“Period grandeur with modern conveniences and bespoke service” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Enjoy Up To 20% Off
Ranked #30 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Period grandeur with modern conveniences and bespoke service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Classy and tasteful decor. Room was good-sized, though view was only of Tanglin Road. Service was good eg instead of the usual beverage packets in your room to make your own tea with, here, you call the butler and he comes with it made and served on a nice tray. Doormen also auto offered umbrellas on our way out for shopping on cloudy days. Bathroom comes with state-of-the-art tech ie tv in the mirror for you to watch while soaking in bath. While we knew beforehand the distance to the shopping belt, it was still hard to reconcile to the actual walking; a tad far from the main Orchard area. Needed to take a bus out but hard to take one back as the road flanking hotel is 1-way, so return alighting point is way behind or needed to take the only 1 or 2 buses that made the u-turn to the side road of hotel. Didn't try any restaurants in hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012 via mobile

I have always live the st regis singapore a suburb hotel with an eclectic collection of art and beautifully finished , very amazing location great location F and Beverages a bit pricey but ok far from reasonable mind you. Forecourt service good arrival and departure , checking personal efficient , private, conceirge very accommodating I go here every trip to singapore if not for the entire stay at least for a few nights start and finish for the Luxury.

Stayed July 2011
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Initially impressed by the service until I actually tried to get them to do something. Ordered breakfast at 7am, nothing came and nobody seems to know what time it's going to come. Calls to the so called butler and room service were passed around with no follow up. Extremely dissapointed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
SRSManagement, Public Relations Manager at The St. Regis Singapore, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear FriendlyLion,

Thank you for your review.

I apologise that your room service took longer than usual to arrive at your room, and that there was a lapse in communication to you regarding the length of waiting time.

It is certainly not expected of us, and I regret that this was your experience. I do hope you will pardon us, and that on your return, you will be delighted by an improved level of personalised service.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I was expecting to be wowed with such a luxury brand and when you get to the hotel you really feel the luxury and style. The lobby is impressive and the quality of furnishing throughout is top notch. As a platinum member I was expecting a special check-in desk but there was none. However I did not need to wait much.

I asked for the Butler service as it is advertised and they make such a fuss about this, however, and despite my platinum status I got no Butler. The front desk personnel were lost as nobody was answering their calls. It was Saturday afternoon and there was no Butler to be seen. Eventually he appeared unexpectedly in my room one hour later and I was already unpacked so I sent him packing (if you pardon the pun!). So I cannot comment on this service other than I have the feeling that not getting this service is quite normal. It feels like they are under-staffed and for such an expensive hotel this is not good.

In the evening while I was going back to my room and was alone in the elevator, a porter entered with a huge trolley packed with over 10 suitcases. He almost crushed me in the elevator and I felt this was completely wrong. Why would they send trolleys with guests as opposed to using a service elevator? I noticed they were hogging 2 elevators with trolleys and they were not paying any attention to all other guests trying to get into them. It felt like a 3 star hotel at an airport and for over $500 for a standard room this is unacceptable. I brought this to the attention of the Duty Manager who, besides saying how sorry they were, she did not give any explanation regarding why they are using guests elevators instead of service elevators for luggage. She looked puzzled like this was the norm and natural to squeeze guests and trolleys in an elevator and at the same time (not even waiting for the next one)

I noticed that all the Staff were very young and they looked also very inexperienced which would explain part of this, but it does not explain that a luxury brand like St. Regis would treat guests like this.

The double room was very nice with a superb bathroom full of marble and luxury furnishings. Great looking classic lamps throughout and all in all looking expensive. Only issue that I can say about the room is that you need an engineering degree and loads of patience to manage the control panel for the lights, curtains and the rest. I could not turn off the lights at night. and finally had to go to the entrance and switch off the master control. Reading other reviews at Tripadvisor I can see other people experienced the same. They should have someone coming with you to your room to explain it all, but as explained before no Butler and not even a porter helped me with this.

All in all, very underwhelmed by the St. Regis.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear D0nTravel,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review.

Foremost, I do apologise that your experience during your recent stay with us fell short of your expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with our Duty Manager regarding your stay. It is indeed regretful to hear of your feedback on our porters using the guest lifts for the transportation of luggage.

Please let me assure you that usual practice is to use the service elevator, however given the high occupancy and number of guests checking in at the time, we thought it best to provide their luggage expeditiously, for those anxious to receive their belongings and settle into their rooms.

Our guests’ comfort is always our foremost priority, and if and when using guest lifts for luggage is necessary, our porters always practice letting our guests use the elevators first, and waiting for the next free elevator. I do apologise if this was the not the case during this instance, and have reviewed this internally to ensure this continues to be the standard.

Thank you for your feedback, and we do endeavour to continually refine our standards, we have raised your comments for internal review. We thank you for choosing to stay with us, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our address in the near future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Not a bad place ...3 hotels generally in singapore are considered the best:- mandarin oriental, raffles and st.regis....i would rate st.regis higher than the other 2 and yes, some people might find it shocking that i am rating it higher than the iconic Raffles.....reasons are simple...the st.regis butler service is one of the best I have seen.....raffles has history on its side but it becomes too much of history if you have to watch TV on a 1960s era small Hitachi TV in the Raffles vis a vis all the uptodate modern facilities of the St.Regis...this hotel also overshadows the Mandarin Oriental whose room service food was amongst the worst i have ever had..overall, i would highly recommend the hotel to the business traveller//....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Last year when I stayed at the St Regis I really liked the hotel. This time I wasn't so sure.

On the positive side, the hotel is well located with large comfortable rooms and impressive public spaces. The standard of fittings in the rooms is extremely high. The brasserie (in fact more like a smart French restaurant than a brasserie) is excellent and the wine list especially good.

But the experience of staying there as a guest was very mixed. Check in was chaotic. As the electronics in the rooms are surprisingly complicated to operate (I still had not mastered the lights after two days staying in the hotel and despite the help of three pages of notes on "Technology and Telephone" in the directory of services), it would be better to show guests to the rooms rather than just directing them from the lobby. A request for a soft feather pillow was followed by a long wait and then the delivery of a hard foam pillow. The restaurant was full at breakfast this morning and so I was asked to sit in "the Drawing Room" (part of the lobby) to eat breakfast. The breakfast buffet was crowded and poorly laid out. Unfortunately the Italian restaurant was closed for renovation so dining options were limited.

I suspect that there are now better options in Singapore at this price point.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
SRSManagement, Public Relations Manager at The St. Regis Singapore, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Dear Charlie1001,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review of your experiences.

I am glad that you enjoyed our accommodation as well as dining at Brasserie Les Saveurs.

I do concur that the instances you detailed should not have occurred.

You should have been met with the personal service we promise our guests, and I can only apologise that this was not the case during your recent stay with us.

If you would reach out to me personally at the hotel, I appreciate the opportunity to connect with you, and work towards rebuilding your confidence.

Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Before I delve into the reasons why this hotel is highly overvalued, I should note that the hotel itself is beautiful. I believe they commissioned an American architect and the decor is very nice. They use a lot of deeper and richer colors and it gives off a sense of class.

Unfortunately, St. Regis' service is unable to live up to the expectation that St. Regis' pricing and decor set.

My wife and I stayed one night in a suite, but we encountered the following difficulties:

- My father wasn't able to check-in to his own room until after 4:30pm (with an inflexible check-out time of 12pm, this is crazy)

- I asked for a butler to come move several bags from my father's room to my suite (St. Regis touts 24 hour dedicated butler service. As my dad joked - it takes 24 hours for the butler to come), he comes almost half an hour later, and offers the following explanation for the tardiness: The hotel is at full occupancy, also, the St. Regis hosts many VIP guests, such as a lot of royalty from Dubai. This infuriated me for two reasons:

Firstly, I don't know how a high class hotel such as the St. Regis is going to tell me that they don't have the manpower to deal with full occupancy. It's obvious they don't have the manpower because their housekeeping is unable to turnover the rooms until almost 5pm on a weekday. In another tripadvisor review, I saw one of the manager responses quote "full occupancy" as a source of their problems. Hey St. Regis - You're a premier hotel, and you need to start filling out your staff to be able to meet the demands of a fully occupied hotel. I imagine that's business 101.

Secondly, I don't need to be told there are more important people than myself staying at the hotel. Please don't insinuate that my time is worth less than someone else's time because of their pedigree or wealth. If you expect royalty to be highly resource intensive, you need to hire new staff rather than take away staff that would otherwise be serving me. I pay way too much for that sort of treatment.

- I called the front desk to send up a transformer because I needed it urgently. They called me back 20 minutes later saying they don't have one available. If I need one "urgently", please at least check to see if you have one so you can let me know asap that there is none available. I would have found other ways of solving my problem. This one ended up being a massive pain in the neck and cost me 20 minutes that I didn't have.

- And here's the worst story of the night: It was actually my wedding night and my wife and I retired to our suite at 12:30am after spending the end of our wedding night out with family. We wanted a nice bottle of wine to just settle down and and relax. The room service menu had a few selections of wine but stated that it has a more extensive list upon request. I called downstairs to have the list sent up, and 10 minutes later, f&b calls me to say that I have the menu in the room. I ask, "is it the one in the room service menu?" She responds, "Yes that's the one." I inform her that it says there's a more extensive list available. She says she will get it to me right away. Another 10 minutes pass and I call again, they said it's coming up. Half an hour after the initial call, the menu still has not arrived. Infuriated, my wife and I just walk out, and the only option we find is 7-11. So rather than a nice meal and some nice wine to end the night, we end up with 7-11's finest, as well as a bag of Lay's Sour Cream & Onion. It wasn't exactly the way we wanted to end our wedding night, and really it was all due to St. Regis' ineptitude.

- There were a few minor technical problems as well including running out of tissue, faulty light (that the technician actually took out the entire bedside console to try and fix, and ended up resetting electricity to our entire room for).

- To end on a bright note, the shower was pretty amazing.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody. Not just because of a bad personal experience, but because the service received fell so short of what you expect at the price point. I've stayed in motels with much snappier service than the St. Regis. There are many cheaper hotels along Orchard that will give you a better overall experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JonathanL969,

Foremost, thank you for your review, and for choosing our hotel as the address for your wedding celebrations.

Having reviewed your feedback, I do agree with you that there were a number of shortfalls on the part of the hotel. You certainly expected the level of service that we have promised, and I apologise to have disappointed you and your wife during your stay.

Each and every one of our guests are viewed as VIP, and I deeply regret that you were made to feel less important, or that you were prioritised below other guests. I assure you that , operationally, this was not the case and I sincerely apologise for the mismanagement and communication to you by our staff.

I do hope for an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel, and when you do, for me to personally meet you to offer my apologies and work towards delighting you during your next visit.

The St. Regis Singapore

Been to The St. Regis Singapore? Share your experiences!