“Cheap in a good way” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fragrance Hotel - Sapphire

Save Saved
You added Fragrance Hotel - Sapphire to your Saves list
Fragrance Hotel - Sapphire
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Lorong 10 Geylang | Geylang, Singapore 399037, Singapore   |
Ranked #163 of 291 hotels in Singapore
Dublin
“Cheap in a good way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed here in September 2013 for a few hours as our bus arrived in early from Terrenganu and our main hotel wouldn't let us check in early. It's not glamorous or fancy but it was exactly what we needed, a cheap, clean hotel where we could grab a few hours sleep. The staff seemed nice too although we had very little interaction with them.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Ask for an upgrade to "Deluxe" room., they are a little bigger to similar priced accommodation in the area. Clean, central and good for cheap food. Only a 15 minute walk to MRT. they will also give you an extra 30 minutes for checkout if you ask.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We got a taxi from the airport which cost about s$20 and we were to,d by the taxi driver that this was a red light district!! We should have done our research before hand but we did not see anything like that when we did arrive only some dodgy drug dealings the first night. It's a very safe area more local than touristy with loads of convenient shops and food stalls.

As you first walk in to the hotel you are hit with a powerful fragrance which takes a bit of time to get used to. The staff are friendly even if they were with another customer they would always acknowledge you and let you know they would be with you in a moment. The rooms are clean but could be a bit better as we had hair in our shower drain when we arrived and other people's hair in the draws but overall it's a clean and fresh hotel the room is nicely decorated with a nice wash room attached. The man behind reception on most days called Ong was very helpful and always greeted you with a smile and couldn't go out of his way to help you ... For the price and the area it is definitely a good hotel and worth staying here if you are on a budget compared to other hotels in Singapore.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

The lobby smells like someone's trying to cover up some horrific disaster in the toilet. If you have sinus issues hold your breath until you get into the lift unless you wanna sound like Fran Drescher for the rest of the day!

No free Wi-Fi unless you upgrade your room, superior doesn't count. Otherwise SP$5 for 2 hours - SP$18 for the day. That was the first irritation. It's free if you book on their website and pay over double the price.

Room size was ok but the one thing I can't get over is the vinyl bed! I know this is the red light district, but come on.. seriously? Sliding off the bed and waking up with your face stuck on vinyl isn't a pleasant way to wake up, usually.

Staff are not very friendly.. especially the lady (?) at reception. Smile, I thought those were free or is there a charge involved with those too?

Haven't stayed anywhere else in Singapore so don't have anything to compare with. But after staying here, Fragrance hotels simply stink and will be forever crossed off my list.

• Stayed August 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The first thing you will notice is the fragrance of the hotel. It's not necessarily a bad smell, more like an overpowering air freshener. The room was an ok size for the price, had a double bed and a side unit with a kettle and some cups. There was also a small wash room with a shower, toilet and sink. The cleanliness of the room was poor. There were hairs on the floor of the wash room that weren't mine, these were there even before I used the wash room. Some of them stayed there throughout the 5 nights I was there. There were also random hairs around the floor of the bed, including 2 really long ones in the draw with the hair drier. I know they weren't my hairs because I have short brown hair and the ones on the floor were long/black and the two in the draw were blonde and behind the door of the wash room they were short and curly. There was also some toilet roll on the floor behind the toilet throughout my stay. The wardrobe also smelled really badly of BO. This means I kept all my clothes in my suitcase.
At around midnight I ran out of toilet paper. I went down to reception where I waited for around 5 minutes whilst someone else was being checked in. I told the lady behind reception that I'd run out of toilet roll, she looked annoyed that I asked for it in front of other guests but she said that she would get one sent up to my room. Half an hour later I was still sitting in my room waiting. So I went back down to reception and asked her where my toilet roll was. It seemed as if she didn't really care, she went in the room out the back to talk to the cleaning lady and then came straight back and handed it to me and walked off, didn't even say sorry.
You get what you pay for I suppose.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I thought this was a great place to stay at a very reasonable rate for Singapore. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the closest MRT station, but you can also get a bus around the corner of the hotel that drops you off right at the station. The room was clean and spacious. The hotel certainly isn't in the nicest part of town, but I never felt unsafe at any time. There are lots of good hawker centres and food options all around the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
bradford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Arriving at the hotel at 10pm i was horrified. I had read about the red light district but didnt worry. Around 70 ladies linned the streets of Geylang, pimps visable. The main point was round the corner of the hotel but around 6-10 ladies outside hotel between 10pm-6am! Once inside i was assured and felt safer. 24hr staff on reception, free upgrade to a small but clean room. Shower room is a wet room but is fine. Comfortable bed with one pillow each, im sure you could ask for more. Free tooth brush and water. No safety deposit box which was disappointing. It cost $18spd in taxi from airport.
Staff helpful and gave advice on which bus to catch etc bus number 80 or 100 takes you to Sentosa Vivo mall $1.50spd one way. Great mall, upstairs on top floor and out of glass doors we found a lovely oriental food hall then caught monorail to universal studios $74spd overpriced but enjoyable!
Geyland as an area was mainly full of cheap food outlets, we ate at the indian muslim food house, food was to spicy for me but reasonable with choice. Shop direct from hotel sells snacks etc. i went out at 4am for a drink past all of the prostitutes and i felt safe doing so, no problems! Im not sure id be happy to stay in the area with children who would question the viewable situation!! All in all a decent hotel for a cheap price, okay for a few nights.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Fragrance Hotel - Sapphire? Share your experiences!