“A good place to discover Indian food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lagnaa...barefoot dining

Lagnaa...barefoot dining
6 Upper Dickson Rd, Singapore 207466, Singapore (Rochor)
+6562961215
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #68 of 7,087 restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Private Dining
Neighborhood: Rochor
Singapore, Singapore
“A good place to discover Indian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We are already familiar with Indian food, especially in Singapore. The good point with this restaurant is that you can choose your spice level. One of the best butter naans I ever had, good paneer butter masala, great for vegetarians ! They also have a great choice of Indian beers. Next time we hope we will join the food tasting session! Staff is very friendly and speaks good English.
Sitting on the terrace is also cool, street is quiet and you can enjoy the street scenes.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice food, utterly spoilt by the service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have been to this restaurant 3 or 4 times, including a food tasting session.  On every occasion we have loved it apart from today. I did even write a review in the past but my opinions have changed.  My parents were staying in Singapore and we wanted to take them to Laagnas because of our past experiences.

We booked a table over the phone for upstairs in the barefoot dining area.  On every previous occasion Shanti has served us and I believe she is co-manager.  Tonight we were served by a gentleman who I believe to be the boss.  The staff here are very helpful, they like to tell you all about the food, which we have found to be really nice.  Previously we also loved how their spice chart system worked.  Tonight was a different experience.

We were given the drinks menu and I told the guy I normally have a Haywards 5000 strong beer ($12 each) but wondered what the other strong beers were like? He suggested I try a Godfather beer. I suggested we order 3 but he said it was better to order a bucket because it was cheaper. When our drinks came there were 3 different beers (only one being a Godfather). I asked the waiter (not the main guy) about this and he said all the drinks were of similar quality so we just decided to have them.  Later we noticed a bucket cost $44 but the 3 beers I initially wanted to order would have cost a total of $36, this was not cheaper.  It's only a small amount so we just left it but we did become more annoyed by this guy.

The main guy didn't really give us time to have a good look at the menu and he said he would bring us a chili sample dish so we could accurately select our spice level for our order.  We did wonder about whether this would be charged but actually thought that it was free! It looked nice so we ate it.  At no point were we asked if we wanted this and genuinely were made to feel that this was a service they did to help customers select the correct chili level.  It was such a tiny portion that surely it was not going to be charged?  We all selected our spice levels and informed the guy.

The guy came back to take our order and was very pushy in telling us what we should and shouldn't have. It was odd and we were all looking at each other wondering why he was telling us what to order in this way, not just being helpful but purposely telling us what we would like and not like! He actually told my mom "no you won't like that".  We all felt very awkward as he was far too quick to make selections for us.  We knew the food was good so genuinely felt that we should trust the guys recommendations and that he was making them in a kind manner.  After we chose a main dish each and a side dish each the guy said something I was taken aback by. He said that we needed to order something else because we didn't have enough food!  I said we would have another rice and he said "no, not carbs, you need to order 2 more main dishes".  This I found to be totally wrong, I said we had been before and felt fine with the portion size but he insisted we still ordered at least one small dish off the specials menu as a starter. We felt pressured into this and again, as we had been before we just ordered it and didn't really want to question him.  He said, this would be okay to start and we could order more later!!  At this point we then felt very awkward and suspicious of this guy. It was only now we started wondering about the way he encouraged us to have a beer bucket.  On a previous visit we then remembered how our food was brought out and moments later told that our spice level was wrong and if we wanted we could order some raita to help lower the spice level...was this a ploy just to get more money from us?? On that occasion I just ate my curry at the higher spice level and didn't think anything of it.

The food came and you can see the spice levels clearly because they put a small leaf sticking up per level.  However, the spice levels were all wrong compared to what we asked for.  Plus, two dishes of the same spice level tasted massively different in heat.  Again, we didn't want to say anything as the main dishes were decent despite the strange spice levels and we were all sharing anyway.  The guy had told us all the food was cooked fresh to order but our two rice dishes seemed cold and our naan bread was extremely dry which suggests to me that it was not made fresh.  You can go to the tekka center just outside Laagna and get amazing garlic naan bread made in a large bin in front of your eyes, why would anyone pay for Laagnas dry tasteless naan bread? Again, as we had been before and was treating my parents we didn't really want to complain.

We finished our food and at no point were we asked how our food was. The restaurant was not busy.  As we were upstairs there were no staff to ask to get the bill so we decided to go downstairs and get the bill.  On the bill we had been charged for the chili level sample starter dish (that was forced on us basically) and it was clear to see that the larger bucket was more expensive than the 3 beers I wanted to order.  I made our feelings very clear to him and to Shanti and he pretty much just told us that we can always say no.  He very cleverly worked us to achieve a slightly better order than we would have ordered on our own and we heard him being pushy with other customers.  Im sure if he does this to every table every night then the place will be making a larger profit. Yes, we could have said no but we felt obliged to follow his recommendations as we had been before.  We paid the total bill because the food was generally nice and at the end of the day we did eat/drink it all but anyone visiting this place should be vary carefully when ordering and checking the bill.  Don't expect loyalty as a returning customer and they clearly mislead customers into ordering more off the menu.

We won't return to Laagnas, which is a great shame because the food is generally pretty good. There are many good Indian food options in Singapore so won't miss it but we will not stand this sort of sneaky service.  My parents were stood waiting while I was discussing all this with the staff and the main guy who served us even approached them to ask if they had made a reservation, which just shows how much attention he was paying.  This guy spoilt the normally cheery atmosphere this place has and frustrated us to the point where even small negative issues became bigger. I guess it's one of those greedy places that just see so many rich expats paying for their bills without even looking.  If you want good Indian food with good honest service then I advise you don't go to Laagna Barefoot dining in Singapore.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Shunti, Manager at Lagnaa...barefoot dining, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for choosing Lagnaa & thank you for the 2 reviews you have given. One good & the other...
It's interesting how good intentions can be misinterpreted. I would like to share this poem at this point:

To live as gently as I can
To be, no matter where, a man,
To take what comes of good or ill
And cling to faith & honour still;
To do my best & let that stand
The record of my brain & hand.
A.G.Edgar

We take this opportunity to wish you & your family well.
“Something Different?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It does provide traditional barefoot dining. However, the service is not great, the food is average and the portions are small. The ambience is ok. I am not sure I would frequent this place.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Trieste, Italy
“The least authentic Indian restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I do not argue about the quality of food, but all the same be warned that everything costs twice as much as in other restaurants in Litte India. That's why I never saw local people sitting at this restaurant, just tourists.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Melbourne, Australia
“Friendly, Quality, Delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

More pricey than most of Little india, however it's made to order, authentic and top quality. The lady waiting on us was attentive and likable. Definitely recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere