“Go upstairs!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lagnaa...barefoot dining

Lagnaa...barefoot dining
6 Upper Dickson Rd, Singapore 207466, Singapore (Rochor)
+65 6296 1215
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Neighborhood: Rochor
“Go upstairs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

very nice restaurant with excellent food. The friendly staff make you feel at home and help you relax in the madness of little india. The upper floor is the best place, something different!

Singapore
“Dynamite Chili - But More Than That”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

From the moment hostess Kumari welcomed us into the restaurant - we were initially trying to figure out whether this was an all veg - we felt very much at ease and began to enjoy ourselves. The chili hotness rating chart immediately placed a challenge to me and thank goodness good sense prevailed and we settled for a #3 "Hotter (Chef can't - can you?!)". The food and presentation were well above what you would normally expect in Little India (usually meaning canteen style ambience and service). We'll be back - and will try to move up the chili hotness ladder!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Best Indian food in Singapore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is simply the best Indian food in Singapore. The owners are very friendly and always willing to give advice on the food selection. A perfect combination of spice levels from the most mild of tastes to the true fire eaters, this restaurant suits all.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Traveller's Trappings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Having lived in Singapore for over 20 years as an expatriate, I can honestly say I know what constitutes value for money. Singapore is a melting pot of cultures and food with prices as diverse as the experience.

My wife and I stopped off at Lagnaa this evening, partly enticed by the quirky ambiance (travelers are encouraged to pen their love for the restaurant on the wall tiles, or onto clothes pegs attached to one another on a clothes line) and partly because of the TripAdvisor recommendation adorning several wall spaces, including a huge poster at the back of the restaurant.

We ordered 1x Mutton Biryani and 1x Fish Biryani. After waiting over 40 minutes it arrived. The presentation was quaint, but having waited over half an hour we were swiftly tucking into the dishes.
The taste was good, and even for me, very spicy. Wanting to share my mutton biryani with my wife I dug to the bottom of the rice pot for more mutton, having had two small pieces already, I was presuming there would be more. To my astonishment, there wasn't any mutton left. In my eagerness to appease my hunger had I mistakenly eaten 4 or 5 pieces without noticing? No, I had not, that was it. 2 tiny morsels of mutton engulfed in rice. We were both quite upset. Yes we knew the price of $17 was much higher than what you would pay at Chat Masala (established Indian restaurant in stylish air-conditioned comfort) for example, but we were presuming the portions would warrant that price. How wrong we were.

We approached the restaurant manager who explained that the portions of mutton were weighed out, was this an excuse? or an apology of sorts? We simply said that $17 for two mere morsels of mutton was extortionate, yet it seemed to fall on deaf ears.

After receiving the bill another lady stepped forward and asked whether I had dug down deep enough into the bowl, which was a little condescending.

The bill included additional extortionate charges including $1.50 for pappadums- which had arrived at our table without our request - so you would presume it were complimentary and $2 for hot water which you would presume was also complimentary!

In an establishment where they pride themselves on their TripAdvisor ranking we were both upset and disappointed that Lagnaa had charged us for the main meal and even more so that they had charged us for warm water!

On their website Kaesvan the founder and head chef prides himself " ..in ensuring that everything is done to make your visit a delightful experience." I beg to differ, travellers beware!

A pathetic hole-in-the-wall

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Try something different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Made very welcome on our arrival . Our host spent time to explain the menu and purpose of the taste test regarding heat of the meal we about to order . The four of us ordered a selection of meals which we shared all very good , however the buttered chicken was a clear winner with two of the party . Good selection of beers and interesting deserts. Would recommend if you want to try something a little different. Not the biggest place, therefore probably advisable to book .

• Visited September 2013