“great steamboat restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Buffet
Wassenaar, The Netherlands
“great steamboat restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I have been a customer for the last 10 years and still enjoy very much the food and ambiance.Managers running the place on a daily basis are great despite having to cope with a changing staff.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

52% Recommend
Singapore
“Ok only”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

Visited this joint a couple of times. But there is nothing to really shout about. However, the chilli sauce is commendable and it goes well with the stea boat items. As for the price, guess its a bit on the high side considering its just raw food with no cooking skill involved. Atmosphere wise, nothing to shout about either, pretty normal.

By the way, the chilli sauce is pretty common when u have steam boat in Thailand. And the concept of Coca is also from thailand. Guess we can call it Thailand seafood.

• Visited October 2010
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Singapore
“Like Latex Glove Bits In Your Soup?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

If you like Latex Glove bits in your soup, then Coca is your place.

I have just had a most memorable night at the Coca Restaurant at the 2nd floor of the International Building, Orchard Road, Singapore.

The great thing about this place, is that they are totally unapologetic about their lack of hygiene and food safety.

The date is Thursday night, 18 June 2009, and the time about 9pm.

Half way through the meal, I scooped up some transparent plastic thing. I wasn't quite sure what it was. At first glance, it looked like the plastic wrapper that usually goes round a pair of new chopsticks, or that sort of plastic that seals a new drinking straw.

When I showed it to the Manager, he took it back to the kitchen, and then went on to do his business (not that great anyway tonight).

Upset at being ignored over this safety and hygiene matter, I called the manager again. This lanky young man came over, and explained that it was part of a latex glove that I had scooped up. Yes, he did offer his apologies, but that was all.

I wish to impress you, that this is not some roadside restaurant in Bangkok, or Guangdong. This is a place that charges SGD33 per head (around USD20 per head) for a steamboat buffet dinner.

Being the upset customer that I was, I asked the manager what is he prepared to do? I must be crazy, as, I was thinking that a restaurant of international repute and pricing, should do the right thing of waiving the whole bill.

Guess what the manager said?

(a) Free Dessert

(b) 20% off the bill

(c) I don't care even if you write to the Straits Times.

Well, you would be right if you guessed any of the 3.

When I demanded a satisfactory answer, his offer was free dessert.

HA HA HA HA.... Free dessert in a buffet dinner? What was he thinking?

I refused, and he said 20% discount.

HA HA HA HA HA again... if I can walk into Coca, surely I can foot the whole bill. What is 20%?

Simply, there is no system of hygiene, safety, and customer relationships.

Just a note though, if you like the chilli, you can go to Golden Mile Complex to buy in cans. There are better ones there, and they do not contain melted latex.

And yes, I would like to simply say YUCKS, but someone beat me to it. This time, I am quite happy someone had the upper hand over me.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I'll rather prepare my own steamboat.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

I'll rather prepare my own steamboat.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook