“Good food but ridiculosly priced with terrible service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Yet Con Restaurant

Yet Con Restaurant
25 Purvis Street, Singapore 188602, Singapore (Downtown Core)
Improve this listing
Ranked #2,585 of 7,254 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Downtown Core
“Good food but ridiculosly priced with terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Ordered Chicken, fish maw with cabbage, roast pork and small portion of internal organs n 3 drinks cost almost a hundred dollars. I love their rice and chilli with ginger and chicken was
above average. Poor service.
Feel thirsty after eating.

Wouldn't return again even though the food was quite gud.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Pasig, Philippines
“ok restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We went here because the old chinese guy driving the taxi we got the night before recommended the place, saying that this was traditional hainanese chicken rice at its best. The chicken was not exceptional, same with the rice. The sambal kangkong we ordered, however, was exceptionally delicious.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“A Terrible Rip Off Meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We first visited Yet Con two years ago. The service was poor, but the food was decent and the price reasonable. Therefore, on this visit to Singapore, we stopped by again. This time, the service is still poor, but the food has gone from okay to terrible. We ordered a whole Hainanese chicken, baby gailan, and a seafood vegetable dish along with lime juice and barley drink. The chicken tasted like twine and dry, and the portion does not look like a whole chicken. The seafood turned out to be fish maw. There were no prices on the menu, the old man up front just tally the amount. The bill came out to be S$80. We were shocked and appalled.

My brother-in-law heard our story and took us to Tian Tian in the East Coast to try the Hainanese chicken rice the next day, and we really became aware of how much we got ripped off by Yet Con. Tian Tian's chicken was smooth and delicious. The service was excellent, and the restaurant was clean and bright. The portion of the whole chicken was more than twice as much. We ordered more food, and the bill came out to be S$75.

Tian Tian also has a stall in the Maxwell Hawker Center if you cannot get to the East Coast. Definitely do not waste your money and time at Yet Con.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
““Yet Another Con” is right”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We visited this place in 2009 and at that time, it was a quaint experience as the quality of the place, essentially a neighborhood dive and the price matched. We went back recently and the place is still the same but the prices are 3 times higher than the last time we came. Basically, it has poor limited service, old and dated facility, and so so food, consistent with it being a dive restaurant. The state of the kitchen and bathroom cleanliness are somewhat alarming. So we ordered a whole chicken with rice (which appeared to be only a half chicken), a vegetable, and a fish maw stir fry, with 5 non-alcoholic drinks and the bill came out to 80 SGD, which is outrageously expensive for what you get. The food overall is of below average quality. We do not plan to return to this place. Tian Tian is a much better place for Hainanese chicken rice. If you want to avoid the lines at Maxwell's hawker area, go to one of their restaurants.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Worst meal in Singapore!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and were staying near the City Hall MRT stop and wanted to try Singapore's National Dish - chicken rice. I had heard of some other great chicken rice restaurants near Chinatown, but wanted to try somewhere close by first. My husband and I each ordered chicken rice with lime juice as our drink. They brought us a spoon and fork, but I soon realized that everyone else in the restaurant had chopsticks. I assume that they believed that we couldn't use chopsticks as we are Americans, however my husband I live in Chicago, and frequent Asian restaurants for sushi, Thai food, etc.. I decided to let it go as I could tell that the staff spoke very little English. We used the sauces on the table, and did our best to figure out the best way to eat the dish. In the middle of our meal, one of the men working there came and took all of the sauces away from our table to a man at another table without even blinking an eye. I became very upset because there were empty tables from where he could have taken the sauces, but decided to take ours. I waited to see if he was going to bring them back but didn't. I finally got up and asked him to being the sauces back. He appeared to understand me and complied. We finished our very sub-par meal, paid the cashier and left. Very sad chicken rice experience.

• Visited August 2013