“My first time at a Japanese Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #391 of 7,410 Restaurants in Singapore
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Darlington, United Kingdom
“My first time at a Japanese Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Ikoi restaurant is situated in the lobby of the Miramar hotel in downtown Singapore. I went with some friends of mine who had been before which not having eaten Japanese food before was a little reassuring. However when we arrived and eventually got a seat (it was absolutely stacked) the waitress very kindly took over and ordered for us. She bought beautifully prepared raw fish. Soup, chicken, cooked fish, bacon, tempura prawns etc, etc served with a variety of sauces, mustard and vinegar accompanied by green tea and I can honestly say I was more than surprised by just how much I enjoyed my first Japanese food eating experience. Very tasty, very satisfying and very different.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Singapore, Singapore
“Great value buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I found Ikoi on Trip Advisor after looking for good restaurants in my neighbourhood. I was surprised to find out that it was actually an all-you-can-eat buffet. The place was pretty crowded, but there was no wait for seats. It had a good friendly atmosphere. All of the food was of a pretty good standard. The only gripe would be the waiting time between orders. But overall I was happy. For the price, I definitely recommend the buffet.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Singapore
“BEST JAPANESE RESTAURANT IN SINGAPORE!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

If you love Japanese cuisine you MUST visit IKOI restaurant located at the ground floor of the Miramar Hotel. Owners Charlie and Judy together with their attentive staff will welcome you on arrival and make you feel right at home. My family and I have been to IKOI on numerous occasions and they never fail to produce the best food and service each time! Freshest sashimi, sushi, hand rolls, teriyaki n tempura items, and many more delicious eats are offered non stop. Reservations at least 1 week ahead are recommended especially on weekends, though they will do their best to accommodate. Great food great value great service! Keep up the fabulous work IKOI!

Ida Fred and the Ong family

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Very disappointed. Never going back.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I was a huge fan of Ikoi Japanese Buffet and have recommended the place to many friends and relatives over the years. However, I was extremely unhappy with the my experience when I brought my whole family for a treat. I had been raving about the sashimi offered in the buffet to my parents and it was the first time they visited although I personally have been patronizing the shop frequently for years.

First of all, the waitresses took literally hours to serve us. Because we were having a celebration and we had such high hopes for the buffet (due to my incessant raving about it), my family was early for lunch. Being the first few to enter the restaurant, we naturally found it ridiculous that, after an hour, our table was still empty save for the few complimentary dishes served. We had placed orders for sashimi and tempura and other dishes but these were nowhere to be found despite having waited for very long.

Secondly, the service was terrible. It is understandable if there was a slip up and our order was missed. However, we made repeated requests for the waitresses to check on our orders and they very unhappily granted an "orh" and went on our way, completely ignoring our plea. Then there were the tea ladies that you hire. One girl was extremely ridiculous and she completely refused to help check on our missing orders. We understand that they are "tea ladies" and have no authority to take orders. However, surely they can call their appropriate superiors or colleagues to rectify the issue?

In sum, we sat there from 1130am to 2pm, and our table was empty pretty much most of the time. It was only after we repeatedly called the waitresses to check on our orders that it finally came at 2pm. Ikoi is famed for its sashimi and we, too, went mainly for the sashimi. Hence, we find it ridiculous that we only managed to place two servings of sashimi for a buffet. We understand that it may take time to prepare food. However, it was not very crowded yesterday and there was more than enough time to prepare the sashimi. Buffets attract crowds because they are led to believe they can eat more. However, we were only served twice and might as well have gone to a cheaper ala carte alternative.

Having been a frequent supporter of Ikoi, I wrote in to Ikoi in Oct 2012 to share my disappointment but they did not even bother to reply (it has been 3 months). They evidently don't give two hoots if customers (old or new) are unhappy.

Altogether, it is really not worth the money to spend 2+ hours waiting for 2 plates of sashimi at the high price. I lost my favourite jap buffet place, but never will I go back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Antwerp, Belgium
“Book in advance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

You would never expect a bustling place like this inside a hotel. Friendly service and delicious food (I had the salmon terriyaki). Regarding previous reviews: yes, service might be a little slow if you don't take the buffet. Yes, small tables, so if you want privacy, stay in your room. And yes, book in advance.

• Visited November 2012