal meal. But for a special occasion I would fully recommend.

Visited May 2014