“A bit over the top, but I liked it” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Enjoy up to 50% off
Ranked #25 of 291 hotels in Singapore
asia
“A bit over the top, but I liked it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

Stayed at the St Regis last Oct 2008. It's the most expensive hotel in Singapore today, I usually stay at the Millenia Ritz Carlton but I wanted to try St Regis just once since it's the first luxury hotel in Singapore in more than 10yrs. Stayed there 2 nights. Hotel is located in the Orchard Road area, a few steps from the Shangri-la, shops like Isetann, Wheelock Place w/ Borders, Zara, Hermes are just 5 minutes' walk. Check-in was smooth and quite solicitious. Didn't have to wait at all. Was introduced to my very own private butler (on call anytime 24hours although I never did call him), who takes about 10 minutes describing every nook & cranny of the room. He offered to unpack my bags, but I felt uncomfortable with that. It was a bit awkward since he was so insistent in doing something for me, so just gave him a dress to press (free!). Also awkward since I wasn't sure if I was supposed to tip him & how much so I ended up giving SGD10 since we were just standing there.

The room is very comfortable. Glamorous old-style, opulent feel, but definitely has all the bells and whistles (Boss speakers, huge flat screen tv, different mood lighting, electronic curtain). Comfy bed, sheets of great quality. What I love most is that the sheets, comforter, bed cover and even carpet were very new/clean (I sometimes freak out when I see a tiny stain on the carpet or bedcover, enough to ruin my stay).

Loved the bathroom, with the standalone bathtub in the middle and a 12" flat screen tv in front of the tub. Ritz Carlton's bathrooms were supposedly the world's sexiest (bathtub by the big window overlooking the city/marina), but the St Regis bathrooms are better since they are newer and you just know they spent more money for it, despite lack of a view/window. There's a separate stall for shower, toilet, clothes, two sinks separated by the bathtub. A big plus- they have regular sized Remede products in the bathroom, not those generic hotel-issued ones. I loved these!! I thought that alone made the high rate worth it.

Breakfast at the lobby lounge - size not too big, so the place feels more private/exclusive, overlooking the fountains. Breakfast selection was quite disappointing though for the price I was paying, just mostly cold cuts & cereal. Ala carte menu for breakfast also limited. Not impressed. I didn't try their Sunday brunch though, so that might be better as Sunday brunch is a big thing among the hotels in Singapore.

Remede Spa - I think this is the first in Asia, massage expensive (as all 5-star hotels are) but just wanted to give it a try. It was ok but for the price I would go somewhere else.

I usually stay at the Ritz, and I am so used to it (especially love the high, comfy bed w/ fantastic sheets, also the wooden floors in the bedroom since I hate carpeted rooms) and I miss the views, sleeping with the city lights below you and waking up with the view of the marina. But the Ritz is starting to show it's age in some parts of the room. Overall, I love the St Regis. It's new, probably the best Singapore has so far, stay here if you have the money to burn.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo

1,132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Europe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

The St Regis is probably the best hotel proposal in Singapore right now. Rooms are great as soon as you learn to understand the high tech side of things. Staff is amazinly efficient, knowledgable and pleasant, service absolutely second to none. The butlers will ensure that even the most difficult requests are met, in no time. Concierges are amongst the best ever. Unfortunately the spa is pretentious and totally fake, to be avoided, there are plenty real, no nonsence, very good ones within walking distance.

Stayed January 2009
new york, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

This St. Regis Singapore has it together! The rooms are spectacular, clean, and comfy! The staff went above and beyond for us in every way possible. The concierge was extremely knowledgeable and sent us to fantastic local restaurants! Make sure to get a Kaya Toast when you are in Singapore! It is a local favorite!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles/Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

I absolutely loved the service of the hotel. It is a new hotel, perhaps less than 1 year old since grand opening, a little over a year if counting soft opening. I hope they can keep the service at this level over the years.

As soon as I got off the cab, they got my bags, and the receptionist sent me up to the room where a butler was waiting for me. As soon as got in the room, my bags, was there and the butler explained the room various switches and remotes.

The room was a suite, and it was nice. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of ventilation. My friend smoked in the smoking room, and the smell of cigarette was still evident for a couple of days.

I also had problems with the dvd player, which an engineering staff came and fixed it.

But overall, it was a Beautiful room, clean and very comfortable.

Again, nice room, great service. Keep it up.

• Liked — Excellent Service
  • Disliked — Lack of ventilation, some equipment did not work. i.e. dvd player, lcd in the bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2008
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

We stayed at the St Regis in January 2009 with our two children (aged 8 and 10) in connecting Grand Rooms. Overall, it was an excellent experience and one that means we will return to the St Regis instead of the Shangri-la Valley Wing (where we had stayed just prior to this stay at the St Regis).

The rooms are easily the best in Singapore - although the decor appears a little quirky from the website photos, in real life, the combination works and you instantly get the feeling of luxury and warmth from the room. They are very generous in size, the quality of the fittings and bedding is exceptional and no expense has been spared in pulling it all together.

The electronics (tv, lighting, drapes, telephone, broadband - wireless in room etc) are all cutting edge. Of these, the lights (smart wired - eg 'movie', 'reading' etc) are the least value add and take some getting used to. The telephone is a VOIP handset with lcd screen icons etc and so just getting room service is an adventure in touch screen technology in itself (I use these phones at work and so I had a head start, but still saw this as an example of how an effort to install the 'best' can be counter-productive).

The tv (a 42 inch lcd) was very good, with a good selection of movies - the kids loved it. The room also had a built in surround sound Bose music system which was playing jazz when we arrived - a nice touch and was used by us more than we expected.

The room comes with a butler service, which is quite helpful - especially when you come to iron a shirt - as there is no iron in the room - just make sure you plan ahead as a 40 minute wait for a shirt at busy times can impede the best laid plans...

When we arrived, we asked for the room rate to build in breakfast - which cost us an extra $30 per room per day, but this was far preferable to paying for breakfast at the standard rate. As for the breakfast offering, this was probably the only let down. The fruit display was outstanding, the espresso coffees good (especially for Singapore), but the hot meals were relatively ordinary - my eggs benedict were lukewarm, hard in the middle and uninspiring. As there is only one restaurant available for breakfast, it can also be quite busy and a short wait in the Drawing Room is not unusual. This is where the St Regis can learn from the Shangri-la where breakfast at The Line cafe is extraordinarily good and very memorable.

We also had in-room dining - I can highly recommend the curry and local food options. The butler was also very prompt in removing the dining trolley without fuss.

We also used the gym daily - it has the latest Technogym equipment which must have cost a small fortune. The attendant was very friendly and attentive and the whole experience very very good. If you are a gym user, this an A experience.

All in all, we would not hesitate to stay at the St Regis again. It cots us about 30% less than our recent stay at the Shangri-la Valley Wing and was more enjoyable (though the service at the Shangri-la is extraordinary).

• Liked — The whole experience
  • Disliked — The breakfast offering
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

Amazing hotel. My husband and I enjoyed five nights at this fantastic 5-star hotel. Staff show exceptional hospitality. The rooms are small, but comfortably arranged with entry way, sitting area, and beautiful decor. Technology surrounds you with 2 flat screen TV's, jazz playing on the CD player and electrical adapters. Drapes and lights are altered via a control panel. The bathroom has a deep tub and the shower has multiple heads and a mirror on one wall. A butler is standing by to bring a beverage of your choice day or night. Nightly turn down service included fresh fruit and chocolates. They surprised us with a custom cake and champagne for my birthday celebration. Use of the spa is included with the room cost. Shopping, restaurants, and the botanical garden are all within walking distance.

• Liked — excellent customer service
  • Disliked — price tag
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

I’ve stayed here for +/- 15 nights over a one month period (November) whilst moving house and I can’t say anything other than that I was not sure I was happy once I found a new place. What a fantastic hotel with superb staff and service. This is in my opinion the best you can get in Singapore at the moment. I have stayed at the Fullerton and Ritz Carlton before and had dinner/brunch at many more 5* hotels, but the St. Regis definitely beats them all!

Rooms: beautifully furnished and complete with all of today’s luxuries/requirements. The flat screen TV comes complete with Bose sound system and off course there is a DVD player. The bed is truly wonderful (I have to find out where I can buy one myself) and the sheets and linen are of fantastic crisp quality. It was difficult for me to get out of bed every time! The bathroom is stunning with a free standing tub and built-in flat screen TV in the facing mirror and a marble shower with full length heated mirrors. Naturally there are plenty of towels and the likes and toiletries are of the highest quality (if you stay in a suite you even get a nice face wash ).

F&B: I have only tried Les Saveurs and can’t comment on the other restaurants although I did notice the Mediterranean restaurant was mostly empty at night. At Les Saveurs the b-fast is just right. I am not a big fan of huge buffets where everything is always of mediocre quality and towards the end it looks like a bunch of starved soldiers paid it a visit. At St. Regis there is a decent buffet with high quality produce, such as nice fresh fruits and berries, good breads and pastries, some cold cuts and smoked salmon and off course orange juice etc. Other (hot) b-fast items, such as omelets/pancakes/full English etc., can be ordered à la carte and are included in the price. For dinner the restaurant is ok, not special. I had one dinner that was great when there was a visiting chef but the other time is was just ok. Not really worth the price if you know what else is out there in Singapore. The wine list is really good and the sommelier is a very nice chap that knows his wines. Last but not least; Sunday brunch is a clear winner again. Every 5* property in SG tries to lure you with their all-inclusive Sunday champagne brunches but the St. Regis really does the job. It is a mix of buffet and à la carte and they also walk around with “bite size” delicacies such as caviar, foi gras etc. The whole setup makes for a much more pleasant experience where you can really enjoy the company of your other diners as well.

Service; what you would expect from a top 5* hotel. Everyone goes out of their way to make you feel at home. The butler service is nice and so is the complementary tea and coffee service.

Others: Spa is beautiful (I did not try any treatments so can’t comment) and the steam bath/sauna is great to relax. Every evening there is a small complementary wine tasting which is enjoyable but nothing more. I found the wines quite ordinary and would have expected slightly better quality wines.

• Liked — The rooms and the view over the city.
  • Disliked — Location on Orchard rd.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The St. Regis Singapore? Share your experiences!