“sky orchid” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added SkyOrchids to your Saves list
SkyOrchids
SkyOrchids
96A Lor 27 Geylang | Next to Aljunied MRT Station, Singapore 388198, Singapore (Geylang)   |
Ranked #248 of 292 hotels in Singapore
scotland
“sky orchid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Have stayed in this Hostel numerous times . Yes the previous lady in charge could be difficult ,but I did not have any problems with her ,apart from forgetting to take my shoes of .This lady has moved on . The young lady in charge now is very helpful . The hostel is clean and tidy ,beds are very comfortable . There is a basic breakfast of toast ,cereal , coffee . My last visit was Feb 2013 . I consider the hostel good value for what you pay and will be using it again .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

My friend discovered the hostel and booked it on the premise that it was the cheapest one she could find. When traveling with a large group, staying at a hotel is pretty much out of the question.

The location is good, as it's very near the Aljuned MRT station. First timers may be a bit turned off by the surroundings, especially if you're used to staying in hotels but it seems safe enough. A lot of eateries and even a 7-Eleven is nearby for your convenience (note: There's a restaurant on the first floor of the building. The smell of whatever they're cooking gets caught in the stairwell of the hostel, and it's rather er, surprising at first).

The place is clean. If you've lived in a dorm it's pretty much like that. Rooms are mixed (I shared mine with my five friends, all girls, and two guys who I don't know), and range from four people to about six or seven max. We were able to rent one of the rooms for private use since there were a lot of us. Each room has an air-conditioner and a locker where you can keep your valuables. The beds are comfy enough and the sheets are changed as soon as you check out (saw this when the two guys I mentioned earlier left).

The hostel occupies two floors of the building (2nd & 3rd floors). One of the rules of the house is you have to leave your shoes outside. Slippers/flip-flops seem to be ok when you're using the toilets/taking a bath. The landlady offers breakfast, mostly bread, cereal and your choice of coffee, tea, hot choco or milk. You can buy toiletries from her, and use the laundry for a fee. Internet is free though. There's a common-use computer although you can get the wi-fi password from the landlady.

Seems good enough right? However, like what most of the reviews say, the landlady isn't someone you might warm up to. My interaction with her was limited, but my impression of her is that she's brash, straightforward and rather short tempered. I don't know if it's a language barrier thing, but she's gotten into an argument with two of my friends on the first day whilst we were checking in. If she doesn't like you, she won't hesitate to say so. I thought it was just us she was like that with, but it seems she's like that with most of the visitors. As one reviewer here noted, if you're nice to her she's nice to you too. I'd give props to her though, as she was quite helpful when we needed assistance with some documents we needed printed out.

Verdict: Location, facilities and cost is pretty good. You truly get what you paid for. Just stay on the landlady's nice side and everything will be quite all right. Best of luck!

Room Tip: Try getting a room on the 2nd floor towards the left from the entrance. It's further from the MR...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Jakarta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

Basically the hostel works fine for me, cheapest that i could find... compares to any other chaep hostel around geylang... clean, comfortable bed..
For a very low budget traveler, this place is heaven!
All you have to deal is the lady who runs it, she's can be a lil bit harsh, but c'mon dont be too over sensitive, (all that you need is a place to crash here). If you're nice enough, I can assure you, she can be nice too :)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

that landlady there is a monster.b4 coming to singapore,we made reservations and was ask to pay thru credit card 10percent of the total amount but when we arrived there,it seems that they did not made reservation for us and were asked to stay with 2 males inside the room stating that its a mixed dorm in which we know nothing abt.this monster,noticing our discomfort,started to shout at us as if we were just insects.we came to singapore to enjoy and not to be maligned by this fat landlady monster.we told her we cant stay there because of the situation and she's so rude.she made us pay one day stay which we happily obliged just to be able to get rid of that appalling hostel.i dont recommend this hostel,you will surely regret it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Hualien
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

Kim is a nice lady. I felt very welcome. Clean rooms, friendly people. Good stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

This hostel advertises itself as 'stylish' and '5-star', with breakfast included. I saw no breakfast nor was it ever mentioned to me, the private room was bare except for the bed; the room didn't even have a curtain in the window, which was fronting the street and the windows of the opposite building. In the evenings it felt like being in a shop window. Nights were noisy. The only good thing I can say is that the guy who signed me in was reasonably friendly. I was very disappointed, as the reviews I'd read beforehand had seemed reasonable, or I'd never chosen this place.

• Liked — Close to MRT
  • Disliked — Too basic, even for a hostel
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
glasgow, scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

the only positive thing i can say about this hostel is its location which is near the mrt. When we stayed for 10 days last month we witnessed the owner freddy being abusive to his wife and towards other guests including ourselves. on our last evening freddy was as usual drinking heavily n told us at 10oclock to turn the kitchen light off. we did but told him we were not happy about the way we had been treated - he started shouting at us and woke our neighbour in our room. he became v aggressive n told us that he would make sure that something happened to us when we reached thailand - we spent the night frightened for our safety. the next day at the airport we made a complaint to the tourism board. Pick another hostel in singapore just to ensure you have a wonderful time.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the owner
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to SkyOrchids? Share your experiences!