“Strategically located hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Penta Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Singapore
Penta Hotel
You added Penta Hotel to your Saves list
33 Birch Road, Singapore 219894 , Singapore (Rochor)   |
Ranked #195 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Chennai (Madras), India
“Strategically located hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Located just a stone throw away from Farrer park MRT, this hotel is moderately priced when compared to rest of the hotels in Singapore and the room was decent but outdated got a family room facing the Farrer park which was a plus and food would not be a problem since lot of hotels available nearby Mustafa center.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I stayed in Penta Hotel in mid April 2012 with my family. We were a a big group and stayed in no window rooms. On a positive note, staff at the reception were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a very good location as it is next door to the Farrell Park MRT and few mints walk to Mustafa centre and busy indian restaurants. So I will give 5 stars for the location!!

Rooms were small, but we payed only $90 per double room per night. It served our purpose as we only went to the room at night to sleep and were out by first thing in the morning as the purpose of visit to Singapore was sight seeing. Double bed is slightly smaller than an average double bed. Rooms were cleaned every day and tied up by the time we got back in the evening. Bathroom was clean and had hot water. Do not expect luxury facilities, but for what you pay in Little india, this is decent hotel.

THIS IS A BIT I AM SO ANNOYED WITH AND I WANT EVERY TRAVELLER TO SINGAPORE AND ESPECIALLY TO THIS HOTEL TO KNOW.

I booked a 10 seater van from the following company- name of the company- Doctor Transport, General Manager Al farid Khan, tel 98224405, email doctor transport@gmail.com while I was walking in Little india.. He agreed $35 which is the standard amount to travel from Little india to the airport if you hire a van. He told us that if we book through the hotel, it will cost $45 and he will do us for $35!
he arrived to pick us on time and while we were loading our luggages, I saw him talking to the woman at the reception ( a chinese woman in her may be mid 40s-50s). Both of them came to me and asked me to pay $45 to the reception. I then said the agreed price was $35. They both said that is not true and hotel charges $10 on top of the $35 charge!! I could not believe how the van driver was blatantly lying in front of me having agreed for $35 the previous day. It was very clear that the woman at the reception wanted a cut from this hire. I was so annoyed and i said that we do not want the van and we will hire a different van. Then they said that we have to pay $30 cancellation charge which was a big lie to put us under pressure. I have to say that spoilt my holiday in Singapore as we had a great time until this moment. I could not believe the dishonesty of these people and putting us under so much pressure to earn $10 extra which was clear a dirty way of earning money!!!
As we were getting ready to leave to go to the airport, i did not have energy to argue or call the police!! which i should have done. I ended up paying extra $10 and went in that van to the airport. I am not bothered about that extra $10 i paid!! It is the malicious attempt by the hotel staff member ( the chinese woman at the reception) and the van driver (details above) who tried to make extra money out of us!!!! SO BE CAREFUL AND BE VERY CLEAR WHEN YOU HIRE VANS LIKE THIS. A friend mine told me that i should have called the police, i regret not doing that!!!

Room Tip: Please read my review about the the problem i got into!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Nara, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

The last time I came to Singapore over a year ago, I really liked Little India compared to any other area. The food is cheap and the Mustafa Center area had everything I needed for souvenirs, food, Internet cafe, etc.

This time I did a search on Google Maps for hotels close to the Mustafa Center that were cheap. I found Penta Hotel but didn't realize how close it was. It is only 1 minute from the Mustafa Center and big street that has many Indian/Middle Eastern restaurants.

The room is basic but has free Wi-fi and cable tv with good movie channels. There is a convenient store next door for late night drinks or munchies.

This hotel is on Birch Street which most drivers did not know so the best thing may be to have them drop you off in front of the mosque. It is next door to the hotel and they know it.

The hotel is also a stones throw from Ferrer Park Subway Station if you want to save cash,

I paid 100 Singapore Dollars for my double room with a window. 90 if you are ok to have no window.

The desk staff was nice. Walls are thin though and a lot of people just hanging out in front of the hotel or near the elevators which may be a turn off for some,

Overall though, for those that just need a place to crash for a night or 2 and convenient, this is your place.

Room Tip: Eat at the restaurant across from the mosque on the corner, it is cheap and tasty.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Kolkata
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Just opposite Serangoon Plaza (main entrance of Mustafas) behind a mosque. Run by an elderly chinese couple. OK if you just want to sleep.
No breakfast/dining facilities. Only thing you get is hot/cold water and sachets of dehydrated tea or coffee. However, being so close to Mustafa's there are a number of 24 hr food joints very close.
Adjacent to Farrer Park MRT entrance.
Free wifi with decent speeds.
3-bed room was for 140SGD.

Room Tip: Just check a couple of rooms before choosing one.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Virudhunagar, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

Can anyone give me the tariff for the stay there, preferrably a private double room

And was there complimentary breakfast

Any site link to this hotel.... please do inform (kalaimathan@yahoo.com)

• Stayed March 2011
Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Good things:
1) The front receptionist at that time (Nancy) was accommodating.
2) Free WiFi
3) Less than 1-minute walk from Ferrar Park MRT station
4) Less than 5-minute walk from Mustafa Complex, and arrays of Indian restaurants

Bad things:
1) Room cleanliness could be improved. Found strands of hair on towel provided.

Bottom line:
My stay was mainly to have a bed to sleep on at night, as I visited many places during the day, so I came back to hotel quite late. Therefore it was good enough for me.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Hanoi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

The hotel is good for travellers who by compulsion have to live near KK Hospital(like us) or want to be in the Little India district. However rest of the things relating to the Hotel are simply pathetic to say the least. The balding male receptionist and the older female receptionist are both rude to the core. Rather than assissting the guest they make sure that the guests are bullied. For every question asked, be prepared to get a rude curt reply, which most of the time is nonsensical. The Manager should take notice of this and immediately remove these two people. The rooms are ok but the amenities are basic. The fridge in our room was not working and our children's medicine were spoiled because of that. Only travellers who have no other option to stay elsewhere should stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Penta Hotel? Share your experiences!